u2 on entourage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saad

The Fly
well i just finished watching the episode where the gang goes to a u2 concert and bono wishes johnny drama happy bday right before vertigo. its funny how bono wished him happy bday in spanish. and it seemed like he didnt want to put any effort into it. i was watching a talkshow with the entourage cast on it and the guy who plays ari said that he requested it from bono backstage. hahaha looks like bono's not too fond of ppl making damn requests while hes on stage. thats my boy

saad said:
free publicity... sherlock

:huh: WTF? You're the one claiming to read Bono's mind and you're insulting me?

No shit it's for publicity. I'm saying they wouldn't have signed on for the episode if they weren't fond of doing it. When have you ever known U2 to just jump on every occasion, just for free publicity? They do the things they want to.

So your mind reading of Bono, saying he doesn't "like request" has no merit. Why, just because you thought he put little effort into it?

Watch the insults newbie.

Bonochick said:

No need to fight back rudely.

My apologies, wasn't trying to be rude. Just told him to watch the insults and he is new according to his post count...didn't really mean it as an insult.

I think I read on some old article here on Interference that one of the guys from Entourage really really really hammered on Bono until he said 'yes.' Not that no one else in the world has tried that and was turned down... But I don't think the band was totally in love with it or anything.

Yes, that was nice. :eyebrow:

Even if publicity was the motivation, which it may have been, what possible benefit was there? No new album, no current single in US, touring in Europe on the verge of a month off?

Who knows...?

Utoo said:
I think I read on some old article here on Interference that one of the guys from Entourage really really really hammered on Bono until he said 'yes.'

It was Jeremy Piven, I can understand how he'd be pretty persuasive :wink:

I don't even have HBO so I have no clue about the episode, I assume U2 just thought it would be a fun and different thing to do, and like I said.. the Jeremy factor

supposedly he is a big U2 fan and maybe that had something to do w/ it as well

Last edited:
I didn't get that interpetation at all. No one said that as far as I can read.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

It was Jeremy Piven, I can understand how he'd be pretty persuasive :wink:

I don't even have HBO so I have no clue about the episode, I assume U2 just thought it would be a fun and different thing to do, and like I said.. the Jeremy factor

supposedly he is a big U2 fan and maybe that had something to do w/ it as well

:drool: Jeremy and Bono....two hot and short brunettes....

Well, whatever Bono's thoughts are on having to say their names in concert, the episode has been great publicity, fueling the new single and helping the album stay on the BB charts.....

entourage

Here we are about a year later and I've just seen this episode. I thought it was pretty trashy on U2's part. I've always thought that appearing on TV shows was reserved for the likes of Barenaked Ladies, Spice Girls, and Busta Rhymes , certainly not something I would ever expect from a prominent act. That said, its one thing to appear on a TV show, but its an entirely different thing to have the script customized to promote the band throughout the TV show as was the case with Entourage. That's just plain cheap. Not impressed at all.

Queen Bee said:

bowie_extras.JPG

Pathetic little fat man,
no one's bloody laughing.
The clown that no one laughs at,
they all just wish he diedddd.

:whistle:

I thought the Entourage episode was cringe-worthy. It was a cheesy thing to do, because it was so obviously fake, and not heart-felt, and I hope the band doesn't do it again.

i dont know which was more cringe worthy, this, or Bono dribbling around the heart with a WNBA basketball during the halftime of an NBA finals game.

You know, there was a time when musicians appeared in movies, did TV shows and it was fully expected. Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Bing Crosby, Sammy Davis Jr., Sonny & Cher, Judy Garland, Dean Martin, even the Beatles - it was expected for them to not just sing and have big hit records, but to make movies, be on TV with their own show or make appearances on TV shows, etc.

Then, somewhere along the line, things changed. Suddenly even daring to appear in a movie or have a script about a certain artist meant that the artist "sold out" and was "cheap". Oh, that makes sense... So now U2 are responsible for a storyline about them? If that's true, what about all the other times U2 have been mentioned on TV or the movies? All those were cheap too? Should no U2 songs ever appear in a movie? Should U2 just do music and nothing else? Should they sue any time anyone even thinks about uttering the word "U2" in public?

Somewhere along the way, people's attitudes about musicians changed - I think it started in the late 60's. Ironically enough, even acts like Hendrix, the Doors, Joplin, etc., all appeared on TV. Did they sell-out too?

Well, I don't buy it. Musicians are entertainers, and if they can act, dance, write, go solo, whatever, they should do it.

Bottom line - U2's concert went on as normal, with one tiny sentence that probably no one at the show got (or even heard) accept for those actors. Given that Mark Wahlberg is the producer, a man who knows about entertaining (and is a far better actor than musician), I see no problem with U2 doing this one tiny thing. Plus, we got to see a bit of the concert. :)

Last edited:
dude, entourage is by far the sickest show on T.V. if you don't watch it, you best. Ari Gold is the best character in T.V.

This is so tight. And it happened last season if I remember correctly.

The David Bowie scene on Extras was dreadful, even worse was a flustered Ricky Gervais singing it at the Princess Diana memorial concert when he had nothing else to say, funny he didn';t sing the song he performed in The Office taking the piss out of her death.

silvrlvr said:
I thought the Entourage episode was cringe-worthy. It was a cheesy thing to do, because it was so obviously fake, and not heart-felt, and I hope the band doesn't do it again.

I didn't think so.

The David Bowie scene on Extras was dreadful, even worse was a flustered Ricky Gervais singing it at the Princess Diana memorial concert when he had nothing else to say, funny he didn';t sing the song he performed in The Office taking the piss out of her death.

I would love to put Gervais out of his misery.

I mean, in my mind - I wouldn't really do it, but I do think he's awful.

Dusty Bottoms said:
i dont know which was more cringe worthy, this, or Bono dribbling around the heart with a WNBA basketball during the halftime of an NBA finals game.

I vote Entourage.

Back
Top Bottom