U2 Rip Off Merchants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Never thought ad see the day when I could acuse my fave 4 musicians of blatantly copying another artist. Listen to start of David Bowie's CAN YOU HEAR ME and you will almost instantly recognise the start of U2s NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE RIVER. The similarities are frightening right down to guitar riff type thing. Only difference is Bowies tune is slower tempo.
Gawd help us!!!

Can You Hear Me came out 20 years before North and South of the River

:huh:

First of all. I never failed to be amazed how some people in here cant heart anything close to a u2 put down without getting all defensive.
As far as the bowie song being 20 years older, does that make it immune from being copied? Methinks not!
Also, as far as "chord progression" goes, I have been playing musical instruments for 30 years. I know a tune when I hear one. I never sed it was the same fookin piece of music. I was highlighting the similarities of the intros. Thats all!

gman said:

Also, as far as "chord progression" goes, I have been playing musical instruments for 30 years. I know a tune when I hear one. I never sed it was the same fookin piece of music. I was highlighting the similarities of the intros. Thats all!

Then it can't be a "blantant" rip off.

:|

yes it can. Vannilla ice was taken to court for copying Queens and DAVID BOWIES (pattern developing here) under pressure bass line. He got off wi copyright because of 1 extra note in his version. Yet it is widely regarded as the same riff.

gman said:
yes it can. Vannilla ice was taken to court for copying Queens and DAVID BOWIES (pattern developing here) under pressure bass line. He got off wi copyright because of 1 extra note in his version. Yet it is widely regarded as the same riff.

But it WAS the same bass line, just with one extra note.

But a 'C F C Bb' chord progression and a 'D G/D' chord progression isn't...

So I really have no clue what you're hearing...

The key in which u2 do any given song live depends on which key bono decides to sing in. Therfore the chord progression you seem to love to mention changes completely. Does that make it a completely different song? I think not. Dont read to much into chord progression

gman said:
Does that make it a completely different song?

No, it just puts it in a different key.

But that comes no where even close to proving your point.:lol:

If it was "blantant" as you like to say, the chord progression would be at least somewhat close.

Two things to correct you on since yer being so pedantic wi me. Firstly your use of quotes should only be used if quoting directly what I said, which you are not! Secondly is there such a word as "blantant" ?

gman said:
Two things to correct you on since yer being so pedantic wi me. Firstly your use of quotes should only be used if quoting directly what I said, which you are not! Secondly is there such a word as "blantant" ?

So you're going nowhere with your theory so you attack my spelling?

That's great.:rolleyes:

corianderstem said:
Smells Like Teen Spirit = More Than a Feeling by Boston

Come as you are - Nirvana = Eighties - Killing Joke

Another Nirvana rip off (but I love Nirvana)

gman said:

this case never went to court and it is rumored, although not confirmed, that Vanilla Ice settled out of court for the liscencing fees. To further that claim, Queen cites the use of Under Pressure in Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice in one of their 'greatest hits' type packages. If it weren't on the 'up on up' they could have been countersued for doing so. So I think it's fair to say that Queen/David Bowie were compensated for the use of that riff and all of the legalities were worked outside of court.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
that dastardly bono, always causing a ruckus

a ruckus you say?

breakfastclub74mm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom