U2 random trivia part 532 - the (alleged) unreleased video for Red Hill Mining Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
According to the Unforgettable Fire book, the band planned to release Red Hill as a video/single, commissioned Neil Jordan (of Crying Game fame) to do a video, but weren't happy with the result so didn't release it.

Can anyone confirm if this is true and if so, any more info on this?

this is true. there are some screens of it floating around the net, but no one outside the band has seen the full video. from the screens, it looked really bad. worse than (dare i say) New Year's Day :|

Well, I don't think three or four screenshots can give you a good impression on the quality of the video...
:shrug:

:)

There's very few stills, so it's hard to tell if it was bad or not, but Bono's quoted as saying something to the effect of the world isn't ready to see U2 with pick axes in their hands.

Popmartijn said:
Well, I don't think three or four screenshots can give you a good impression on the quality of the video...
:shrug:

they were dressed up as miners. how lame is that.

but i bet Larry was the best miner out of them.

Re: U2 random trivia part 532 - the (alleged) unreleased video for Red Hill Mining Town

financeguy said:
According to the Unforgettable Fire book, the band planned to release Red Hill as a video/single, commissioned Neil Jordan (of Crying Game fame) to do a video, but weren't happy with the result so didn't release it.

Can anyone confirm if this is true and if so, any more info on this?

True. The rumor is that MTV actually aired it one time (but only one time). It was to be the fourth single, but after the ball was rolling on its production, Bono stated it was too hard on his voice to sing live night in, night out; so the whole thing was pulled.

I've definitely seen a few scenes from it, but I don't remember where. I'm thinking I saw it on the purple Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree DVD, but I'm not sure. It definitely did look funny---they certainly were dressed as miners!

Re: Re: U2 random trivia part 532 - the (alleged) unreleased video for Red Hill Minin

Snowlock said:

True. The rumor is that MTV actually aired it one time (but only one time). It was to be the fourth single, but after the ball was rolling on its production, Bono stated it was too hard on his voice to sing live night in, night out; so the whole thing was pulled.

Actually, it wasn't meant to be the fourth single, but the second instead of ISHFWILF.

timothius said:
I really doubt the validity of the Red Hill Mining Town video being aired on MTV claim.

As do I. There's even a claim it aired once on NZ TV! It seems different versions of the story give a different network.

Well, I'm fairly confident that IF the tape was in the vault of Whatever Network, it would've leaked, and if it had been broadcast, we'd certainly have a complete copy.

Exactly. Usually the singles would at least be in manufacturing stage if the video was being handed over to MTV and TVNZ for the matter! :lol: Thats hillarious... we had to make our own videos for the JT. :rockon:

I'm really surprised the video is meant to be so shite - this is Neil Jordan after all. He's a very good director - Mona Lisa, Crying Game and every film Stephen Rea has ever appeared in!

Last edited:
wait,I think I found some stills

ben_stiller_zoolander_004.jpg

untitled.jpg

:giggle:

Back
Top Bottom