U2: Old, Crusty, Soon To Be Geriatric Rockers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I was driving to work this morning, listening to the most popular local radio station. They said that they wanted listeners to call in with comments on the VMA's. I called in and got on the air to say it was cool that U2 won the Vanguard, but I was disappointed that they didn't win other awards. They laughed and said, "Don't be greedy now!" or something like that. They then said that U2 were "old" and "crusty". They also added that U2 would be geriatric rockers soon and continued to laugh.

Some radio station...
mad.gif

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

What kind of music does this station usually play?

Originally posted by anitram:
What kind of music does this station usually play?

It's the only local station where I stand a chance of hearing any new U2...however, it is mostly the same songs played over and over again...

I better stick with the classic rock stations...at least I'll hear old stuff like "Bullet" and "New Year's Day" and "In God's Country" played with respect!

------------------

Originally posted by Bonochick:

I better stick with the classic rock stations...at least I'll hear old stuff like "Bullet" and "New Year's Day" and "In God's Country" played with respect!

Sounds like a plan!
smile.gif

What the fuck. I am only 16 and love U2. They are amazingly talented and also sexy Bono being number 1 of course.He is 41 so what. U2 still have it. I was at Slane 1 a couple of weeks ago. The main age range was from late teens to late 20s. U2 got a larger response from the crowds than the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Is this the band who are old and passed it? I think not far from it. They have got everything they have always had plus experience and that is not a bad thing. Anyone on the radio who can talk about U2 in such a negative way clearly has no musical taste what so ever. U2 may get bad comments from a minority but the fan base is the majority of people.
Laura.

NOt only is that bullshit it's igornant. Does the guy know his ass from a hole in the ground? Attitudes like that are ruining the music scene.

------------------
Just as you find me
always I will be
a little bit too free
with myself
-Bono and Edge

Another reason why Kevin and Bean are the greatest DJ's on the radio today. They recoginze the coolness and greatness of Bono unlike these baboon morons.

Aren't DJ's paid to be as obnoxious and as rude as they can be because that draws more attention to them and the radio station in general?

~rougerum

Originally posted by Henry Rollins:
Aren't DJ's paid to be as obnoxious and as rude as they can be because that draws more attention to them and the radio station in general?
generally speaking: yes

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

mad.gif
mad.gif
UH-OH!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

OLD AGE THREAD!! Gypsy's getting ready to blow her stack, but don't flame me, I'm not after anyone here!

OLD? CRUSTY? SOON TO BE GERIATRIC ROCKERS??
Damn this pisses me off! Why is it that U2 are considered to be so OLD when other bands who are even older are not spoken of in such a way. Ever hear anyone say that about Aerosmith? They are 10 or more years older than U2! What is the deal with U2 being so OLD? Of course I'm offended because I'm their age, you don't have to say it. I spent all my life being too young and all of a sudden I'm too old and it's like, when was I ever the RIGHT age?
confused.gif

Of course that is not U2's problem. They made the most of their lives, and made fine music in their prime, but as they say they are not ready to 'F- off and buy the fish farm any time soon. It must be the new prevailing attitude that anyone OLD is unacceptable. I also think this is weird because those of us who are that age now were raised on rock and are not the 'squares' people this age were in the past. I thought we'd be the coolest old farts of all, after having lived through so much rock and roll. But the fact is we are not THAT old, and this shit is absurd. If anyone dismisses U2 because of their age, it's their loss. Still, this eats the shit out of me. I can't stand it. It's so unfair. It's a form of prejudice, really, and some have it locked into their minds and that's sad. What a waste. There is no hope for some people and there is no need arguing with them. We know what U2 is, and we know they are not too old. To tell you the truth I'd rather be OLD than whatever they were on MTV last night! They sucked really, really bad.
U2 were so good and so different (not just because of their age) that they really didn't belong there. They are high above MTV.
There are other places for U2. There is always VH-1, the radio, the tour, the internet here and of course the hearts of their real fans!

It's sickening to think there are people that lame out there, and that they work at radio stations!

------------------
"Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage."

Originally posted by Dreamboat Annie:
It's sickening to think there are people that lame out there, and that they work at radio stations!

Ditto. Ah, Feck-em! What do they know!!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
I thought we'd be the coolest old farts of all, after having lived through so much rock and roll......

There are other places for U2. There is always VH-1, the radio, the tour, the internet here and of course the hearts of their real fans!

I could not have said it better - Gypsy. We are the coolest and screw MTV and there stinking awards.

------------------
u2achtungbaby.homestead.com

Come on take me away
Come on take me home
Home again

Originally posted by UV2001:
U2 got a larger response from the crowds than the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Is this the band who are old and passed it? I think not far from it.

The Chilis aren't exactly young bucks themselves.

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Originally posted by Bonochick:
"old" like a fine wine and

"crusty" like a delicious french baguette

Sounds like a picnic to me.
wink.gif

(Don't let the bastards grind you down.)

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Hah. I'd like to see those radio losers run around the stage like human pogostick every night for two hours. I mean, I'm only 21 and I wish I had Bono's energy in his fourties. They're not old, they're RIPE, baby!
smile.gif

I should email those two radio people the URL to this thread.
wink.gif

------------------

There`s this local Israely radio station who plays lots of great music and has an alternative music show every night. They were the first once to play Beautiful Day in Israel.But before they played the song the Dj gave this MUSICLY VALUABLE spleach about U2 being so great in the 80`s and how they soled out and how much he hates the "popymainstream" new sound. He also asked people to call in and say what they think about the new song. I was of course the first one to do so but not to say what I think about Bd but to complain about the ASSHOLE DJ! He responded on the air that :he`ll keep saying what he thinks because that`s his right!!! Fucker
mad.gif

By the way ,most people called in and said they loved it!
biggrin.gif
SO there U go stupid music snobs... the public have spoken!

------------------
"I love you `cause I need to ,not because I need you..."
-luminous times

Originally posted by PopFly:
The Chilis aren't exactly young bucks themselves.

Yeah I know that but no one ever says anything about that on the radio and none of my friends say anything about their age but they do about U2.

Originally posted by UV2001:
Yeah I know that but no one ever says anything about that on the radio and none of my friends say anything about their age but they do about U2.

This is what makes me so mad and this is what I can't understand! Like I said nobody calls anyone else OLD so why U2?? Young people love Aerosmith and think they're cool. The Peppers are as old as U2 and no one calls them old. Bon Jovi too. I haven't heard as many old age comments about Santana or the Stones as I have U2! I know they just got "OLD" but I don't think they (we) are that old yet, it's terribly rude and not funny! Just this morning, my daughter called me from a friend's house where she was staying for a slumber party. She said the "Stuck" video came on (lucky her-I haven't seen it yet!) and some of the girls (age 12-13) said something like, oh that's those OLD guys! They called Bono 'that glasses guy' and Edge 'the old hat guy'! These same girls like Aerosmith! I asked my daughter once how old she thought Aerosmith were and she said 31! They are all over 50, and U2 are just hitting their 40's! My daughter said the members of U2 look older, especially Adam. She used to joke with me that Adam was the grandfather of Bono, Edge and Larry. I know lots of you like to brag on how Larry looks but my daughter and her friends think he looks old. U2 are also accused of being SLOW but if you've seen a concert you know they are not slow, especially not Bono the way he runs around!

My son, who is 15 and like I said is a big U2 fan and likes older stuff and not MTV said he heard comments at school about age too. He thinks kids thought the Walk On video added to the "OLD AND SLOW" opinion, unfair though it is. I bet the Rio one would have fared better. MY son also said that the Elevation video did a lot to help U2's image among his classmates. Teen who were calling U2 "OLD SLOW FARTS" were suddenly talking about how "COOL" and "AWESOME" they looked in that video! Kids who used to make fun of him for wearing his U2 shirts now say "COOL!"

It does hit a raw nerve with me that U2 are called old because I am their age, but it also bugs me that they seem to be the only ones with the OLD jokes! I do think it has something to do with the fact that people are now noticing just how long they have been around and how old some of their songs are and they think, man those guys must be old by now, but they're not! They got started young! U2 have a LONG way to go before they are used up, worn out, put out to pasture or buy the proverbial fish farm.
Give them a break and let them enjoy what 'youth' they have left! We'll all be really old one day!

I forgot to add something about the Stuck video and my daughter's friends- they DID like it. They said they thought it was "funny" and that the guy who played Hewson the football player was a hottie!
biggrin.gif

She told me Bono takes his shades off at the end and looks right into the camera, oh, I can't wait! I asked her if he looked cute and she said, "He's an OLD guy! They're all OLD guys!" Sigh.
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom