U2 popularity check. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:55 PM
U2 popularity check.

So we're almost to the point where promotion of the album will kick in. I'm just wondering how is U2's popularity in your neck of the woods, and how much work do you think they need to do to make this album be successful, and the following tour?

I realize that they are a well established rock band, but come this fall it will have been 3 years out of the public eye. Some people might have forgotten, some might not care anymore. I know a friend of mine who grew up loving U2 with me just doesn't really seem to like them anymore. But it's just because of stupid reasons, like they're looking older, or the fact that Bono doesn't do characters onstage anymore.

So they have some new fans to make, some old fans to please, and some fans who have fallen off the U2 bandwagon... they need to get those people back on. They are older now, and they are definately starting to look their age. It's not a bad thing and they are all good looking guys (not gay), but old people are a hard sell in the music business. But what do they need to do, promotionally, to make the album a big success?

Old 05-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Personally I like the massive and aggressive promotion attack they did with ATYCLB, I thought that was great cause they were everywhere and I love that, I’m very proud to be a U2 fan so I love to know that there is a lot of people out there who are seeing, listening the new songs on the tv, radio or whatever. I hope they come out with this new album like that too and I think that’s what’s going to happen. As I have said before, some dumb people see U2 as a pop band and if this album is such a rocker than it will be a great opportunity to prove them wrong (yes, I care). It would be great to have Bono’s screams echoing all over the palace and Edge’s guitar riff out there for every dumbass that has the wrong idea about U2 to see.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Refugee

Personally I think that they may not need to work as hard as they did before. The last album was promoted like crazy and hyped to the max...in a good way. U2 are at the career where they know they have a strong following and do not need to worry about such things. Even if the album is a flop according to the billboard charts, it is the fans reaction that count. People will still go to the shows 'cause they like hearing the new, and some of their favorite new tracks and they like the energy that is U2.

I do however see them doing the talk show circut like Leno, possibly Ellen, etc.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Yes Isabelle I don't think they'll have to work hard at all. They have such a name for themselves now after the last album and tour that the name will speak for itself. Last time they had to promote themselves harder but not this time. I also hope they will not take on any gimmick to attract the MTV crowd that will only make them look silly at their age. Those kids are not going to like u2 anyway but kids who appreciate quality always will on their own. But it's hopeless to market 40 something men on the trendy, it won't work.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #5
The Fly

I think as long as they put out a good album they'll be fine. They might have lost a few of their fans during the Pop period (not my favorite album, sorry) and ATYCLB was a divisive album, but it also brought a lot more interest BACK to U2. What was really important was how ATYCLB made more sense AFTER 9/11 happened and it made their concerts much more emotionally connecting. Not to mention that Bono really fights for what he believes in when it comes to politics when he's NOT doing music and is world-wide respected. Few rock stars even try to do anything besides earn a buck.

All in all there needs to be a place for U2. Coldplay may have somewhat filled the gap for the last 4 years (I believe) for the newer generation, but we still would always like U2 to rightfully be as relevant as any new-comer. With this album I think they can continue being the "best band in the world".

Especially if the new album rocks.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:55 AM
I don't think U2's going to have to try all that hard, at least not in my neck of the woods. Everyone I know respects U2, most don't realise it's been so long since the last album and are interested in a new one. Like someone said earlier, I hope they don't try any gimmicks, they should just be themselves, go out there and promote the album for what it is, and people with good music taste will come to it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
War Child

I'm sure that there will be some political relevance to the new album, and that will help. I hope they do Saturday Night Live again. I loved seeing them there, and so did the audience.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 PM
i really hope they dont go on Ellen
Old 05-01-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Unfortunately not among my friends, but U2 definitely has a very strong following here, so they really don't need to Sell the album that hard. But an appearance downtown like the last time around wouldn't hurt , although I doubt they'll do it again. Anyway, I agree the whole MTV promotion thing is just silly and Justin junkies aren't gonna go for them anyway.

But I definitely want to see them on more talk shows, I can't stand Leno but I can always wish for a Conan or even a John Stewart appearance? Ok fine wishful thinking...
Old 05-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:55 AM
U2 are not huge here anymore. Perths a bit of a headbanger state and the last album bombed and isnt/wasnt played on the wireless at all. Except for Beautiful Day, for some reason. Probably something to do with the weather here.

Mind you, over the last few years many of the radio stations have been nationalised so now we get the music that Sydney/Melbourne people like. So who nows
Old 05-01-2004, 10:27 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think there's no guarantee at all that the next album will be successful. It's true, they may have a lot of goodwill still left from ATYCLB's success and won't have to work hard to reverse the negative view, but in this business even the fortunes of well-established artists are not safe and age will definitely work against them. I don't think that they take anything for granted, especially after a career that saw them go from public adoration to public denigration just like that.

I guess it depends on how the band feels about these things right now; whether they're still as full-on ambitious or whether they're more relaxed about success and stuff (except I can't imagine that they are, ) I sure hope they won't do anything that would make them look silly and out-of-place; trying to appeal to teenagers is, I think, behind them now.

I think that the choice of the first single and whether it will connect with the audience will be one of the crucial factors. Look at what Discotheque has done for POP and what Beatiful Day has done for ATYCLB.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #12
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:55 PM
How many months before Atyclb did they do their first promo tour concert. ? Was it the one on Farm Club ?
Old 05-02-2004, 08:09 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:55 AM
They're popular here

I think in their "age" and in this competitive music industry, unfortunately they will have to work harder to be popular again each time and I could see them doing another little pre-album promotion tour like they did the last time around. A strong first single will definitely help too.

On the other hand, didn't Paul McGuiness say they won't be doing any kind of live shows this year? Kind of strange if the album is coming in October...

edit* I think most of the promo the last time around was in the months around the album's release - October and November. The first show was probably Manray in France.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:04 PM   #14
The Fly

If you ask me I think they've just lost it.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:09 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:55 PM
There's a crap load of bands that are popular now but they have shitty albums. If U2 were to produce a really great album and not be popular at all anymore, I honestly wouldn't mind.