U2: read this! (it may hurt but it's the truth!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the definition posted as per "fanatic'" it describe me about U2. BUT, I do not agree with everything they say or do nor do I love every single song they have written. Anyone would get tired of listening to the same song over and over again. There are many things I love about them for the past 25 years. I think Bono is a phenom song writer, and the rest of the guys are extrordinary. I know everything about them...only get a chance to see them when they come to my area. I am going to post a thread to see what songs people do not admire as much as others. I have at least one or two off of each album. :huh:

I do however, strongly believe in
COEXISTING, LOVE AND PEACE ON EARTH:heart:

twochordcool said:

Who would YOU call their "peers"?

What current band is ANYWHERE NEAR as good as U2, as far as quality, consistency and longevity is concerned?

But you're right - I have given up on most other rock artists because their albums have been a disappointment and a waste of money.

I was going to name some bands, but then I looked back at a bunch of your posts and decided it would be a complete waste of my time. You are clearly not interested in anyone else's ideas or viewpoint, and you denigrate people who have different taste than you. So I won't bother.

But I will say there are plenty of excellent bands out there -- some newer, some have been around for decades. It's too bad you are so blinded by fanaticism that you cannot see (or more accurately, hear).

Here's my take on it: I'm guilty of being part of the group waiting for the U2 of 1997. I realize 1997 is a long time ago and it will not come back. I too miss the abstractness and darkness of previous records although I don't particularily dislike ATYCLB or HTDAAB; they are just simply written, less intense and less magical. I believe U2 are finished experimenting a la Zooropa/POP and are on a path less dangerous.

Maybe the decision to make simple songs are not all U2's. Maybe the record company sat them down and begged for something different; who knows. I feel that in their attempt to go back to basics, U2 did not accomplish producing anything even close to OCTOBER, WAR or the JOSHUA TREE. OK, maybe the Joshua Tree is pushing it. I mean, it's hard making records and you cannot please every fan but the next record needs to have more substance for sure.

the problem with this thread is that once again, a poster here tries to claim that his/her opinion is indeed fact.

This thread is rated one star? So I guess the database can't hold negative values?

These are all very keen points. But I don't think you've realized *why* Bono has changed his approach to making music over the past few years: it's because he's turning into a politician.

A politician has to appeal to the masses, to paint in broad, simple strokes, and talk about sweeping, universal themes. Bono has always had a little bit of politician in him, going back to the beginning, but now, it's a much bigger part of who he is.

It definitely affects his songwriting, no doubt. He's a lot more careful, more safe, and conservative these days. It's a long way from the free-wheeling, experimental days of Zooropa and Pop.

I think you'll see that change on the next album, though. Bono's even hinted in interviews that it's time for a change. I've been following Bono closely for years now, and I can tell he's due for a big shift again soon.

again why are people assuming there opinion is set in stone?, what IF people actually think the last 2 albums are amazingly great?, what IF people think the so called "experimentation" of the 90's wasnt too great? i mean yes it was experimenting for U2, but all they did was copy the electronica sound of the 90's, god forbid but what if people do actually find the U2 of now much better than the U2 of then?

KUEFC09U2 said:
...what IF people actually think the last 2 albums are amazingly great?, what IF people think the so called "experimentation" of the 90's wasnt too great? i mean yes it was experimenting for U2, but all they did was copy the electronica sound of the 90's, god forbid but what if people do actually find the U2 of now much better than the U2 of then?

You are entitled to post that view even if it is entirely wrong and misinformed as I am entitled to post this reply.

twochordcool said:

I don't think you can be a true fan AND criticise them - unless they REALLY screw up somehow, which they haven't.

Do you know what I mean?

I’ll take things that don’t make sense for $800, Alex.

If you don’t criticize your favorite band or movie star or author, that’s when you’re not being a true fan – you’re being a blind follower who will worship at the alter of whatever the hell you’re given. That’s scary.

I would think, of all people, Bono would promote the kind of free thinking and criticism the band gets from here.

I remember when ATYCLB came out and I posted on some old AOL newsgroup that I didn’t think the album worked. In turn, I was crucified like my last name was Hitler. I vowed never to go back there again, and I never have.

Unfortunately, no matter where you go, you’re going to get those who think that not only is your own opinion wrong but you’re an idiot for even having thought what you thought.

Look, there’s tons of things I don’t like about U2 AND these boards.

I’m not a fan of COBL or WILATW, but I know there are people who would fall over themselves just to hear these tunes. I think the Vertigo tour is suffering from a sense of pre-staged spontaneity and that bugs the shit out of me. I think ATYCLB suffers on so many levels (bad track order, some weak production in some spots, etc.) I can’t STAND the little droolyfaces everyone puts on something that they love (I think this website would crash if people weren’t allowed to use droolyface) But that’s life.

I don’t go around spouting those things cos I’m not looking for a senseless argument. I know what I know and I know what I feel and that’s that.

Go ahead and say what you want about U2 – good or bad. Chances are, someone’s gonna say you’re wrong.

Freethinking. It’s a beautiful thing.

KUEFC09U2 said:
again why are people assuming there opinion is set in stone?, what IF people actually think the last 2 albums are amazingly great?, what IF people think the so called "experimentation" of the 90's wasnt too great? i mean yes it was experimenting for U2, but all they did was copy the electronica sound of the 90's, god forbid but what if people do actually find the U2 of now much better than the U2 of then?

:shh: Blind followers and not "real fans", obviously.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
This thread is rated one star? So I guess the database can't hold negative values?

Nah, it was rated one star for one poster's absolutely ridiculous claim that U2 can do no wrong.

xaviMF22 said:
Radiohead is just as good, if not better

You're kidding, right?!

I bought one album when there was so much hype about it - "OK Computer" and I found it atrocious and simply unlistenable.

:lol:

GibsonGirl said:
I rate this thread one star! :happy:

Really, what the hell? It is perfectly okay for U2 to be your favourite band and it's perfectly okay for you to be able to criticise them at the same time. The sun does not shine out of U2's collective arse. They are not the human form of perfection and they are very capable of writing poor music (every U2 album ever released has ALWAYS had three or four songs that are of lesser quality than the others. Whether or not you hate them is subjective, but you have to admit that some songs are considerably better than others.) To suggest that it is simply impossible for U2 to write poor music is a clear sign of delusion...or LSD, either one.

Constructive criticism is healthy for a band. Do you think that if people hadn't shat all over Rattle & Hum, we would have seen the likes of Achtung Baby? Probably not. We might have seen something similar, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

You people act like that if you criticise them then they will wake up and make you the most perfect U2 album of all time - every time - and this philoshophy is just absurd.

Have your favorites AANNDD STOP NIT-PICKING!

I bought one album when there was so much hype about it - "OK Computer" and I found it atrocious and simply unlistenable.

Ah, Radiohead. Such a different musical experience for a lot of people. The problem is that people hear great things about radiohead and then they listen to them once or twice and go "What the freak is this crap!?". Radiohead is a different type of experience. You have to listen to it for days, weeks, ever years before you can fully understand the brilliance. But when it finally hits you it is like nothing you have ever experienced before. Some people will not take that time that is required and so the brilliance will never be known to them.

What I'm saying is, don't give up after a few listens. Give it time to sink in. It took me a couple of years to understand what all the fuss was about.

darbyZ said:
This thread can go like this endlessly... I'm very pleased how Indra developed and explained my initial idea that fan shouldn't be a fanatic.What I cannot stand about fanatics is their idolatry bereft of any degree of emotional detachment.Have they ever heard of fair criticism? I think that any band won't ever need that kind of public.Love is not just giving in ...and worshipped without constant reexamining the work of your "beloved" is idolatry and I'm simply not prone to this kind of love...U2 STAY MY FAVOURITE BAND,even there are some lyrics of Nick Cave,Patti Smith,REM...I prefer to some U2 LYRICS...........Excuse me,even I can listen to ONE night and day ,it doesn't mean I don't have the right to experiment with different genres from RNR and punk to French chanson,blues and jazz....What I cannot stand are fans reminding me of some totalitarian party......Have they ever heard of aesthetics?Diversity is beautiful! PS Hope not being lynched for this PPS Maybe,this is more for FREE YOUR MIND threads

When you listen to certain U2 songs, what do you feel?

Especially live.

And there are a lot of songs that do that to you, right?

What other bands can really reach in to your soul and pull on your heart strings as much as U2?

I would say not many, and definitely not as much.

And they seem so down to earth.

And they do a lot for suffering in Africa.

It's bizarre, they feel like my friends even though I don't know them and they don't know me.

They simply are amongst the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.

And I choose them as THE greatest.

But I still stand by how I feel - those people that think they are hands-down the greatest of all time - and generally love what they do - ARE NOT so hard on them and so critical.

So have you favorite songs if you want.

And have your favorite band also.

But if it's not U2, then DO NOT come here and bash them because I don't want to read it.

indra said:
I was going to name some bands, but then I looked back at a bunch of your posts and decided it would be a complete waste of my time. You are clearly not interested in anyone else's ideas or viewpoint, and you denigrate people who have different taste than you. So I won't bother.

But I will say there are plenty of excellent bands out there -- some newer, some have been around for decades. It's too bad you are so blinded by fanaticism that you cannot see (or more accurately, hear).

Well, then I'll just go on believing that you won't name a band as good as U2 because you can't.

And that proves my point.

twochordcool said:

But if it's not U2, then DO NOT come here and bash them because I don't want to read it.

:lmao:

You make me laugh. Really. A big hearty laugh. Do you really think ANYONE gives a flying fuck what you want to read? :laugh:

You are amusing, I will give ya that. :)

twochordcool said:

When you listen to certain U2 songs, what do you feel?

Especially live.

And there are a lot of songs that do that to you, right?

What other bands can really reach in to your soul and pull on your heart strings as much as U2?

I would say not many, and definitely not as much.

And they seem so down to earth.

And they do a lot for suffering in Africa.

It's bizarre, they feel like my friends even though I don't know them and they don't know me.

They simply are amongst the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.

And I choose them as THE greatest.

But I still stand by how I feel - those people that think they are hands-down the greatest of all time - and generally love what they do - ARE NOT so hard on them and so critical.

So have you favorite songs if you want.

And have your favorite band also.

I think we are free to criticize U2 as much as we want, as long its constructive. The problem is that some people here just want to bash U2.

twochordcool said:

Well, then I'll just go on believing that you won't name a band as good as U2 because you can't.

And that proves my point.

Only proves your point to you. No one else.

KUEFC09U2 said:

Agreed.

And what if people love ALL of their music and just accepted the fact that all of them are quite different?

And why can't people acknowledge how hard it must be to continually write GREAT music, album after album, and year after year?!

Most artists write their best material in the middle of their careers and then run out of ideas and creativity towards the end -

So I think we should be ESPECIALLY happy and content that U2 continue to put out music that is thoughtful, meaningful and relevant.

And I'm sure that most people here would agree that even your least favorite U2 songs are A LOT BETTER than some other artists best attempts.

And if you don't agree with that, try limitting yourself to listening to American radio for a month.

Rafiennes said:
If you don’t criticize your favorite band or movie star or author, that’s when you’re not being a true fan – you’re being a blind follower who will worship at the alter of whatever the hell you’re given. That’s scary

The thing is that I can differentiate being critical of them AND having your favorite songs and albums.

NONE of their music is so bad that people should come here and whine, complain and nit-pick.

Take The Cure, for example - to those people that ever loved some of their material -

THAT'S a band you can now criticise.

To put out an album as great as "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" and then fall to the depths of their latest material...

THAT'S something you can criticise!

But, U2's latest material is still TOO GOOD to whine and criticise and long for the days of "War".

U2girl said:
:shh: Blind followers and not "real fans", obviously.

See, that's where you're wrong and don't know what you are talking about.

Part of my point IS that I DO THINK U2's latest material still sets the bar very high - it's STILL VERY GOOD music.

And IF IT WERE crap I'd be glad to agree with the criticisers around here -

but that's where I disagree.

Hoodlem said:

Ah, Radiohead. Such a different musical experience for a lot of people. The problem is that people hear great things about radiohead and then they listen to them once or twice and go "What the freak is this crap!?". Radiohead is a different type of experience. You have to listen to it for days, weeks, ever years before you can fully understand the brilliance. But when it finally hits you it is like nothing you have ever experienced before. Some people will not take that time that is required and so the brilliance will never be known to them.

What I'm saying is, don't give up after a few listens. Give it time to sink in. It took me a couple of years to understand what all the fuss was about.

You're talking to a guy that LOVES some house music, so if anybody knows about patience and giving it a chance it's me.

I've listened to music that requires patience - repetitive listening and the need for crossing that "threshhold" - before it can be truly appreciated.

But I can only have so much patience.

Music has to have a certain degree of "obviousness" to it.

It's why I couldn't even begin to get into Aphex Twin - abstract experimental electronic music, for those of you that may not know - he is also supposed to be brilliant - but what I hear is just a bunch of nonsense.

Last edited:
twochordcool said:

You're kidding, right?!

:lol:

There really is no hope for you. :) :|

indra said:

You make me laugh. Really. A big hearty laugh. Do you really think ANYONE gives a flying fuck what you want to read? :laugh:

You are amusing, I will give ya that. :)

Is that a picture of you in your avatar? If so, perhaps you are just a bitter musician that will criticise a band like U2 because you will never reach those heights?

Just a thought.

twochordcool said:

You people act like that if you criticise them then they will wake up and make you the most perfect U2 album of all time - every time - and this philoshophy is just absurd.

Have your favorites AANNDD STOP NIT-PICKING!

No, you're absurd. Do you mean to tell me that there is not one U2 song you have difficulty listening to? Not even one? I find that extremely hard to believe. U2 are guilty of putting out their fair share of filler over the years, whether you want to admit to it or not.

And that's my final contribution to this thread. Indra's right - it's pointless trying to discuss things with people as blind as you are.

THIS is my OFFICIAL "SHOUT OUT" to those people here that know what I am trying to say - I'm sure there are many of you out there!

It's time to grow a backbone and come out!

Politics can be so funny - very few people are willing to come out on the side of the minority - even if they totally agree -

they'd rather stand on the sidlines of a bludgeoning than come to the rescue and risk being bludgeoned themselves!

GibsonGirl said:
No, you're absurd. Do you mean to tell me that there is not one U2 song you have difficulty listening to? Not even one? I find that extremely hard to believe. U2 are guilty of putting out their fair share of filler over the years, whether you want to admit to it or not

You know what I think most of you people's problems are?

You have gotten so used to hearing EXCEPTIONAL U2 songs that you fail to appreciate good U2 songs.

Sure, I have my favorites - but I find NO U2 songs "unlistenable".

My favorite U2 song is "Drowning Man" but it's a U2 song that seems to get overlooked in most discussions.

This thread has run its coarse. It's the same arguments over and over and there is nothing productive coming out of it.

Some of you close minded individuals need to learn that your 'opinions' are just that and not fact so stop shoving them down other people's throats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom