U2 references in movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's one movie with Melanie Grifith, I guess it's from the beginning of nineties, where she plays a prostitute and I remember there's a scene where she's driving over the bridge with "Some days are better than others" playing.

Then there's also one movie (I can't remember its name either) from the eighties I guess, where like a few guys go away for a weekend and one of them is about to get married. Then that bride-to-be shows up and she says she had a wild past, she even slept with Bono or Edge from U2, something like that.

There was a U2 reference on an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, where Larry goes to a U2 concert w/his wife. His friend/manager (I'm not sure, I don't regularly watch the show) is kind of teasing him about it and asking him if he knows anyone in the band. Larry goes, "Sure, I know the lead singer" and then proceeds to call him Bono (w/the long o).

edge3 said:
I'm Alan Partridge (aka Steve Coogan) has a few episodes with U2 references. One time he talks about "the song Sunday Bloody Sunday" : something about how awful sundays are or something. There's also a whole episode where he's looking for Bono's house (I think). He drives up to Bono's house and says something about "The Joshua Tree's" in the drive & at the end a spoof Bono turns up. Also at the beginning one of his female assistants says something like "do you like my pictures of each member of U2" (she has them glued to the front cover of her folder). As you can imagine it's all pretty funny.

:wink: Lovely Stuff!

He takes her to that huge National Trust house, pretending it's Bono's. Wonders thru the car park...

Sonia - "Who are all these cars belonging to?"

A.P - "These......are all Bonos. Yes he has the....biggest collection of hatchbacks in the country"

:wink:

vivaSA said:
There's one movie with Melanie Grifith, I guess it's from the beginning of nineties, where she plays a prostitute and I remember there's a scene where she's driving over the bridge with "Some days are better than others" playing.

MILK MONEY!!!!!!!!!

there is this show where that was filmed in pittsburgh, where they they the beginning of WTSHNN every few minutes:rolleyes:

in MRS DOUBTFIRE, the oldest sister Natalie has an AB era u2 poster even though the film was released in 1993.

On a movie called "Teen Witch" the main character says she is singing "a new U2 song".

It's not mentioned in that database.

digsy said:

thats "Entropy" the film about a U2 music video director who makes a film isnt it?
all shot in Cape Town where i'm from - i was at the concert they show later in the film, all recorded live at teh show with Bono delivery his lines on stage and the Wedding being shown on the big Popmart screen. it made no sense at the time causei dont think anyone knew they were even shooting a film but it all came together when i saw the movie.

Interesting stuff! Pretty cool that they recorded it at a real concert. I wonder if the main character is suppose to be Phil Joanau himself? Wasn't he the one that filmed "Rattle and Hum"?.

BluRmGrl said:
No one's mentioned this yet, so I'm probably wrong, but I thought on "Father Ted" there's a Joshua Tree poster on Dougal's side of the room -- or am I just completely daft? :crazy:

Yes there is, quite a nice touch:wink:

Even though its not a movie, on Rove Live (Australia chat/comedy show) one of the guys was reviewing the Eurovision song contest, and he remarked about one guitar player: "He can't decide whether his favourite U2 member is Bono or The Edge, what a wanker!".

Bono got mentioned on Top Gear yesterday?

Apparently, he drives a Maserati Quattroporte - nice choice

RA-D said:
Bono got mentioned on Top Gear yesterday?

Apparently, he drives a Maserati Quattroporte - nice choice

Suprised that moron even wants to say his name, after the way he slagged him off about "He should give all his millions away" in his 'Sun' column a few months ago.

He never did reply to my email I sent him after that. Someone else from the paper did, not JC tho.

Well they moved the car to super cool because Bono has one, so Clarkson can't dislike him that much.

look what I found on IMDb! Not much, but it`s kinda funny:wink:

Gilmore Girls" (2000)

Lorelai: Lane can't quit the band. She has to get famous and introduce me to Bono.

Dream for an Insomniac (1996)

Frankie: It's like a trinity. If Bono is God then Eddie Vedder would be Jesus.
George Carlin: Complaints and Grievances (2001) (TV)

George Carlin: Here's a group of musical vermin whose mother's we wished had a health plan involving abortion: Singers with one name. Bono, Sting, Jewel, Tiffany. They're too important to have a last name. What a crock of shit! Get a last fucking name. Here's a two word name for you; Pretentious Cocksucker! Huh, how do you like that? It's bad enough the music sucks, BONO! Besides, without a last name you can't find out where they live to throw a fucking bomb through their window.

:mad:

"Gilmore Girls" (2000)

Lorelai: When we're at a U2 concert, you are my best friend. But right now you are my sixteen-year-old daughter and I am telling you I do not want to have this conversation.

Commitments, The (1991)

Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.: Is this the band then? Betcha U2 are shittin' themselves.

That`s what I found for today

:)

mickeza said:
Well they moved the car to super cool because Bono has one, so Clarkson can't dislike him that much.

Yeah....Clarkson also featured U2's Elevation Tour plane on his show Mean Machines 2 or 3 years ago & they played WOWY & WTSHNN on that episode.

Also - They had a U2 question on Weakest Link last week - the question was something like : "Who had a 2004 hit with the song Vertigo?" and the (youngish) guy got the question right. Also last night (or night before) the last qualifying question on that quiz show Eggheads (18.00 BBC 2) was a U2 question - something like : Bono & 'The Edge' are members of which Irish rock band :

a) The Corrs
b) U2
c) The Dubliners

It's The Corrs isn't it? (only kidding!) :giggle: :wink:

Last edited:
No one has mentioned that totally "wrong", awesomely funny movie Family Guy; Stewie Griffith, The Untold Story. Peter is on a deserted island with Bono! It's toooo funny!

mtoreilly said:
LOL!

Yeah it was on last week sometime. I saw it at the cinema with my girlfriend and as soon as that tapping sound at the beginning of the song started I grabbed her and said "It's Zoo Station!"

Made the film even better IMO :)

Haha, I was lying on the couch watching it, and as soon as Zoo Station came on, I bolted upright and screamed. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom