U2 references in movies - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:22 PM
U2 references in movies

I watched "Taking Lives" last night & was pleasantly surprised to hear an abbreviated version of Bad being played during the opening and closing credits.

It got me to thinking of other movies where the band has been actaully been mentioned in the script, so here's the trick: Name a movie where any or all of the guys have been referenced, without using songs.

For example:

Movie: Saved! (XLNT little film, by the way!)
Quote: "Nice Bono glasses" - Cassandra, to Mary, about Mary's attempted disguise of a hat & large, round glasses while entering the Planned Parenthood clinic

Whatta' you think?? Can you guys come up with any others??

Old 05-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:22 PM
I've got one!!

I watched "Be Cool" a few weeks ago and i remember a quote saying something like this....
"Oh yeh sure, we'll just walk right up to Bono and say....."

I cant remember what came after it but I do remember his sexiness being mentioned.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Not sure of any ones in movies but the one in the Simpsons, rocks.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:22 PM
One of the obvious ones, The Commitments.

The guy has some of the basic band members together in the backyard and his father looks at them. “Is this the band then? Betcha U2 are shittin' themselves.”

Great film.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Refugee

I knew a website where there were about 50-80 references with details! Great site, but I lost the link. I'll try to find it...

ENTROPY has of course whole lot of U2's references. :P
Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 PM
saved by the bell had that episode where they camped out in the mall to buy U2 tickets

i know saved by the bell isnt a movie, so i guess i suck
Old 05-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Is that the one where they don't get any tickets and that little old lady gets the last batch of 'em?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
saved by the bell had that episode where they camped out in the mall to buy U2 tickets

i know saved by the bell isnt a movie, so i guess i suck
Contrary to the rumors, I don't believe you suck, Chiz!

And TV quotes are perfectly acceptable, too!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 08:22 PM
In About A Boy, Will starts playing Zoo Station in his flat and proceeds to turn it up really loud when Marcus continues to ring Will's door bell in time with the music. Will stops the CD when he gets fed up and goes to answer the door. We only get to hear the first couple of lines of the song though.

And those of you who know the Australian soap Neighbours may (or may not) be interested to know that U2 have been mentioned a couple of times in that. I can definitely remember Toadie saying he liked them one time and I also recall a conversation between Conor and Carmella where Carmella tells Conor he has to get rid of his U2 CDs. If memory serves it was The Joshua Tree.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by mtoreilly
In About A Boy, Will starts playing Zoo Station in his flat and proceeds to turn it up really loud when Marcus continues to ring Will's door bell in time with the music. Will stops the CD when he gets fed up and goes to answer the door. We only get to hear the first couple of lines of the song though.

I saw the thread title and was just gonna say that! About a Boy was on ITV last week i think weren't it?? i was just randomly flicking over channels and watched it for a bit, and Hugh Grant is walking down the street and Zoo Station starts playing, i couldn't believe it!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
The Fly

LOL!

Yeah it was on last week sometime. I saw it at the cinema with my girlfriend and as soon as that tapping sound at the beginning of the song started I grabbed her and said "It's Zoo Station!"

Made the film even better IMO
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
The Fly

Ok this isnt in a movie or tv show but I was in class last year, African American Literature, and I totally tuned out my professor until i heard him say "Jacob wrestled the angel, and the angel was overcome." I perked up and he was talking about some Biblical reference in a novel and he's like "ah looks like I got Brian's attention." He's a good friend to this day and he's well aware of my U2 addiction.

So yeah, not a movie, but U2 made it's way into a lecture
Old 05-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Wild Honey is on in the background during a scene in Vanilla Sky
Old 05-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I never get a chance to watch it anymore, but I thought someone mentioned a week or two ago that a character on ER recently made a comment to the effect of how unlikely it'd be to get U2 tickets....??? Anybody else catch that episode? Does such an episode even exist?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 01:22 PM
"Blown Away" with Jeff Bridges has U2 playing in the background. When Tommy Lee's character is dancing around making a bomb - isn't he singing ISHFWILF?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes thats the one i was thinking of Blown Away and yes its I still havent found what Im looking for

How about the "Friends" episode with With Or Without You in it....the big Ross and Rachal episode.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
War Child

I can't tell you how many people i've met that list "with or without you" as one of their favorite songs because it was the song that got ross and rachel back together.

The best U2 song in a movie, though, is "All I Want Is You" in Reality Bytes.

In the Simpsons episode where Homer is in a barbershop quartet they play a song on the roof of Moe's that is very remeniscent of when U2 filmed the "Where the Streets Have No Name" video on the top of the whiskey store in L.A. I always thought it was some sort of homage.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #18
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by mtoreilly
That's how I learned about the song! I TOTALLY loved it! (Favorite part of the movie -- when he just turns it up... Wish I could listen to it that loudly here).

I think they were in the Simpsons *twice* actually... I know someone mentioned it...

Also love the 'Saved' reference... Nice Bono shades, heh heh...

You all beat me to it!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #19
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
I never get a chance to watch it anymore, but I thought someone mentioned a week or two ago that a character on ER recently made a comment to the effect of how unlikely it'd be to get U2 tickets....??? Anybody else catch that episode? Does such an episode even exist?
My mom watched that episode -- she told me about it... It totally exists... (I laughed too because I felt special to have some tickets!)
Old 05-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #20
The Fly

Oh, and for Sex and the City fans, 'Even Better Than the Real Thing' plays at the very end of the episode when Carrie and Berger finally get together...