U2 Predictions for 2002 and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karl

The Fly
U2 had an incredible year in 2001, beyond most people's expectations. However, 2001 is over. What does everyone think about U2's prospects for 2002, or for that matter the indefinite future?

My guess is that ( I really have no idea, but I digress?) U2 will continue to experience commercial success, but probably not at the level of ATYCLB. U2 is seriously bucking some trends now vis-?-vis the usual drop off in popularity with age, so I see that happening with U2 also. However, more importantly, I think that U2 will also go on to make some of their best music of their career for a while longer. They still have a lot left in them.

PS: The next album will be less pop oriented than ATYCLB and will be more experimental, but still band centric. Also, U2 will work with a producer that they never had before and will surprise many long time fans.

Karl

I'd like to see the Best of the 90's album this year.

I think the new stuff will not be as rocking as Bono said, but more rocking than ATYCLB.

I think we will get a live album.

I will meet the band

I will join the band as their 5th member.

Mandy Moore will turn 18.

I will have much fun with Mandy Moore.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

No offence, but why does everyone get so excited about this will-they-won't-they Best of the 90's album? Surely for longtime fans (or even not-so longtime fans) nothing on it would be news anyway. At least with the 80's album you had the B-sides from that era, which admittedly were a bit obscure by '98 or so.

I'm far more interested in their new material, and the sooner the better. Go into the studio for 5 years and just get it all down.

------------------
"...and then Dinnsdale really got angry, and he nailed my head to the floor."

"He nailed your head to the floor?"

"At first, yeah."

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
No offence, but why does everyone get so excited about this will-they-won't-they Best of the 90's album? Surely for longtime fans (or even not-so longtime fans) nothing on it would be news anyway. At least with the 80's album you had the B-sides from that era, which admittedly were a bit obscure by '98 or so.

Well, being a longtime fan myself, I think it will be cool to have their 90's hits on one cd. Plus, HMTMKMKM will be included(I'm assuming). Also, having all their B-sides from the 90's on one cd will be awesome. Is that a good enough reason?

------------------

Originally posted by mikal:
Well, being a longtime fan myself, I think it will be cool to have their 90's hits on one cd. Plus, HMTMKMKM will be included(I'm assuming). Also, having all their B-sides from the 90's on one cd will be awesome. Is that a good enough reason?

You mean all those house remixes that infest their 90's singles are a plus for you? The problem with Best of CD's is that there is always the one or two favorite missing. Better to make your own. I'm waiting for the definitive U2 live album. The one that has a complete show, don't matter which one, as long as it's complete and unedited. Other bands bury their fans in live material, some of which have become musical landmarks (Deep Purple Made in Japan for instance), U2 whose live performances are epic only gives us a few EP's and B-sides.

Bono and Ali will have yet another child......Bono will receive the Nobel Prize for Peace-because he worked with Jesse Helms and Pat Robertson without punching either.

Adam will lecture at Juliard, Berkeley, and other music schools.

Larry will continue to be "carded" when he enters the Octagon / Kitchen.

Edge will join the Cosmonauts for a jam in the International Space Station. He'll also beat-the-crap outta Dean Kamen for that "scooter" idea that DK stole from him.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Muad'zin:
You mean all those house remixes that infest their 90's singles are a plus for you? The problem with Best of CD's is that there is always the one or two favorite missing. Better to make your own. I'm waiting for the definitive U2 live album. The one that has a complete show, don't matter which one, as long as it's complete and unedited. Other bands bury their fans in live material, some of which have become musical landmarks (Deep Purple Made in Japan for instance), U2 whose live performances are epic only gives us a few EP's and B-sides.

A live album - now that IS lacking. And frankly a DVD does not count. Not all of us have DVD players, or any interesting in getting such. It's bloody incredible that the last 'proper' live album from U2 is this tinny little concert mish-mash from 1983! Various bootlegs are of course superb.

Sure, as for tracking down all the singles/b-sides on one CD, it's horses for courses really. I can understand why that will be a handy thing to have. I just cannot understand why it generates so much excitement (or has done in the past) on this board. And I'm not singling Mikal out at all with that comment.

------------------
"Dinnsdale was a perfectly charming, erudite young man - and what's more, he knew how to treat a female impersonator."

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
She's not even 18 yet?
* Clears hardrive

haha!! can u email me the pics first
wink.gif

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

maybe 2002 will finally see the long awaited U2 christmas album

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Hmmm...a live album would be great, but since we only got UABRS in all these years, i doubt they'll make it.

But if they do, i'd like to see several live albums (one CD for JT tour, one for Zoo TV, one for Popmart and one for Elevation tour).

Now for the more likable future: a new album, maybe as early as this year? More touring is already being rumored.

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like it's the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

get your head out of the mud baby

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-03-2002).]

Originally posted by bonofnattic:
Bono and Ali will have yet another child......
Of Course they will!! They wouldn't be Bono and Ali if they didn't
Larry will continue to be "carded" when he enters the Octagon / Kitchen.
*LOL* He is only 14 you know!!!

Yeah, I hear that the rest of the guys really have to stay-after Larry to do his Junior-High Correspondence Course homework while they're touring. I'm betting he'll be 21 by the time they do their last tour.
wink.gif

Here's what 2002 and beyond hold for U2:

Currently U2 are following the steps they took during the entire ZooTV era because it worked so well for them. With that, I think we'll see a new album this spring/summer and a follow up tour. How extensive the tour is will depend on how the album is received. At this point, I'd bet it will do well since they're still riding the wave of success from ATYCLB.

After that tour winds up (2003 at the LATEST, and that's only if they are still selling out shows and selling records) we're due for another of U2's infamous long breaks. 3-4 years is probably a safe guess. During this extended break look for the best of 1990-2000 (or will it be 1990-1999?) album with a new single ala Sweetest Thing to keep fans satisfied.

After the break (2006 or 2007) we'll probably get one more album from the band. It will probably be another solid album with praise from most critics, but with the boys approaching age 50 I doubt even a bunch of great tunes will reach the younger audience. Still, at that point there will continue to be a huge following of us die-hards, and they will probably do a final tour to wrap up the decade. My guess is that it would be a smaller tour, without as much attention from the media.

After that, I'd say U2 will officially call it quits. They'll punch out a best of 2000-2010 album, and from that point on they'll go their separate ways. They'll probably re unite for special events. I'm sure Bono and maybe even Edge will do some solo work to keep themselves busy. From there on, we're bound to see U2's material take the shape of the Beatles. There will be greatest hit after greatest hit compilations into the unknown future, and probably a live album or two as well. Rare tracks will be compiled and released as a special album, and fans such as ourselves will be kept happy for years.

Zoocoustic,

That was an awesome post.

------------------

oooh....So hard to try to predict the "unpredicable". But here goes my thoughts on U2 and the future.

I don't think they'll loose any popularity. They've gained fans of a much younger crowd than I. I'm still a huge fan and have been
since early 80's. So I see them gaining more
popularity. The last tour had fans from 15 to 50!....Shows the die-hards aren's going away, and new ones are jumping on board.

I think they'll put out a new ablum....but it will be the one after that with which they will again do the "big tour" with...about 4-5 years down the road (unfortunately)

I think the next album they take on tour will achieve everything, if not more, than Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and ATYCLB......after all
who thought they could top ZOO TV, right?

This band knows their stuff, knows when to introduce it to the fans and most of all, know HOW TO INTRODUCE IT!

All in all, I think their going to be just fine......and I look forward to the next ride!

Originally posted by mikal:
Zoocoustic,

That was an awesome post.

I thought it was quite a depressing post. Do we just look forward to a slow decline into irrelevance, then? Will U2 become the next Pink Floyd (who have yet another best-of compilation out right now, believe it or not).

------------------
"The animals, baby"

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
I thought it was quite a depressing post. Do we just look forward to a slow decline into irrelevance, then? Will U2 become the next Pink Floyd (who have yet another best-of compilation out right now, believe it or not).

Maybe it seems depressing, but it's at least realistic. I'm just happy that U2 is still MAKING music.

------------------

Originally posted by U2girl:

But if they do, i'd like to see several live albums (one CD for JT tour, one for Zoo TV, one for Popmart and one for Elevation tour).

I'm not bothered about live albums as I've already got so many boots and mp3's downloaded from live shows. What I'm really hoping for is an unreleased tracks box set - sure there are a few which haven't found their way onto the net yet....

As for this year I'm guessing we'll have a Europe outdoor tour this summer, then they'll head off to Australia, maybe even Japan... totally copying Zooropa/ZooTV (but without MacPhisto!
frown.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom