U2 postponed new album due to new 2006 tour dates! VH-1.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Numb1075 said:
We all should know U2s routine for making albums by now:rant:

Whatever date Bono gives for a new album release, add minimum of 1.5 to 2 years.

If they decide to begin work at the end of 2006, the earliest (and I mean EARLIEST) that this album will hit the shelves would be the end of 2008. And I think that is a stretch.

HTDAAB cam out November 04
the 2nd half of their career has been bascially a 4 year turn around between albums...so November of 2008 seems likely to me.

Prove me wrong guys, PLEASE prove me wrong.

While there is truth in what you wrote, U2 have always released something between these long gaps.
  • The 3 years between UF and JT saw the release of WAIA and numerous charity tours and singles (Conspiracy of Hope tour and "Silver and Gold"). U2 also made some guest appearances (Robbie Robertson).
  • The 4 years and 8 months between JT and AB saw the release of R&H (CD and movie) and "Night and Day". U2 also wrote songs for other artists (Roy Orbison) and U2 toured extensively through 1990 in support of JT and R&H.
  • There was only 1 year 8 month gap between AB and "Zooropa".
  • The three years and 8 months between "Zooropa" and "Pop", U2 were actually amazingly prolific. High profile songs like "Hold Me...Kill Me" and "Mission: Impossible" were released. Lower profile items like "Original Soundtracks 1" were released (and while this may not technically be a U2 album, as each U2 member worked on every single song on this album, this was a major release for the band - even if under a pseudonym). U2 members also made many guest appearances during this time and performed on many tribute albums (Leonard Cohen, Marvin Gaye, etc.).
  • The three years and 7 months between "Pop" and ATYCLB were filled with more guest appearances and the release of the 80's "Best Of". U2 were also heavily involved in the "Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack, a movie that Bono also cowrote.
  • The four years between ATYCLB and HTDAAB were filled with the 90's "Best Of", which produced a Golden Globe winning and Oscar nominated song.

Even though there may have been long gaps between complete studio releases at times, U2 were often very busy between studio releases, as I tried to demonstrate above. If that's not enough for you, let me add more. For example, U2 or U2 membes would, at times, record a new version of a song for a movie (like "Until the End of the World" or "Stay"). U2 or U2 members made guest appearances ("Pavoratti and Friends"), performed on tribute albums (like the afore-mentioned Marvin Gaye and Leonard Cohen tributes) or appeared as guest artists on albums (Michael Hutchence, Mick Jagger). They wrote songs for other artists (Roy Orbison, Tina Turner). Plus, keep in mind that U2 have toured for all of their albums (R&H and "Zooropa" also had tours, even if they were added on to an existing tour). Bono or U2 frequently did charity releases, like "What's Going On" or "New Day". U2 have even released some items through their fan club, and concert video tapes or DVD's, which did take some of their time. More recently, Bono has been heavily involved in the Jubilee 2000/DATA program, touring extensively for it. I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea.

So even if the next full studio release from U2 isn't until 2008, don't expect U2 to not release anything or stay out of the limelight. Already we have one DVD release from this tour and I expect more. Other artists are hoping to collaborate with U2 (and who wouldn't? Bono and U2 are ridiculously respected and highly influential - not only do they win tons of major awards, they still sell millions of albums, have #1 releases and sold-out tours), so I fully expect a few releases with other artists (and already we have the Mary J. Blige release of "One"). Bono has also stated how he enjoys just releasing a single without an album (ala "Celebration" or "Hold Me..."). While U2 haven't done this a lot in their time, we could see a new song for a movie in this format.

Therefore, besides bitching and griping and moaning and joking how U2 are "so slow" between album releases, we also enjoy lots of these "side projects". I'm already looking forward to a few before the new album. :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom