U2 on POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think HTDAAB would be much stronger if they put the alternate version of ABOY, Sometimes..., and Yahweh (or just eliminate Yahweh from the album...it doesn't feel right). Then put Native Son instead of Vertigo and put Fast Cars on ALL the albums...not just the Japanese.

rjhbonovox said:

Sometimes is far from being a masterpiece. Since being a single release and hearing this song day after day, it bores the pants off me now. I used to think this song was a 9/10 but its definetly down to a 7/10. The only saving grace for the song is the middle Edge guitar to the end. The first 2 verses and choruses drag by and the falsetto bit in the chorus makes me cringe everytime I hear it, sounds like U2 doing Bon Jovi to me, so obvious, too bloody obvious! Yes, I think you can call me a certain SYCMIOYO hater!

I'm with you on this one. Agree with everything you said about Sometimes, but for me it's never been 9/10.

I remember listening to HTDAAB for the first time, and when i heard this song, the first verses, i was like... :slant:
'Tough, you think you've got the stuff/ You're telling me and anyone you're hard enough' ?! Wtf?

The alternate version + the video saves it for me, but i still don't really care.

I think it's the fact that the song is about Bono's father and all the story behind it that makes it so popular.

HTDAAB would be better with the prior versions (i.e.Yahweh). But its obviously my opinion.

And yes, i think i wouldn't like Pop so much if it was 'finished'. Its magic- it's all about being 'disjointed'.

A big "Thank You" to those of you who have stuck to the original point of this thread: Quotes by the band members themselves about POP. I purposely did not want to turn this into yet another discussion about who likes it, understands it, appreciates it for what it is, etc... I just want to hear the quotes.

Black pp loves Pop. In fact, it's the only U2 album they love (R&H is not an "album", strictu sensu).

Reggie Thee Dog said:

In Brazil or where? I've never heard that before.:eyebrow:

That was a joke because of that silly "U2 makes music for white ppl only" thread.

In fact, blacks love Passengers...:eyebrow:

Axver said:

Yeah, it's hidden below the surface. I'm sure rivergoat can tell you more, he's the expert on this stuff. He even reversed Mofo and you actually get full lyrics rather than gibberish. There's another one that saw a LOT of attention in the studio.

Well, I haven't read that, but the earliest origin of the song is the appearance of the line "wake up, wake up dead man" in Take You Down, the rocking Axtung Beibi song that became The Fly and others.

Hmm...i thought the weird background singing in WUDM was a sample of some Hungarian singers doing some traditional Hungarian song (or something). (It would be weird if U2 sampled one of their R&H songs backwards...though i like the idea!)

Back
Top Bottom