U2 on Headphones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
I would like to inform those that havent already tried listening to U2 (live or studio) of the whole new experience awaiting you by listening to them on a good pair of headphones at high volume. I find it hard to not listen thro headphones now. The detail you pick up, that you might otherwise miss or not realise exists and the whole vibe is different and far more pleasurable. Be a devil............try it. You might find you appreciate them even more

With the advent of the iPod especially, I would say that the majority of us do listen to U2 (and all of our other music) mainly on iPods now. And you're right, I always notice little details throught my earphones that I don't hear when I'm listening from iTunes library or in my car (I still need a car system for my iPod:( )

love2bmama said:
I need a new set of headphones, I'm on my 3rd pair of ipod earbuds and they suck. Any recommendations?

I agree Molly, I use my IPOD when I run and those stupid ear buds pop out when you sweat just a little bit and and you can't hear crap. :mad: I bought some Sony ones that wrap around the outside of the ear. They are larger but they work so much better!

I just have a pair of sony in ear earphones, they arent cheap, but not expensive either, on my MP3, but the detail is still there! Am thinking about investing in a good pair for my hi-fi tho.

Jeannieco said:

I agree Molly, I use my IPOD when I run and those stupid ear buds pop out when you sweat just a little bit and and you can't hear crap. :mad: I bought some Sony ones that wrap around the outside of the ear. They are larger but they work so much better!

I need to invest in a new set, the regular apple ones don't sound very good and they keep getting messed up, even though I'm really careful with them. I've had to send them back twice because they start buzzing. :mad:

Jeannieco said:

Can you give me a few more details on those headphones Jeannie? I use my iPod when I work out too.

I've got a reasonably cheap (20 some odd?) pair of Phillips earbuds that are GREAT- apparently there's a drum track at the very beginning of ISHFWILF. I forget what they're called, but I picked them up at Best Buy, and they have some sort of virtual surround technology; they're noticable by the advertisement of the award the tech won a few years back and little mics on the outside of the buds.

I think it depends on the album...

Zooropa/Passengers/Pop sound great under headphones, but Achtung sounds worse, and the early stuff needs to be cranked up to illegal volumes to get the full effect. :drool:

gman said:
I just have a pair of sony in ear earphones, they arent cheap, but not expensive either, on my MP3, but the detail is still there! Am thinking about investing in a good pair for my hi-fi tho.

I have those too

they are great except when the covers pop off :angry:

LemonMelon said:
I think it depends on the album...

Zooropa/Passengers/Pop sound great under headphones, but Achtung sounds worse, and the early stuff needs to be cranked up to illegal volumes to get the full effect. :drool:

Absolutely :up:

Their entire catalogue needs a good remaster. Not that "let's push everything to 11" remaster, but the dynamic Dark Side-esque remaster.

That would be amazing.

It's worth investing in some GOOD headphones. Personally, ear-bud one's don't give as good a sound as those that cover your ears, I hear much more with the latter

its really weird, but I notice the littlest things about U2 when I am running or warming up for soccer (football) games that I wouldn't notice if I was on the computer or something. I think it's because my focus level is greater, or something. Very strange.

But, this is true for any music.

U2isthebest said:

Can you give me a few more details on those headphones Jeannie? I use my iPod when I work out too.

Sure Brittany! They are the kind you wear over your ear, not inside.
They are sold everywhere, any drug store should have them or music department in a dept. store like Target. SONY brand.

They have these wire/hook things that slip around the outside of your ear and it makes them snug so you can hear when you run!
They also have changeable cap things to snap on over the actual ear piece, one pair is silver and the other a deep blue.
The actual size of the ear phone is about the diameter of a quarter.

I love them. Somebody here at work had the same problem and she bought them as well and loves them!

struckpx said:
its really weird, but I notice the littlest things about U2 when I am running or warming up for soccer (football) games that I wouldn't notice if I was on the computer or something. I think it's because my focus level is greater, or something. Very strange.

But, this is true for any music.

Ya isn't that weird, that happens to me too! I know I would die without my IPOD tunes on the treadmill. So boring...
The boys make it go by so much faster... plus other bands! :)

* MoFo * said:
It's worth investing in some GOOD headphones. Personally, ear-bud one's don't give as good a sound as those that cover your ears, I hear much more with the latter

:yes: i have Sony headphones which don't necessarily seal around your ears but they have a better surface area and the sound is incredible (they were under $20 too- i just updated a couple of weeks ago after about 6 years with my previous pair) compared to the ear-bud ones (the foam stuff always rips on those :banghead: ). A good set of headphones is a must, i try to avoid ear-buds as much as i can...

There are definately songs/albums that suit headphones when others need to be played on the cd player. I think the early U2 albums definately suit being pumped (Boy, War, JT etc :rockon: ). For me AB Zooropa and Pop suit both formats...

love2bmama said:
I need a new set of headphones, I'm on my 3rd pair of ipod earbuds and they suck. Any recommendations?

I highly recommend Shure earphones. I have E-3's and they are incredible.. its truly worth the money. They are not cheap but I managed to get mine thru ebay at about 90 dollars less then what they sell for in the stores. I have had sony's and they aren't bad but the problem with those is the the wires are so thin that not too long (a year) the plastic covering wore off and exposed the wires inside. This happened to my hubby too he had the same pair. Even though they are less expensive than the shures I end up paying more cuz I am going thru them faster. The Shures plastic coating on the wires very thick and will not wear down like the sony's. The sound is amazing too boot.. It's a great investment.. trust me..

Jeannieco said:

Ya isn't that weird, that happens to me too! I know I would die without my IPOD tunes on the treadmill. So boring...
The boys make it go by so much faster... plus other bands! :)

sunday bloody sunday is the best song to get you juiced for a big game, especially against our rival wolverines

Jeannieco said:

Sure Brittany! They are the kind you wear over your ear, not inside.
They are sold everywhere, any drug store should have them or music department in a dept. store like Target. SONY brand.

They have these wire/hook things that slip around the outside of your ear and it makes them snug so you can hear when you run!
They also have changeable cap things to snap on over the actual ear piece, one pair is silver and the other a deep blue.
The actual size of the ear phone is about the diameter of a quarter.

I love them. Somebody here at work had the same problem and she bought them as well and loves them!

Thank you so much Jeannie!! I'm going to try and run out and get those really soon. You rock!:hug:

I don't know how people manage to listen to music WITHOUT headphones. It's just inconceivable to me. You miss out on so much if you listen to it on computer / car speakers. The only way I can listen to music without headphones is if I've got a good hi-fi system set up and cranked to a high volume.

By the way, Bose headphones are fantastic.

Get the Gold CDs of War Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree and then you will know what detail sounds like. Far better then the remastered crap available.

They should do Gold CDs of all the releases.

I recently stopped using my iPod earbuds and got a pair of noise-reduction earbuds made by JVC. I'd love to get the Bose ones someday, but they're not affordable for me right now. The JVC ones were $25, and they've made my iPod sound so much better. I find that I play my music at a much lower volume but can still hear the songs so much more clearly. I wonder how much I've damaged my hearing by blasting my iPod through the old earbuds :crack:

The Gold Cds through a set of headphones sound like totally different albums, those are the best sounding discs available for the early stuff. They are downloadable if you look for them:)

Back
Top Bottom