U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be an equal amount of rumors pointing this fall vs. next spring. I'm firmly in the spring 2014 camp, as much as I hate to be. To not have the album done after all this time is absolutely appalling. A "relevant" band does not go 5 years between album releases. I suppose Nov 2013 vs Mar 2014 is only a 4 month difference, but it speaks volumes about their lack of faith in themselves, and their inability or unwillingness to make decisions.

I realize they don't really care about releasing albums, since the real money is in touring anyway. Then quit pretending to give a shit and just call yourselves the next Rolling Stones and be done with it. I'll still buy the tickets, as will millions of others. I'm sure eventually we'll get some statement like "2014 is going to be our year" and "we're going to release ANOTHER record in the middle of the tour, and that's what took so long". It's all a bunch of shit. U2/Universal are afraid of Lady Gaga and other releases kicking U2's ass this fall in sales, and that's why the album won't be released.

I wonder if Danger Mouse is sick of it yet? He seems like a straight shooter and a great creative mind who gets results. I can't imagine he's enjoying it too much.

Seems to be an equal amount of rumors pointing this fall vs. next spring. I'm firmly in the spring 2014 camp, as much as I hate to be. To not have the album done after all this time is absolutely appalling. A "relevant" band does not go 5 years between album releases. I suppose Nov 2013 vs Mar 2014 is only a 4 month difference, but it speaks volumes about their lack of faith in themselves, and their inability or unwillingness to make decisions.

I realize they don't really care about releasing albums, since the real money is in touring anyway. Then quit pretending to give a shit and just call yourselves the next Rolling Stones and be done with it. I'll still buy the tickets, as will millions of others. I'm sure eventually we'll get some statement like "2014 is going to be our year" and "we're going to release ANOTHER record in the middle of the tour, and that's what took so long". It's all a bunch of shit. U2/Universal are afraid of Lady Gaga and other releases kicking U2's ass this fall in sales, and that's why the album won't be released.

I wonder if Danger Mouse is sick of it yet? He seems like a straight shooter and a great creative mind who gets results. I can't imagine he's enjoying it too much.

Instead of putting words in Brian Burton's mouth how about we wait and see?

Listen to some new music instead of crucifying yourself again and again:

Arcade Fire - Crucified Again (unreleased song) - YouTube

Agreed on all points except I'm not all that upset because the new album would have had a hard time cracking my top 10 of this year anyway. It's been a fantastic year for music.

Of course all of the FM stations are just part of one larger company which controls everything, therefore the music suffers as a result.

Such is the beauty of the city in which I live, we actually have a couple that are not controlled by the conglomerate.

There are also a few stations I listen to in the car thru my iPhone that are actually on the air live on FM (in their respective countries) that are also independents.

& I bet I have scars older than you :beer:

Don't count on it you wouldn't be the first to have been fooled but then again if you wanna be older you can have it! :wink: :beer:

Agreed on all points except I'm not all that upset because the new album would have had a hard time cracking my top 10 of this year anyway. It's been a fantastic year for music.

:up: For real! Just got the new Travis album today, and the 1st listen was successful! Some good releases coming this fall also!

And yes, anybody who successfully completes an album with U2 deserves a medal. Chris Thomas and Rick Rubin, veteran producers who've worked on many great records, were not strong enough for the torturous experience. I just imagine workings for 3+ years with U2 on an album has to be a different, more agonizing experience than working with The Black Keys on 2 albums in the same time period, for example.

Hoping this 3/14 thing is a serious decoy, but unfortunately my gut tells me otherwise.

Is this a confirmed romour? No... Then why are people acting like its written in stone. It's not yet the end of August or even the first week of September! Chill out peeps there is still a big possibility that the album is coming out this year! And yes this whole delay talk is silly for reasons that have been discussed here already! I'll believe the 3/14 thing when U2 themselves say so.

Is this a confirmed romour? No... Then why are people acting like its written in stone. It's not yet the end of August or even the first week of September! Chill out peeps there is still a big possibility that the album is coming out this year! And yes this whole delay talk is silly for reasons that have been discussed here already! I'll believe the 3/14 thing when U2 themselves say so.

I would say a source from universal, wherever the division, is a more solid rumor than our guessing well get an album this year with absolutely nothing pointing to that fact as of right now besides throw away band comments. Not saying it's set in stone, im hoping it's not obviously.

We've had supposed Universal sources before. Those rumors aren't believable enough one way or the other. Personally I don't think my world would fall apart if U2 released an album in spring 2014. There's so many good music to look forward to this fall. I just want some sort of official statement, since the silence from the band and the tireless rumor mill and speculation is getting annoying. It's hard to imagine having to put up with it for another 3, 4 months. :sigh:

Hell, I'd gladly take March over the potential of the album being pushed back to Black Friday 2014. 2013 has been great enough as it is.

Let me rephrase. Obviously some people still listen to the radio.

Some people still read print newspapers religiously. Some people still only watch basic cable.

The future is not any of these things. They're barely holding on to the present as it is. So if a band's goal is for airplay on traditional radio, they're already D.O.A.

nonsense

i'm from the UK and live in France, and i get homesick sometimes - but when i lived in Paris 20 years ago, there was no way on this earth that i could connect easily with Brit culture, watch British tv and stream British radio whenever i felt like it... i now live in the arse end of nowhere in rural France and i can stream any Brit internet radio station i like and get a little dose of British popular culture - don't tell me that's not progress lol

Agreed but I think that if they play it right and the album is as big and epic as Daniel Lanois and others have suggested then moving to March shouldn't be a problem. The problem with No Line on the Horizon was that there wasn't a single like Beautiful Day or Vertigo where you hear it then sit back and say, 'only U2 could have done that'. There was too much on that album that, to the uneducated listener, that didn't sound like U2 or other artists hadn't done before. The key there is the first single. If they get that right, it doesn't matter to the hardcore music audience. The casual buyers and people who albums has holiday gifts is, obviously, another story. I would still wait until we hear something from the band or Universal though.

Why do fans on message boards feels that U2 owe them an explanation on the time frame of the release of an album?It's pretty obvious that U2 think that some songs needs to be more polish.When they'll be happy of what they got,they'll set a date,period.

And like a few have said,there is no delay,since there's haven't been a release date announce,only a vague time frame earlier this year,of maybe fall 2013.

No it isn't.

Who listens to terrestrial radio these days for anything other than political talk radio, and old people? It's a dying industry.

America =/= World.

Here FM radio is still a common thing. On the workplace, at home, in the car. Sure, a lot of us listen to mp3 players as well, but that's more when you cycle or go to work and such. But the majority of the people I know still listen to the radio a lot.

oh and printed newspapers still are far more popular than digital ones. It's not dying as fast as you think.

America =/= World.

Here FM radio is still a common thing. On the workplace, at home, in the car. Sure, a lot of us listen to mp3 players as well, but that's more when you cycle or go to work and such. But the majority of the people I know still listen to the radio a lot.

Same here. Radio is still an important part of our culture. Me and most people I know listen to radio a lot, mainly for service, news and information, also for music. We have a great indie/alternative radio station here that plays good music and I also listen to it via internet whenever I find the time. Also, there's a lot of radio programmes played in public places like the hairdresser or the supermarket. You simply cannot escape it.

Yup, in most shops you have some sort of radio. Our supermarket has sattelite radio with their own commercials and such, but a lot of smaller shops and stores have regular FM radio.

We've had supposed Universal sources before. Those rumors aren't believable enough one way or the other. Personally I don't think my world would fall apart if U2 released an album in spring 2014. There's so many good music to look forward to this fall. I just want some sort of official statement, since the silence from the band and the tireless rumor mill and speculation is getting annoying. It's hard to imagine having to put up with it for another 3, 4 months. :sigh:

Universal themselves never said anything about this. It's just some person we don't know saying that a source from universal told them. I don't believe it! I could come in here telling people I have an inside source from universal who said blah blah blah. Does it make it likely then that the album will be out in 2014? Until U2 themselves say something I don't believe it. And if U2 don't release anything this year it will suck a little bit but no biggie and U2 don't owe it to us to get the album out this year anyway.

By and large radio is a dead medium, so to say to themselves (circa late '80's) that we need a huge radio freindly hit to sell tons of records and keep us "relevent :)yuck:)" is crazy. Nowadays, it prolly would be better to tie a song to a movie or Toyota (or fill in the blank) commercial.

U2 are still on holidays in France..... to me, the album is finished and ready and we will hear something after they come back from their holidays.

:up: This

I still say a September Single release and late November album release. Whether they are going to do the "long stint in one city thing" or even if they do just a regular tour of arena's I would think they must be booked because of NHL and NBA schedules. Until I hear something official about next year I am going to remain optimistic about this year.

The problem is people taking Bono's, or someone else's, suggestion that an album may be out in 6 months or 'this year' or whatever as a promise an album will come at that time. I think part of it with U2, as with any band I suppose, is that they set themselves these targets in order to encourage progress on an album project. We shouldn't take it as read that an album will come out in 6 months or whatever if Bono or Larry or whoever suggests that it might do. The problem with this time of year also is the simple fact that it comes at the turn of the year makes a delay seem all that bigger, especially given the holiday period. For example, if an album was to come out in November 2013 and got delayed until March 2014, it would seem a much bigger delay than if an album was to come out in June 2013 and got delayed until October 2013.

Settle down people.

Who am I kidding? :doh: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom