U2 on SNL, questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I know it was the week after Ashlee Simpson lip synched and was caught doing it, and I know with the performance of Vertigo, Edge did some improv strums and Bono said "Live live live..." and they went into Vertigo...

Next with "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" there was a hot mic...

"I Will Follow" Bono changed up the lyrics and he puts his arm around on Edge and Edge hits the wrong key, and Bono goes "I'll follow you anywhere the Edge!" and then when the song breaks down, Bono sings "Shame on you, for your hurt... Your eyes..."

So I'm wondering if U2 planned these to make people realize they were playing live, especically after what Ashlee Simpson did.

Ashlee's performance after U2 was a repeat. Then they repeated the u2 show as well. SNL got alot of mileage on both performances.

I tend to think the same as you, theu2fly. I think U2 was really set up to show SNL and everyone else what they could do since what Ashlee did might have soured some peoples opinion of SNL. I also think that U2 wasn't the only one purposefully doing things. I think SNL intentionally got U2 to play to show that SNL still had great live music performances. I still have yet to see the version of IWF off of SNL, but the LIVE LIVE LIVE LIVE comment was pretty neat. I think Bono also did that on the Jonathan Ross show.

If U2 were rubbing it in regarding Ashlee, it would only be "live live live" part, in my opinion. The rest were normal U2 live "antics."

:reject: ok sorry

well I think your thought is legitimate, though I don't think they'd worry about something like that, even after simpson's mishap. I mean, they've been performing live over 20 years now...

He had done the live, live, live thing before... he did it at the HQ broadcast on Radio One, did it after SNL on Jonathan Ross... I don't think it was a direct dig at Ashlee Simpson...

As far ast the other things being done on purpose or SNL scarmbling to prove they still have relevant guests... I would say no way... w

When there was that feedback, you could tell that Bono was hurt by the buzz in his ear... :|

SNL musical guests are planned a bit in advance... it's not like they could just call U2 and say, "hey listen we're in a jam... could you drop by and show these youngsters how it is done?"

And wow, didnt know we has such heavy duty conspiracy theorists around here :wink:

Last edited:
Miroslava said:

SNL musical guests are planned a bit in advance... it's not like they could just call U2 and say, "hey listen we're in a jam... could you drop by and show these youngsters how it is done?"

:lol:
We knew the dates pretty well in advance on the forums I think, maybe in that U2 and Tivo thread.

That's interesting about the "live live live" thing, didn't know that he'd done it before.

Well, he hadn't really done the 'live' bit before. On Radio One he repeated 'one'.

You made me doubt myself, but I'm right... He says live, live, live. Listen to it if you have it... it goes:

Live, live, live, BBC, Radio One, One, One...

:wink:

Ah, I hadn't played the clip for over a month now and I just remembered the reptition of 'one'. My mistake!

I taped the SNL performance and showed it to my cousin (who's 15). She said, "Why does he keep saying 'Live, live, live'?" and I reminded her about the whole Ashlee Simpson debacle. She thought it was ironic that Bono kind of lost his voice during SYCMIOYO at the part where he sings, "best you can do is to fake it", since he was so obviously NOT faking it!
Off topic: My cousin goes around telling people that I've brainwashed her into loving U2 since she was born. Which I have. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom