U2 ranked #4 in Spin Magazine List...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevatedmole

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by SkeeK:
8. Moby

I'm glad Moby got into the top 10 -- Moby is very good. However, I'm still stumped on how Jay-Z made it to #1.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Where's R.E.M.???
Where's Depeche Mode???
Where's New Order???

Whoa!! I thought I was in a late 80's/early 90's time warp there for a second!
wink.gif

I like all the bands you mention but they are definately not the most influential at the moment in the U.S. (Spin is a U.S. publication after all). As pointed out before, the list means nothing. It is just a list.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-06-2002).]

Yay for Weezer and U2!

------------------
when a good time turns around
you must whip it
you will never live it down
unless you whip it
no one gets their way
until they whip it
i say whip it
whip it good

what a load of bull

artistically nor commercially do I agree

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Where's R.E.M.???
Where's Depeche Mode???
Where's New Order???

Whoa!! I thought I was in a late 80's/early 90's time warp there for a second!
wink.gif

I like all the bands you mention but they are definately not the most influential at the moment in the U.S. (Spin is a U.S. publication after all). As pointed out before, the list means nothing. It is just a list.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-06-2002).]

I'm deeply sorry if that's the case (Sum 41 being more influential than, let's say, New Order who released one of last year's finest albums).

But then again, even if the list would be perfect, I could never forget SPIN for the mistake they made in giving "Achtung Baby" a poor review when it came out, and then 9 years later mentioning it as one of the best albums of the 90's...

Originally posted by holyjoe5:
I'm deeply sorry if that's the case (Sum 41 being more influential than, let's say, New Order who released one of last year's finest albums).

more influential. over the broad spectrum of music sum 41 have been much more in the forefront over the past year. granted the new order album is incredible and the sum 41 disc more or less sucks, especially considering they are far outside of their roots. but does new order reach as many general fans, influence people as much?
not a chance in hell, which is quite unfortunate.

But then again, even if the list would be perfect, I could never forget SPIN for the mistake they made in giving "Achtung Baby" a poor review when it came out, and then 9 years later mentioning it as one of the best albums of the 90's...

mags employ reporters and, though i'm not certain in the case of spin, allow them to write with reasonable freedom. if the person who reviewed 10 years ago didn't like AB-so be it but i'm willing to bet someone else wrote the 'best of albums for the '90's'. there is some accountability on the part of the mag, of course, but in the end it's the reporter whose opinion is going to come across.

Originally posted by *Ally*:
although these lists don't really mean anything, it's nice to see U2 at number 4 on Spin's list of the 40 most vital artists in music today. ahead of them are Jay-Z (#1), Eminem (#2), and Radiohead (#3).

I can kind of understand Eminem (well.. FORCING myself to at this point) and I definitely understand Radiohead (they are good, but not exactly my type of thing) -- but Jay-Z? Can anyone please tell me why?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by lady lemonade:
Sorry but who's Jay-Z?

He's a rapper. I don't find him very good at all, but I'm sure I'll be flamed for saying any more than that.
wink.gif

------------------

I dunno about JayZ.. I'm not his bigest fan, at all. There are some really good bands there though:
2. Radiohead
4. U2
5. System of a Down
6. OutKast
7. Linkin Park
8. Moby
9. Weezer
etc.

Mostly a nice list. Creed being on it at all is kind of annoying, but at least they only made it to #19

All I can say, is that the list is a JOKE!!!

Something's gotta be very wrong when bands like Linkin Park, Sum 41 and Creed are considered to be in the Top-20 of the most relevant artists.
Where's R.E.M.???
Where's Depeche Mode???
Where's New Order???
Where's Sigur R?s???

I bet all of those are better than Linkin Park, Sum 41 and Creed COMBINED...

Not enough with that, they actually have the guts to name Creed "The Biggest Band in the World" (which is totally laughable, since they hardly exist atleast in Europe)!

It's just a list of bands that have had recent albums out and are currently a force on the music scene (mainstream). I'm sure if REM and Depech Mode had top ten albums out and were all over the place they'd be on the list.

The list is dumb though.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

This leads me to ask if we're talking about *influential* to the consumers, or to popular-music in general?
Granted, Sum 41 sold more albums, and are therefore more influential to the average guy out there, but if we're talking about music, then I bet New Order's latest will be the more remembered 10 years from now...

ayy there's the rub
wink.gif

i assumed 'momentary' effects, it only makes more sense to me given the other names and the publication.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
more influential. over the broad spectrum of music sum 41 have been much more in the forefront over the past year. granted the new order album is incredible and the sum 41 disc more or less sucks, especially considering they are far outside of their roots. but does new order reach as many general fans, influence people as much?
not a chance in hell, which is quite unfortunate.

This leads me to ask if we're talking about *influential* to the consumers, or to popular-music in general?
Granted, Sum 41 sold more albums, and are therefore more influential to the average guy out there, but if we're talking about music, then I bet New Order's latest will be the more remembered 10 years from now...

Back
Top Bottom