U2 popularity check.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So we're almost to the point where promotion of the album will kick in. I'm just wondering how is U2's popularity in your neck of the woods, and how much work do you think they need to do to make this album be successful, and the following tour?

I realize that they are a well established rock band, but come this fall it will have been 3 years out of the public eye. Some people might have forgotten, some might not care anymore. I know a friend of mine who grew up loving U2 with me just doesn't really seem to like them anymore. But it's just because of stupid reasons, like they're looking older, or the fact that Bono doesn't do characters onstage anymore.

So they have some new fans to make, some old fans to please, and some fans who have fallen off the U2 bandwagon... they need to get those people back on. They are older now, and they are definately starting to look their age. It's not a bad thing and they are all good looking guys (not gay), but old people are a hard sell in the music business. But what do they need to do, promotionally, to make the album a big success?

Personally I like the massive and aggressive promotion attack they did with ATYCLB, I thought that was great cause they were everywhere and I love that, I?m very proud to be a U2 fan so I love to know that there is a lot of people out there who are seeing, listening the new songs on the tv, radio or whatever. I hope they come out with this new album like that too and I think that?s what?s going to happen. As I have said before, some dumb people see U2 as a pop band and if this album is such a rocker than it will be a great opportunity to prove them wrong (yes, I care). It would be great to have Bono?s screams echoing all over the palace and Edge?s guitar riff out there for every dumbass that has the wrong idea about U2 to see.

:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

Personally I think that they may not need to work as hard as they did before. The last album was promoted like crazy and hyped to the max...in a good way. U2 are at the career where they know they have a strong following and do not need to worry about such things. Even if the album is a flop according to the billboard charts, it is the fans reaction that count. People will still go to the shows 'cause they like hearing the new, and some of their favorite new tracks and they like the energy that is U2.

I do however see them doing the talk show circut like Leno, possibly Ellen, etc.

Yes Isabelle I don't think they'll have to work hard at all. They have such a name for themselves now after the last album and tour that the name will speak for itself. Last time they had to promote themselves harder but not this time. I also hope they will not take on any gimmick to attract the MTV crowd that will only make them look silly at their age. Those kids are not going to like u2 anyway but kids who appreciate quality always will on their own. But it's hopeless to market 40 something men on the trendy, it won't work.

I think as long as they put out a good album they'll be fine. They might have lost a few of their fans during the Pop period (not my favorite album, sorry) and ATYCLB was a divisive album, but it also brought a lot more interest BACK to U2. What was really important was how ATYCLB made more sense AFTER 9/11 happened and it made their concerts much more emotionally connecting. Not to mention that Bono really fights for what he believes in when it comes to politics when he's NOT doing music and is world-wide respected. Few rock stars even try to do anything besides earn a buck.

All in all there needs to be a place for U2. Coldplay may have somewhat filled the gap for the last 4 years (I believe) for the newer generation, but we still would always like U2 to rightfully be as relevant as any new-comer. With this album I think they can continue being the "best band in the world".

Especially if the new album rocks.

Last edited:
I don't think U2's going to have to try all that hard, at least not in my neck of the woods. Everyone I know respects U2, most don't realise it's been so long since the last album and are interested in a new one. Like someone said earlier, I hope they don't try any gimmicks, they should just be themselves, go out there and promote the album for what it is, and people with good music taste will come to it.

I'm sure that there will be some political relevance to the new album, and that will help. I hope they do Saturday Night Live again. I loved seeing them there, and so did the audience.

Unfortunately not among my friends, but U2 definitely has a very strong following here, so they really don't need to Sell the album that hard. But an appearance downtown like the last time around wouldn't hurt :wink: , although I doubt they'll do it again. Anyway, I agree the whole MTV promotion thing is just silly and Justin junkies aren't gonna go for them anyway.

But I definitely want to see them on more talk shows, I can't stand Leno but I can always wish for a Conan or even a John Stewart appearance? Ok fine wishful thinking... :reject:

U2 are not huge here anymore. Perths a bit of a headbanger state and the last album bombed and isnt/wasnt played on the wireless at all. Except for Beautiful Day, for some reason. Probably something to do with the weather here.

Mind you, over the last few years many of the radio stations have been nationalised so now we get the music that Sydney/Melbourne people like. So who nows :shrug:

I think there's no guarantee at all that the next album will be successful. It's true, they may have a lot of goodwill still left from ATYCLB's success and won't have to work hard to reverse the negative view, but in this business even the fortunes of well-established artists are not safe and age will definitely work against them. I don't think that they take anything for granted, especially after a career that saw them go from public adoration to public denigration just like that.

I guess it depends on how the band feels about these things right now; whether they're still as full-on ambitious or whether they're more relaxed about success and stuff (except I can't imagine that they are, :)) I sure hope they won't do anything that would make them look silly and out-of-place; trying to appeal to teenagers is, I think, behind them now.

I think that the choice of the first single and whether it will connect with the audience will be one of the crucial factors. Look at what Discotheque has done for POP and what Beatiful Day has done for ATYCLB.

They're popular here :yes:

I think in their "age" and in this competitive music industry, unfortunately they will have to work harder to be popular again each time and I could see them doing another little pre-album promotion tour like they did the last time around. A strong first single will definitely help too.

On the other hand, didn't Paul McGuiness say they won't be doing any kind of live shows this year? Kind of strange if the album is coming in October...

edit* I think most of the promo the last time around was in the months around the album's release - October and November. The first show was probably Manray in France.

Last edited:
There's a crap load of bands that are popular now but they have shitty albums. If U2 were to produce a really great album and not be popular at all anymore, I honestly wouldn't mind.

Here are the biggest selling albums WORLDWIDE so far this decade.(Albums released since January 1, 2000)

1. Beatles: 1 : 24,000,000
2. Norah Jones: Come Away With Me : 18,000,000
3. Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP : 17,000,000
4. Eminem: The Eminem Show : 16,000,000
5. Britney Spears: Oops!....I Did It Again : 15,000,000
6. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory : 14,000,000
7. Shania Twain: UP! : 14,000,000
8. N'Sync: No Strings Attached : 13,000,000
9. Madonna: Music : 12,500,000
10. Evanescence : Fallen : 12,000,000
11. Avril Lavigne: Let Go : 11,800,000
12. U2: ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND : 11,500,000
13. Dido: No Angel : 11,000,000
14. Limp Bizkit: Chocolate Starfish : 11,000,000
15. Shakira: Laundry Service : 11,000,000
16. Pink: M!SSUNDAZTOOD : 11,000,000
17. Enya: A Day Without Rain : 10,500,000
18. Shaggy: Hotshot : 10,500,000
19. Moby: Play : 10,000,000
20. Robbie Williams: Escapology : 10,000,000

Edit the solo artist out just leaving the bands and groups and you have:

2. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory : 14,000,000
3. N'Sync: No Strings Attached : 13,000,000
4. Evanescence : Fallen : 12,000,000
5. U2: ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND : 11,500,000
6. Limp Bizkit: Chocolate Starfish : 11,000,000

U2 currently have the 4th biggest selling album of the decade by an active band or group. The largest selling album by an active band this decade is Linkin Park with 14,000,000 of Hybrid Theory sold. Thats only 2.5 million ahead of ATYCLB.

U2 on the other hand would blow these bands out of the water when it comes to tickets sold at rock concerts.

On a Global basis, U2 continues to be the most popular band in the world, just as they have been for the majority of the time if not all of the time since 1987.

Still, there is no certainty that the new album will sell as well as ATYCLB or if the tour will be in stadiums instead of Arena's.

This has been the longest length its taken U2 to put out a new album and that certainly will have an effect on the promotion process and reaction from the public.

Still, I think this album is going to do very well. The question is will it do as well as ATYCLB did.

STING2 said:
Still, I think this album is going to do very well. The question is will it do as well as ATYCLB did.

No, I don't think it will but I think it will be better than ATYCLB but just not as commercial. There will probably be one or two hit singles but nothing really big I think. Maybe one big song a la Beautiful Day, yeah, that could totally happen. I think it will be a big record that will sell a lot but just not as much as ATYCLB, it will find it?s audience and it will please the old and new U2 fans and it will have even better reviews than ATYCLB. Mark my words.

By the way thanks for the numbers, I like that stuff. :up:

Chizip said:
i really hope they dont go on Ellen

took the words right out my mouth, my friend... took the words right out of my mouth

when ever i go to unforgettable fire shows, the place is always packed... a few kids on the high school basketball team i coach think ATYCLB is u2's best record ever, baisicly because it's the record that introduced them to the band... one of them just asked me to burn a copy of the slane concert for him, which of course i did (gotta help new converts along)...

u2's popularity is as high as ever... now if the album just isn't happening, then it'll obvilously fall off a bit (which is why i think they're taking so long to make this one). but as long as there's just one hit single on this new record... one beautiful day, one pride, one.. um... one.... then they'll be just fine.

STING's figures show they can hold their own against the shittiest music the world has ever known.
But it all comes down to the album = acceptance. Taking out of course the die hards who will still buy it anyway.

no farm club was not their first promo appearence. that was the gig at the roof of the clarence hotel in dublin which was shot for top of the pops

Last edited:
Mullen-Girl said:
I know here in DC there are lots of people that are anxiously waiting for their cd to come out. :)

You can count me in that category. I have been driving everyone crazy, including myself, with anticipation. Plus, I know a few friends around the area that can't wait either.

But I don't think U2 will promote the upcoming album as much. I really believe that they don't need to. I can understand why they did after Pop, which I loved, but some people may have needed a wake-up call to see that U2 was still around and making great music. This time around, I think they still have momentum from ATYCLB. Not that I don't love to see them on TV!

Angela Harlem said:
STING's figures who they can hold their own against the shittiest music the world has ever known.
But it all comes down to the album = acceptance. Taking out of course the die hards who will still buy it anyway.

Exactly. Most of that other stuff is SHIT, trendy garbage that was bought on a whim by fad addicted kids. In time, I believe ATYCLB will move up due to its quality and U2's staying power, while Nsync and Britney will freeze right there (it's like moving up in the top posters list because you keep posting and pass people who were banned or changed names and don't get any more posts, yes I'm so addicted to this place I use it for lame analogies.)

But overall we can safely say 2 things, that U2 are popular, and that most U2 fans and millions of casual fans apparently didn't think ATYCLB sucked;)

:banghead: There is another typing error lol. I now feel the need to go back and edit that. it should be 'show' not 'who'...This is about the 12th stupid mistake I have typed this afternoon.

And despite my previous claims of intense dislike, I agree completely on ATYCLB. I did miss something with that album, but the majority didn't. :)

And leave it to the Beatles to take number one in yet another century, the spirit lives on!

I would be interested to see where other U2 albums placed compared to their competition at the time if anyone has that.

They need to keep the fans as happy, if not happier, with the next album. They need to keep "themselves" interested so that the enthusiasum will spill over onto us, and they need to be "sure" of the album before it's released......and all of this is a tall order. However, I have faith that they will succeed. Any band is bound to gain some fans, as well as, lose some. Those they lose probably weren't die-hard fans anyways, but rather "trendy" music followers.

Irregardless, I think the demand for tickets will be the usual again.....phone lines jammed, scalpers making big bucks, and a lot of hype to go along with it.

Oh, one more thing...Mick and the boys are much older, and they're still drawing new fans and big crowds. I wouldn't start worrying just yet.:wink:

STING2 said:

Edit the solo artist out just leaving the bands and groups and you have:

2. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory : 14,000,000
3. N'Sync: No Strings Attached : 13,000,000
4. Evanescence : Fallen : 12,000,000
5. U2: ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND : 11,500,000
6. Limp Bizkit: Chocolate Starfish : 11,000,000

Also consider Linkin Park/Limp bizkit/nu metal isn't as "in" as it used to be, N'Sync is out of the business with its members taking on solo careers and probably won't never be as popular again - boy bands are out too, Evanescence split up right?

11,500,000? I thought it was past 12 million already...

Back
Top Bottom