U2 Repeating themselves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"dream out loud" appears in:
zooroopa and acrobat

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
"dream out loud" appears in:
zooroopa and acrobat

Don't forget Always.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

"Blown by the wind" makes appearances in:
Where The Streets Have No Name
Walk To The Water

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Bono's got a fixation with "fire/flame", "rain", "wind" and "storm" all throughout JT.

Gone: "You're holding on to every little thing so tightly that there's nothing left for you anyway"

Dirty Day: "You hold on to something so tight you've already lost it."

Originally posted by Saracene:
Bono's got a fixation with "fire/flame", "rain", "wind" and "storm" all throughout JT.

More "rain"
WGRYWH - "took a drive in the dirty rain"
Summer Rain - "I washed myself in the summer rain"

One that strikes me is "slipstream". I've heard it in Luminous Times and Zooropa (the song). Any other places you can think of?

A different take on the subject - musically, U2 repeat themselves quite frequently:

The guitar at the end of All I Want Is You is the REVERSE of the Bad "solo".

A part of the guitar solo in The Fly is identical to that in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

The killer sound in Dirty Day comes from the live versions of Bullet the Blue Sky.

There's a few more too.

Originally posted by sv:
A different take on the subject - musically, U2 repeat themselves quite frequently:

A part of the guitar solo in The Fly is identical to that in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

The killer sound in Dirty Day comes from the live versions of Bullet the Blue Sky.

There's a few more too.

this blows my mind! I never knew any of this. Now, with this knowledge, a new question is raised. Are U2 lazy or incredibly innovative?

*runs and hides fearing for his life*

Peace.

------------------
Peace on Earth.

Originally Posted By sv:A different take on the subject - musically, U2 repeat themselves quite frequently:

There's a few more too.

The AIWIY solo is not the "reverse" of the Bad solo. They are different. The Fly solo and SBS are similar but not identical in parts. Its just a major scale that Edge is playing.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Ever notice that the main part of Love is Blindness is just Acrobat slowed way down?!?!? check it out, its pretty cool. I'd say they tried it.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Lemonator -

In truth I have no musical aptitude whatsoever, so I didn't mean "reverse" in quite the literal sense that you might. However, if you listen to the relevant Bad and All I Want Is You guitar parts, they are nearly identical but . . . backwards in a sense. And my point was that all 3 examples I gave are quite clear instances of U2 repeating or copying itself.

SV

"repeating" yourself can mean burping too! maybe thats what he meant! Lol

------------------
Round and round the forum I go, where I stop nobody knows, cos I'm a annoying little piece of...Interference!

U2 repeating themselves?

U2 REPEATING THEMSELVES?!

biggrin.gif

Actually, the chords in Babyface are in the same progression as WOWY for the most part.

In a kind of related topic...

My favourite one is that the bass line in the middle part of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock almost veers into Blue Monday by New Order.

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
Lyrically I mean.. not a word or two, but a phrase.

I'm not interested in amateur attempts to point out which solo sounds the same as another if it's reversed and played upside down, neither which chord progressions you think are the same.

Like amazing man, Edge went from A to D in more than one song!!! Who would've thunk it?!?!?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom