U2 = Overrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
every 'serious' music listener thinks U2 are overrated

'serious' music listeners are usually horrible people who buy Dream Theater records so no love lost then. :)

*P.S. If anyone reading this likes DT, I'm happy to retract this statement...but they're one of my least favourite bands ever.

Isn't that what's great about U2? I mean they are not virtuoso's on any instrument. Sure the Edge is great musician, but he's a guitarist who plays the least possible notes, and never goes for all out flair or dramatics. Bono is a fantastic singer, yet early on he was more howl and growl, and lately he's compensating for his loss of range. Larry and Adam are steady, which is not a knock, but by no means are they considered the best or most creative on their instruments.

The magic of U2 is that the music they make together is meaningful. Somehow, someway it works better than they could ever imagine. Sure some of their albums are fuzzy and out of focus, but good Lord are you telling me that the Stones and (ha!) Genesis, with their virtuosos, have never made an album that wasn't great start to finish? Even the Beatles and Zeppelin had albums that are considered less than stellar. I have no problem with people disliking U2 for it's political stance or even its songs or (goodness) Bono, but to call them "hacks" is a bit harsh and undeserved. But to each his own...

Every band that a lot of people like is "overrated."

It's just easier for people to dismiss bands whose popularity they don't understand by calling them overrated.

You have to love music snobbery.....The ability to play an instrument to a high technical level should always come second to sheer imagination and creativity, which are areas U2 excel in. You don't need 10 minute guitar solos.

I fucking hate musos.:yes:

'serious' music listeners are usually horrible people who buy Dream Theater records so no love lost then.

WANKERS!

thanks yertle, i've always wanted to saythat :)

yertle-the-turtle said:

'serious' music listeners are usually horrible people who buy Dream Theater records so no love lost then. :)

*P.S. If anyone reading this likes DT, I'm happy to retract this statement...but they're one of my least favourite bands ever.

DT is ok, they have a couple of good tunes. The problem is that they are way too technical. Sometimes I think their songs have no true meaning or emotion but they are great technicians, especially the drummer, probably one of the best drummer's of our time.
By the way, if anyone didn't know DT cover 2 U2 songs, Bad, and One Tree Hill. Probably the best U2 covers I have heard so far.

yertle-the-turtle said:

Yeah I agree. These serious music listeners buy Dream Theater. Hahahaha! What a pity!

Cheers,

J

Whats The Story? said:
You have to love music snobbery.....The ability to play an instrument to a high technical level should always come second to sheer imagination and creativity, which are areas U2 excel in. You don't need 10 minute guitar solos.

I fucking hate musos.:yes:

Music snobbery and guitar solos, two things I don't really like. Next to U2, my favorite band of all time is The Police (yes, not Bon Jovi - maybe they are in the top 5). The Police didn't do many guitar solos themselves, and they were a great band. I just don't see what guitar solos are for if the song doesn't call for it. It's just a flexing of finger muscles put on record. As someone posted a few months ago, it might even be better to listen to an mp3 of Bono's fart, then listen to pointless finger exercise.

Cheers,

J

KhanadaRhodes said:
do we really need ANOTHER "is U2 overrated" thread? :yawn:

it's not like anyone on the board thinks they are.

Precisely, and the other board thinks they are. When people post in this board that U2 is vastly overrated, obviously they are trolling because this is a U2 list. But now, here are a bunch of audiophile music snobs who honestly believe with their own "reasonable" reasons that U2 is overrated, so I'd like to think how you guys would refute it.

Maybe you guys should jump over to audioasylum and defend out band. You don't need to sign up to post there anyway.

Cheers,

J

Bunbury said:

DT is ok, they have a couple of good tunes. The problem is that they are way too technical. Sometimes I think their songs have no true meaning or emotion but they are great technicians, especially the drummer, probably one of the best drummer's of our time.
By the way, if anyone didn't know DT cover 2 U2 songs, Bad, and One Tree Hill. Probably the best U2 covers I have heard so far.

And where can we get a cd or dvd or mp3 of DT covering those songs? It's always interesting to see overly technical bands do a U2 cover. U2's music being too simple must drive them but to try and cover it, and when they do complicate it while covering it, the song usually loses the meaning and emotion as U2 originally did it. But I'm giving DT the benefit of the doubt. So let me know where you can find it. Thanks.

Cheers,

J

all you who say solos suck can go to hell:wink:

solos are the best thing to come out of a guitar i say if ya cant solo dont play the guitar bitch.

good singer+solos=ROCK&ROLL

normal singer+no solos= coldplay etc.:wink:

hehehe i love you guys:wave:

yertle-the-turtle said:
then in that case dream theater are the greatest band in the world.

considering all they do is solo.
[/QUOTE

NO let me show you something
1.there are good solos that rock and have feeling and soul in it.
2.there are trash solos that have no felling and suck yes there are solos that suck.

ill also check this dt u2 cover.

o k so im 58 sec in the bad(u2cover) by dt. well the guitars suck alot. and so does the singing(its not that bad)(ive heard better version of bad by u2 cover bands)
i know nothing about this band and is the chick the lead singer.(she is singing bad)
oh what the fuck:huh: :lol: just saw the pics of the band, man they are UGLY looking(but thats not the point) so the lead singer sings like a pusy hahaha sounds like a girl, ya all have to listen to this its so funnyyyyyyyyy haha.

the guy sings like a girl i mean like a girly girl hahahah. he sounds like a lady hahaha.

man this is some funny shit i love you guys.

jick said:

Precisely, and the other board thinks they are. When people post in this board that U2 is vastly overrated, obviously they are trolling because this is a U2 list. But now, here are a bunch of audiophile music snobs who honestly believe with their own "reasonable" reasons that U2 is overrated, so I'd like to think how you guys would refute it.

Maybe you guys should jump over to audioasylum and defend out band. You don't need to sign up to post there anyway.

Cheers,

J
I don't see any need to go to another forum to defend U2 to people who probably listen to music in a way that's totally different from the way I do

and yes,
incessantly posting negative comments about a band on a forum about that band is trolling, especially when you do it just to piss other forum members off

but I'm quite sure you're aware of the what's trolling and what's not

shaun vox said:
o k so im 58 sec in the bad(u2cover) by dt. well the guitars suck alot. and so does the singing(its not that bad)(ive heard better version of bad by u2 cover bands)
i know nothing about this band and is the chick the lead singer.(she is singing bad)
oh what the fuck:huh: :lol: just saw the pics of the band, man they are UGLY looking(but thats not the point) so the lead singer sings like a pusy hahaha sounds like a girl, ya all have to listen to this its so funnyyyyyyyyy haha.

the guy sings like a girl i mean like a girly girl hahahah. he sounds like a lady hahaha.

man this is some funny shit i love you guys.

Yea the vocalist is what has been criticized mostly about this band. I do agree not the best vocalist. About looks, I really don't care. The rest of what you have said is irrelevant :tongue:

jick said:

And where can we get a cd or dvd or mp3 of DT covering those songs? It's always interesting to see overly technical bands do a U2 cover. U2's music being too simple must drive them but to try and cover it, and when they do complicate it while covering it, the song usually loses the meaning and emotion as U2 originally did it. But I'm giving DT the benefit of the doubt. So let me know where you can find it. Thanks.

Cheers,

J

Try Kazaa or Direct Connect Plus Plus you are likely to find them.

The problem with Dream Theatre's cover of Bad is that they tried to make it sound just like the version on the Unforgettable Fire album. I like covers that actually put a new spin on an old song. Like for instance, that japanese singer's cover of "With or Without You" that was an awesome cover.

Coldplay is OVERRATED

Norah Jones is OVERRATED

U2 is TRUE GREATNESS!!

U2 is simple and great. U2 is feeling.
And there?s nothing left to say.

DT is an ok band. But Bad cover sucks. Every DT live song sucks because LaBrie?s voice is terrible. In the studio versions of their songs, his voice doesnt suck, he probably uses pro-tools.

Salome said:
I don't see any need to go to another forum to defend U2 to people who probably listen to music in a way that's totally different from the way I do
exactly. it's why i barely blink an eye when someone posts a link to a nirvana forum trashing U2, or some article trashing them. everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and i'm not about to look like some crazed fool who loves the band so much that i can't even see that people are entitled to their own opinions.

even if they post stuff that just isn't true, i don't see the need to rally up the forces just to defend the band to a bunch of people bono and the gang wouldn't really worry about anyway.

FelipeVox said:
U2 is simple and great. U2 is feeling.
And there?s nothing left to say.

DT is an ok band. But Bad cover sucks. Every DT live song sucks because LaBrie?s voice is terrible. In the studio versions of their songs, his voice doesnt suck, he probably uses pro-tools.

Agree, yea, he sucks.:|

yertle-the-turtle said:

being on the radiohead side of listeners we tend to be more objective, although anything that sounds a certain way tends to get eaten up and burned by the acid

Back
Top Bottom