U2 playing with other people on their tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Seeing U2 + Bruce Springsteen in 1987 on Youtube made me wonder...with who else did the band play at their shows?

Of course BB King and his band,
Bruce Springsteen on JT tour and Vertigo tour,
Daniel Lanois on last two tours and I think I saw a brief video with him playing on Zoo TV with U2,
Mary J Blige/Vertigo and Gwen Stefani/Elevation a few times,
Axl Rose on Zoo TV,
Brian Eno in Sarajevo
Brandon Flowers from The Killers on Vertigo...anyone else?

(Lou Reed on Zoo TV was always on tape right? He never performed live on Satellite of love with them?)

Lou Reed was once on stage, during the Joshua Tree tour he sang with Bono during a "Walk On The Wild Side" snippet of bad. It was on 1987-06-28, during the Croke Park, Dublin show.

vaz02 said:
someone from ABBA during zoo tv in stockholm

:yes: How could I forget? Benny and Bjorn.

:hmm: I think Pearl Jam opened a few shows in 1993 for U2, not sure they ever joined U2 on stage.

U2girl said:

:yes: How could I forget? Benny and Bjorn.

:hmm: I think Pearl Jam opened a few shows in 1993 for U2, not sure they ever joined U2 on stage.

i slated ABBA to my dad ( who is a major fan ) and we were watching TV about ABBA and it showed a clip of the concert where benny and bjorn joined u2 on stage and my dad was like " see even your band like them ".

When ABBA left the stage didnt bono say summet was wrong with his ears or earings ? lol me and my dad laughed at that

Lou Reed performed Satellite of Love with the band in person 8/12/92 at Giants Stadium.

Bob Dylan also performed I Shall be Released and Knockin' on Heaven's Door 4/20/87 during JT Tour in LA.

Also Gwen Stefani played Whats Going On with them during Elevation tour.

Last edited:
vaz02 said:

When ABBA left the stage didnt bono say summet was wrong with his ears or earings ? lol me and my dad laughed at that

Yeh i have the live version of that - bono says something like
'oh we have an injury' (the you hear him go quietly 'fuck') and something to do with him loosing his earring. Makes me laugh every time!

Didn't Bono sing with Killers at one of their shows? I know you asked for others with U2 though...but I heard this once and I was curious if it was true

eddie vedder sang old man river with the band in toronto. bono joined pearl jam on stage a few days later, also in toronto.

vedder.jpg

vedder1.jpg

U2girl said:
Patti Smith on this tour, and The Alarm on War tour.

Yep. The Alarm joined U2 at one War show, while at one or two others, just their vocalist Mike Peters came on stage.

Maria McKee joined U2 at a couple of shows on JT and Lovetown. The Red Rockers joined U2 for 40 at at least one UF Tour show. Steven Wickham (I think that's his name) who did some electric violin on the War album joined U2 a few times on the War and UF Tours.

Axver said:

Yep. The Alarm joined U2 at one War show, while at one or two others, just their vocalist Mike Peters came on stage.

Maria McKee joined U2 at a couple of shows on JT and Lovetown. The Red Rockers joined U2 for 40 at at least one UF Tour show. Steven Wickham (I think that's his name) who did some electric violin on the War album joined U2 a few times on the War and UF Tours.

Yep his name's Steve Wickham, he was the violinist with the Waterboys.

vaz02 said:

i slated ABBA to my dad ( who is a major fan ) and we were watching TV about ABBA and it showed a clip of the concert where benny and bjorn joined u2 on stage and my dad was like " see even your band like them ".

ABBA are Gods of the music world, I'll have you know.

thelaj said:
Shankar played with U2 for One & Bad on the ZOOTV Tour, doing violin.

Bad on the 2nd Wembley Zooropa gig, very nice.

The New Voices of Freedom at MSG in '87. Also I think they had somebody onstage the first time they played Watchtower, October tour I think...will have to look that up.

Edit: My notes say Pete Wylie of Wah Heat!

Back
Top Bottom