U2 Recording video with Mary J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mofo2u2

The Fly
I'm from Mexico city and right now they are recording a video with Mary J here in the city for the new album of Mary.

A lot of security, the street is closed.

The place: Colonia Guerrero.

Anyone has more information? there are rumors that says Edge at the end of the last show of Mexico went to USA.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:scream:

:sad:

Numbology said:
It is not getting better...

:|

:ohmy:

You feel the same? :hyper:

Honestly, though. I think it's cool that they did a different version of One with Mary J. Blige. I think it's a decent take on the song and I'm glad that the collaboration happened. But a single? :no:

Personally, when I bring up the song One in a conversation from now on, I don't want it to be known as "that Mary J. Blige song with those old guys." Might just be me, though.

XHendrix24 said:

:ohmy:

You feel the same? :hyper:

Honestly, though. I think it's cool that they did a different version of One with Mary J. Blige. I think it's a decent take on the song and I'm glad that the collaboration happened. But a single? :no:

Personally, when I bring up the song One in a conversation from now on, I don't want it to be known as "that Mary J. Blige song with those old guys." Might just be me, though.

that's exactly how I feel, like U2 is just tagging along on some R&B bandwagon or something :|

kids my age nowadays think covers of songs are the original versions

the godawful Bowling for Soup version of "I Melt With You" and The Atari's version of "Boys of Summer" :huh:

LemonMacPhisto said:

the godawful Bowling for Soup version of "I Melt With You" and The Atari's version of "Boys of Summer" :huh:

Mary J. Blige's version of One is hardly in the same crap league as the ones you mention.

Jiminy Crickets, people! It's a fine version of a wonderful song. The band plays on it, so it sounds like U2.

:rolleyes: You guys are acting like Celine Dion is doing this with a Kenny G backup band.

ETA: Have you guys even heard the studio version? I bought from itunes and it's wonderful.

Last edited:
I've heard the live version in Vegas, and thought it was decent, but wasn't terribly impressed. I've ranged from disliking to hating the other two live instances I have seen (Katrina and Grammys). So I must say that I have not been inspired to purchase the damn thing... :yuck:

martha said:

Mary J. Blige's version of One is hardly in the same crap league as the ones you mention.

Yeah, it's worse. :|

I would consider it to be a form of cruel and unusual torture.

I don't like it. Whatever ppl can tell me, I don't like it.
For me, "One" is that song original from the Achtung Baby album, plenty of those meanings, with all those videos and imagery. A song that reminds me the ZooTv era, or reminds me the live performances from the last tours (which I love even more).

But... why? Why did they have to put that women (with all the respect, and I'm an appreciator of Mary's music) screaming and scratching louder than that beautiful instrumental??? Why did they screwed it all up? I feel my heart breaking into pieces when I hear that.:scream: :sad:

And now... a video? Nooooooooooooooooooo!:(

What's with U2 and doing all this shit with these hip-hop stars? It's starting to piss me off! FOCUS ON THE NEXT ALBUM, NOT MAKING MUSIC WITH SHITTY RAPPERS AND TEEN POP BULLSHIT!!!!!:mad: :rant: :mad: :rant:

JMScoopy said:
What's with U2 and doing all this shit with these hip-hop stars? It's starting to piss me off! FOCUS ON THE NEXT ALBUM, NOT MAKING MUSIC WITH SHITTY RAPPERS AND TEEN POP BULLSHIT!!!!!:mad: :rant: :mad: :rant:

Yeah, because U2 has done so much with so many hip-hop artists.

:huh:

Wow do people really hate M.J.B. that much? :confused: No one said anyone had to watch the video. Chill out posting chums, it's not the end of the world. U2 likes to collaborate with different artists. No biggie.

When Johnny Cash does a cover that sounds nothing like the original it's cool? But when M.J.B. basically remakes the exact same song with added vocals it's a piece of shit? Wow, I have alot to learn from this forum.

catlhere said:
Wow do people really hate M.J.B. that much?

Simple: she's crap.

When Johnny Cash does a cover that sounds nothing like the original it's cool? But when M.J.B. basically remakes the exact same song with added vocals it's a piece of shit? Wow, I have alot to learn from this forum.

Look up 'originality' in the dictionary. Cash had it. THAT is why I think his cover works.

catlhere said:
When Johnny Cash does a cover that sounds nothing like the original it's cool? But when M.J.B. basically remakes the exact same song with added vocals it's a piece of shit?
That's exactly the point, and why I personally hate what she did to it.

Johnny Cash's version of the song basically sounded nothing like the original. He took a good song and made it excellent. He made it his own. At the same time, he was still able to convey it in a way that was very true U2. It retained its meaning.

Mary J. basically took the original album version and just added a whole bunch of shit to it. Part of One's charm is its minimalist type of sound. Her booming, overdone vocals totally kill it. The beauty of One lies in its ability to affect you without screaming at you, and I think Mary J. completely missed that point.

Basically, why fix something that isn't broken? I would have a whole lot more respect for her cover if it wasn't basically the same fucking thing U2 recorded years ago, but worse.

I have a feeling if the Cash version was done by some random now-and-days country artist like Cowboy Troy, people would be insulting it left and right. Seeing as it's the "legend" J.Cash, it seems to have alot of clout around here. It really is just rhythm guitar with monotone vocals. I don't see how he makes the song "excellent" besides with his status as music icon.

Likewise on the other end, if M.J.B's reworkings had been done by someone who's not labeled as a Rap/HipHop artist (which basically translates to "crap" for the close-minded elitists around here), I have a hunch people wouldn't have as much unbridled disgust for it. It's obvious that Bono can barely sing the song anymore the way it was recorded, and is likely bored of singing it (which is pretty apparent), and thus M.J.B. adds a little more oomph where he is lacking.

It's a different style of singing for the song, and i fail to see why it is ok to rework the song into an acoustic southern diddy, but not ok to to venture towards the opposite direction and add more powerful/emotional vocals to a song that maybe doesn't have much power/emotion anymore to begin with. :huh:

Last edited:
Is Mary J. Blige even hip hop, though? I would've considered her more soul than hip hop. But then again I'm not good with genres.

And I don't think disliking her cover of One equates to hating hip hop artists.

catlhere said:
I have a feeling if the Cash version was done by some random now-and-days country artist like Cowboy Troy, people would be insulting it left and right. Seeing as it's the "legend" J.Cash, it seems to have alot of clout around here. It really is just rhythm guitar with monotone vocals. I don't see how he makes the song "excellent" besides with his status as music icon.

Nice conspiracy theory, but it won't fly. Almost all country I dislike, including much of Cash's work. But he really pulled off One brilliantly and I was impressed.

Likewise on the other end, if M.J.B's reworkings had been done by someone who's not labeled as a Rap/HipHop artist (which basically translates to "crap" for the close-minded elitists around here), I have a hunch people wouldn't have as much unbridled disgust for it.

Another conspiracy theory that just won't fly. I don't care what she's labelled, she makes One sound like it's being sung by a couple of cats being strangled.

And if I'm elitist for disliking hiphop, then great, I'm an elitist. Hiphop's shite and deserves to be disliked.

is likely bored of singing it (which is pretty apparent)

And yet he sings it not only nightly with U2, but at every bloody non-tour event too. I think he's in love with the bloody song.

Axver said:

And yet he sings it not only nightly with U2, but at every bloody non-tour event too. I think he's in love with the bloody song.

That's because he wrote it. One is for U2 what Imagine was for Lennon.

It's just one of the greatest songs ever written.

Axver said:

And if I'm elitist for disliking hiphop, then great, I'm an elitist. Hiphop's shite and deserves to be disliked.

:up: :applaud: :yes:

This hiphop/rap/r&b whatever the fuck you call it has dominated the music industry for too long. I don't see whats so special about someone singing or talking fast saying "fuck" and "nigga" every sentence to some shitty computer-generated track, or some rip off someone else's music. And all these black, female singers all sound the same, it's so unoriginal and repetative.

mads said:

And I don't think disliking her cover of One equates to hating hip hop artists.

:up:

I do not hate the genre at all.. it is not something I listen to often, but I can certainly enjoy certain songs... I thought Kanye was excellent in Portland... I just do not generally enjoy HER music from past experience and I certainly don't enjoy ther version of One.

:shrug:

I like MJB. She has a great voice and a great stage posture. I guess she's not rap/hip-hop. She has a bit of that, but she is a soul/r'n'b singer.
I just hate what they (she and U2!) made with One. They took a great rock ballad with beautiful lyrics and put that girl screaming louder as she could and making alterations in every note she could. That song is rock and was made for Bono singing it, not to be transformed in a prototype of rock+hip-hop+soul+r'n'b. They transformed it in something that I can't even explain what it is.
I don't like much too Cash's version.
But once I heard a cover of Robbie Williams of One and I must confess that the guy made a very good job. Did not transform much the song, and he had enough strenght to sing it.

JMScoopy said:
This hiphop/rap/r&b whatever the fuck you call it has dominated the music industry for too long. I don't see whats so special about someone singing or talking fast saying "fuck" and "nigga" every sentence to some shitty computer-generated track, or some rip off someone else's music. And all these black, female singers all sound the same, it's so unoriginal and repetative.

Oh please. As if all hip-hop is like that. Just because that's what they play on MTV doesn't mean it's representative of the best music in the genre. That's just like having only heard bands like Simple Plan and Linkin Park on the radio and assuming that all white people music is people singing poorly and whining angstily about how their lives are SO TERRIBLE and how they're SO SAD about the fact that girls don't like them. There's more to hip-hop than what's played on MTV. I really don't see how people don't get that by now.

And I'm not even commenting on that last sentence. :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom