U2 plans to release "Hands That Built America" during invasion of Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed, why else do you think there is a remake of The Four Feathers in cinemas at the moment?

And why did Europe win the Ryder Cup?

The Wanderer said:
U2 release their all-time greatest kiss-up to the US as a show of support and solidarity! :sexywink:

Kiss-up? Granted, I haven't seen any lyrics for this song yet, but I thought the song is about the Irish and how they built America (and maybe New York more specifically as it is for the movie Gangs Of New York). So I think the USA should make The Best Of 1990-2000 a #1 album as a kiss-up and solidarity with the Irish! :D

C ya!

Marty

i for one sure hopes this song doesn't become a patriotic war song.

i hate saddam, but i hate the idea of starting a war with him more.

once bush pushes the red button, i'm hiding in my basement.

never press a desperate enemy.

is this true or a political joke (considering the source)? I dont think U2 is even planning on releasing the song as a single are they??

(sorry if Im being painfully naive but I dont hang out here often enough to know when people are joking or not, my instinct is that this is a Wanderer joke!)

I think it will bea released as a single from the soundtrack of the movie Gangs of New York, but not as a single of Best of

:huh: I don't perceive this as "sucking up" to the USA at all. First off, the movie is due out this December. This has been set for months now. It's only logical that the single would be released during this time as well. And, as someone else pointed out, the movie is about Irish immigrants coming to New York. The way I see it, the timing with this whole thing with Iraq is merely coincidental.

Is this going to be released as a single? I didn't know, I thought it was going to be on the album, and in the movie, and that was it. I didn't know that two single releases were planned. Perhaps, I'm a perpetually confused person (like all autistics) and don't know the particulars of this.
Of course if this is a political joke, as it seems to be, I get it. I hope it's a joke. I normally don't make political statements in public but I am against a war in Iraq.:scream: :scream:

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Is this going to be released as a single? I didn't know, I thought it was going to be on the album, and in the movie, and that was it. I didn't know that two single releases were planned. Perhaps, I'm a perpetually confused person (like all autistics) and don't know the particulars of this.
Of course if this is a political joke, as it seems to be, I get it. I hope it's a joke. I normally don't make political statements in public but I am against a war in Iraq.:scream: :scream:

me too.....as far as I'm concerned, U2 to me is a band that endorses supporting critical human disasters such as the AIDS crisis in Africa. They may make comments as to their political stance during interviews, but they would never release a record supporting a war.

Oh, and I'm with you, Verte. I would never normally bring my politics into this (I don't even tell my mother what I vote) but I live in England, and all I have to say is, that 200,000 people marched in London on Sunday against war in Iraq

sorry to be all morbid
Lu
:wave:

No, if they do release this as a single in December it will be because of the movie and not the war, since it was made last spring specifically for the movie. It's really got nothing to do with Iraq.

I'm as serious as death

this song is new, U2 needed something like this to market to the US in wake of 9/11 and the planned invasion (who said anything about war?) of Iraq

you don't think it will be blaring out on radio stations across America once it's released? it will be an anthem, a song of reflection and pride for the American People, it will be a hymn much like "God Bless America"

bear :sexywink:

brettig said:
Indeed, why else do you think there is a remake of The Four Feathers in cinemas at the moment?

And why did Europe win the Ryder Cup?

Europe won the Ryder Cup because Curtis Strange is a moron. He has blown many other Ryder Cups as a player, and a captain's pick. Now it's a hat trick, blowing another Ryder Cup as a captain. It also helps Europe that they have some Irishmen on their side, Clarke and Harrington. US also lost because they don't have John Daly. Then again, if Europe has Olazabal and Justin Rose it would have been a whitewash. Tiger also conisders the Ryder Cup an exhibition match and he doesn't put as much importance to it as winning individual accolades. After all, Ryder Cup performance has never been a factor in measuring greatness in golf.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

you rock, mikal.

mikal said:
i for one sure hopes this song doesn't become a patriotic war song.

i hate saddam, but i hate the idea of starting a war with him more.

once bush pushes the red button, i'm hiding in my basement.

never press a desperate enemy.
:yes:

I find it cool that they wrote "Hands" almost 15 years after Bono made the statement that the Irish built New York.

In the Rattle & Hum Outakkes, they are riding through New York on the way to Harlem to meet the chior and he said "The Irish built these roads you know".

verte76 said:

I'm with you . . . I hope that this is just a silly joke. If not . . . :no:

Back
Top Bottom