U2 NOT on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

I just got this link from someone off the Dutch U2 mailing list. This link is to the Amsterdam Arena stadium, which U2 were rumoured to play on 19 & 20 July. http://www.amsterdamarena.nl/index.php?pointer=1-2-383-395-1093-2832

A rough translation of this link is:
U2 not on tour

11 March 2002
This morning the promotor MOJO updated us with the news that the planned concerts of U2 in the Amsterdam Arena on 19 & 20 July will NOT go on. MOJO Concerts gave as a reason for this disappointing news that the band has decided not to tour this Summer. After their concerts in the US they want to close the Elevation Tour and use the opportunity to have a long holiday.

So it seems as if there will not be a European tour after all. Hopefully they will continue working on that new album...

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

I must say I'm kind of glad to see them take a little time off.. I"m really looking forward to the new album. I am a little sad that I'm actually going to Europe this summer, and they canceled the tour though. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Interesting.. this will be odd to watch what will happen now.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Well if that means they are working on a new album, then I'm not unhappy.

I just read an article on youtwo.net that they are not going to tour this summer. Maybe they will put out an album around Xmas instead. I think that's a good idea if they stay out of the public eye for the next 8 months.

So now you all believe the rumour but refused to believe the news I gave you all on Friday. Interesting...

Props Angel, I was a skeptic. But this news from an organization that would know makes it more believable and we actually have the name of a source. So obviously your person was in the know on this one as well. It is very surprising though but not shocking.

I'am actually kind of glad they are not touring (sorry Euro fans). As pointed out, I would rather they work on the new album and tour again when they have a new album out.

I think this basically means we will get a new album and world tour more quickly now than we would have previously. I think 2003 could be another U2 year with a new album and tour. I think the album could be out in spring 2003 and a tour to follow in Summer/fall 2003. I think we will definately see a new album in 2003 now, when in 2003 and when will the tour start is the big question.

I didn't want what I posted on Friday to be true, but I believe in the guys and support their decisions. It's like you said sula - if it means a new album! This can't be a bad thing. = new songs to tour!
biggrin.gif

A new album more quickly is NEVER a bad thing!
smile.gif
(unless it is Zooropa
wink.gif
) j.k.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-11-2002).]

Well if that means they are working on a new album, then I'm not unhappy.

If no_tour == new_album
{ happy = happy * -1 };

I had to do it. Sorry sulawesigirl4, I just found it funny how you said it. Instead of saying "then I'm happy", you said "then I'm not Unhappy". You were negating a negative value!!! Anyways, doubt anybody will get this.

I'm glad they're not touring, I'm sad for our European fans, but it's time for them to get out of the spot light.

Did they decide this because Oasis said no to touring with them? A 8-12 month break will be great, plus the more time they work on the album, the a higher then chances it will be masterpiece.

Originally posted by Angel:
So now you all believe the rumour but refused to believe the news I gave you all on Friday. Interesting...

Sorry Angel.. like others have said, I was skeptical as well. But this definitely confirms it, I suppose.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by Seconds:
If no_tour == new_album
{ happy = happy * -1 };

I had to do it. Sorry sulawesigirl4, I just found it funny how you said it. Instead of saying "then I'm happy", you said "then I'm not Unhappy". You were negating a negative value!!! Anyways, doubt anybody will get this.

lol. I'll be sure to check the math next time.
tongue.gif

Actually, I said exactly what I intended. I'm not particularly happy...but yet I'm also not unhappy. No active dislike, in other words. Make sense?
biggrin.gif

I'm not that disappointed about the band not touring Europe
I always feared Angel was right and I prefer a new album myself

I do have to say though that I think it's a total disgrace that the band only focussed on meeting the needs of one market
this has by no means be a world tour
the band let down fans all over the world

during every show of the Elevation tour in Europe (at least in Holland) Bono talked how proud he was about the way the POPMart tour was received here (Holland being the first shows the band did after touring the US)

in retrospect maybe the press around here should also have blasted POPMart so that they would also have felt the need to prove they still are the best band around (and they are by far) over here too

it's all just a bit disappointing

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 03-11-2002).]

Originally posted by Salome:
I do have to say though that I think it's a total disgrace that the band only focussed on meeting the needs of one market
this has by no means be a world tour
the band let down fans all over the world

I have to agree Salome. I was really shocked that they chose to go back to the US in the fall. But maybe with the coming of a new album and a new tour, they'll make things right. Starting in Europe, and continuing on through Australia. We in NA never got a piece of the Zooropa pie, so it looks like things could follow the same...

Being half Dutch, I have wanted to see U2 in Holland for AGES. This summer I was finally going to come back to Holland, stuff myself with poffertjes (sp??) and see U2. How TOTALLY depressing.
frown.gif

But all asside from my own selfish miseries, I agree with Salome, they really short changed the fans in the rest of the world. I hope they rectify this next time.

I would say it is more likely they would start the next tour in S. America (or Australia if it is financially feasible at the time). U2 have not started a tour in Europe since the War tour. I think they like to be fairly well rehearsed and rolling before they play Europe.

I dont want to even be near this board if they start the next tour in the U.S. That will get ugly!

I dont think the U.S. will get Zooroped again. That tour was less than a year after they had been in the U.S. With the way the scheduling seems to be unfolding it will be at least 2 years (or close to that) since U2's last show in the N. America by the time they hit the road again. If the new album is any kind of hit here, they will definately do shows here. N. America is the biggest market, that is why we see so much exposure and why there can be so much backlash also. The tour that is killer for me as an American was the Lovetown tour. I would have LOVED to have seen that tour.

I would agree that certain areas of Europe were grossly underplayed. Certainly Italy and Holland were short changed, two major U2 markets. But some markets actually did see quite a bit of exposure. The UK and Ireland were actually covered fairly well, 10 shows in the UK and two festival shows in Ireland is quite a bit. I know they could have played more in these regions easily but its not like they simply played 1 show and that was it (like Italy). I really think they did that because they WERE planning on coming back this summer. Obviously they just changed their minds. My guess is that it really has something to do with how well the recording is going right now and they dont want to stop that to rehearse and then tour.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-11-2002).]

Originally posted by Blue Room:
With the way the scheduling seems to be unfolding it will be at least 2 years (or close to that) since U2's last show in the N. America by the time they hit the road again.

You really think that long? I dunno, but I figure a new album this fall (2002) with a new tour to follow spring/summer (2003). Where the tour will start U2 only know... but if they choose to go back to NA, I'd say they'd do it in the fall (2003) or following winter/spring (2004). So more like 1 1/2 yrs.

I would just like to add in support of under played markets that Canada is indeed a seperate country from the US and a mighty large one at that. Albeit our population is not extraordinary, we were severely underplayed and most of the country did not benefit at all from the 3rd leg. And against popular opinion, shows in the States are not that close for us to travel to, especially if you live the pacific northwest where we got royally screwed.
Sorry, but I just wanted to add my two cents about living in an underplayed market.

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 03-11-2002).]

"I would just like to add in support of under played markets that Canada is indeed a seperate country from the US and a mightly large one at that. Albeit our population is not extraordinary, we were severely underplayed and most of the country did not benefit at all from the 3rd leg. And against popular opinion, shows in the States are not that close for us to travel to, especially if you live the pacific northwest where we got royally screwed.
Sorry, but I just wanted to add my two cents about living in an underplayed market"

You could count the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. also then, not just Canada.

I think they probebly should have played 2 shows in Vancouver on the 1st leg but other than that, considering how ticket sales went, they covered that region pretty well considering the population and market. Tacoma and Portland were very slow sellers on the first leg.

there probably are 10 (or even more) very good reasons for the band not to tour right now (though overexposure definitely isn't one of them
U2 exposure over here has been minimal the last 4 months)

none of those reasons will change anything about the sloppy way the band has treated its fans (Europe got the 2nd best deal, hell we were the only ones to even get a deal) outside the US

You know, this is the first U2 tour EVER where Europe was grossly underplayed. EVERY other region in the world has had it happen to them including the U.S. before. So, it stinks for you, but take a look at the big picture.

I'am sure all of this will be made up for the next time U2 tours. If you want to feel sorry for a group of fans it should be the S. American and Australian fans. They got nothing.

I wasn't aware that U2 owed us anything.

I am not saying U2 owe us anything, I was just saying I can relate to living in an area that doesn't get played much.

And I agree Blue Room, you can definately count in all of the Pacific Northwest (US and Canada.) Just 'cause perhaps the markets not there, doesn't mean it doesn't suck any less.

Back
Top Bottom