U2 played the Super Bowl for free!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*Ally*

New Yorker
well, at least this might quiet some of the "U2 sold out" critics!
http://www.ap.org
February 8, 2002
From The Associated Press:

U2 Played Super Bowl For Free
Fri Feb 8,12:24 PM ET

NEW YORK - Entertainment Weekly reports that U2 played the Super Bowl
halftime show for free. The magazine reports that the NFL was willing to pay
them but they didn't want any money.

Janet Jackson was the first choice for the halftime show but when NFL bigwigs
caught a U2 show in New York City they felt the band would set the right tone
for the festivities after Sept. 11.

The report says Mariah Carey and Paul McCartney also were not paid for their
services, but the NFL picked up their travel expenses.

lmao. Yeah, real sell-outs, those U2 guys.
tongue.gif

That is so freaking awesome. I just read the article before I coming here. Yeah, to all the people who were accusing U2 of doing the halftime performance out of greed, I'd like to officially give a big

BOO-ya!

biggrin.gif

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

Originally posted by Mirrorball Girl:
That is so freaking awesome. I just read the article before I coming here. Yeah, to all the people who were accusing U2 of doing the halftime performance out of greed, I'd like to officially give a big

BOO-ya!

biggrin.gif

Indeed.

I'd like to send a big

icon22.gif

their way as well.

And to sum up my feelings about U2, I think a big:

icon35.gif

will do quite nicely.

[This message has been edited by Hallelujah Here She Comes (edited 02-08-2002).]

wow...that's all I can say

to the idiots
2up.gif

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Oh My God!! I love the boys even more now.

*Total U2 Fuzzies*

Does Mariah Carey really need to get paid, after she got $49 million when her contract was dropped???

Originally posted by mug222:
Not to play the devil's advocate, but two points must be mentioned:

1) When people speak about "Selling out" (an inane term anyway) they are not talking about U2 getting paid by the NFL but about the huge audience that U2 gains through this venue (which will no doubt lead to increased sales).

2) Paul McCartney and even Mariah Carey didn't get paid.

For those artists doing this for financial gain the point is not to get a small bonus from the NFL but to be able to advertise to 800 million people worldwide.

Agreed, but if you're gonna sell out, heck you take the money. The fact that they didn't and that they staged basically the same thing as the tour are 2 major strikes against the sell out issue.

Yeah Mariah Carey and Paul McCartney didn't either, but heck they NEED the publicity. I mean if anyone needs publicity right now it's Mariah after just getting dropped from her label. And if McCartney's new album sounds anything like that song "Freedom" he needs a bunch drunks to watch him on TV, booze always makes things sound better.

*please note the humor and sarcasm in the whole post, not trying to attack.
wink.gif

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

They just don't need the superbowl money because they will get a lot of money from me and all the european U 2 fans in the next months...
wink.gif

annalivia

------------------
"I'm a singer. You know what a singer is? Someone with a hole in his heart as big as his ego.
When you need 20,000 people screaming your name in order to feel good about your day,
you know you're a singer."

Bono's Harvard address, June 2001

Well I'm not surprised that they didn't take the money. Didn't they donate the money NBC gave them when they used BD in Summer Olympic promos a couple of years ago?
But hearing that they wouldn't accept money gives me *fuzzies*

------------------
Daisy :)

She's standing at the station with her face pressed up against the glass.

"Jon, why can't you do what Bono says"--The Daily Show

Not to play the devil's advocate, but two points must be mentioned:

1) When people speak about "Selling out" (an inane term anyway) they are not talking about U2 getting paid by the NFL but about the huge audience that U2 gains through this venue (which will no doubt lead to increased sales).

2) Paul McCartney and even Mariah Carey didn't get paid.

For those artists doing this for financial gain the point is not to get a small bonus from the NFL but to be able to advertise to 800 million people worldwide.

If they didn't need the money, I think it would have been better to have accepted the money, then donated it to the charity of their choice.

Back
Top Bottom