U2/my life, your life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey

The Fly
I was watching slane this evening, for what was probably the 50th time, but this time with my mum, who, though certainly familiar with hearing U2 blaring in the house over the years, has never been a U2 lover. They write good love songs for her.

So, I was pointing out the best bits to her:
When Bono introduces the band during "out of control"
When Bono starts off "kite"
New Years day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The interaction U2 has with it's fans

...and it dawned upon me sometime later.

U2 isn't just a fantastic band. They're my heros. They're everything right about life and never once have they put me into a position to question whether they were "real". By real, I mean, they aren't rockstars or icons who live in a world which I could never reach. They live in my life, our lives. It might be odd to feel like this about U2 who don't even know of my existence, but I'm proud of the band. Their successes are my successes.

What I have come to love about U2 is that I relate to them. Edge would just as likely choose the very same t-shirt that I, or anybody I know, would choose in a store. Larry, well he's got his good and bad days just like me. Adam, he's "normal" like my economics schoolteacher Mr. Quartermain, and bono, what can I say about him? He's that guy in my school who never stopped believing and made it on his own terms. I love them, I'm inspired by them, and I certainly do cherish them.

I believe they've fought for causes in a healthy manner, they're the biggest non-radio friendly band on the planet, changed the world, they've stuck together and managed their egos, never forgotten what it was like to be one of us.

they're my heros, especially so in a time when it's oh so very easy to be cynical, what with societal schisms pulling me this way and that. There isn't much good left to believe in, or pure motive, but U2, well, they're my life, and going through some of these posts, probably a large part of yours.

Oh, the music they put together isn't half bad either. Just ask my mum.

I :heart: the post! It's exactly how I feel about U2 and no matter how many people don't get "it", I'll always be happy because I can come on here and see how many people do get "it" and love U2 as much or more than I do.

Your post is AWESOME.... There are tons who feel the same way!!! (too bad no one in my house does) They are an amazing group of guys! :heart:

the best part about this is really the feeling that I am not alone in this. Running the risk of repeating exactly what Sunbloc said (only using 2000 words), it is fantastic and great to bear witness to others who don't just love their music, but their very fiber. they really are champions to me.

I thank you for this, I thank all of you.

couldn't sleep last night for the next u2 album weighs heavily on my mind,,

i dreamt they went into a hip/r'n'b direction,,,,,the much taunted trip hop era that the pop years promised

nice post.
I understand what u say -- I have some friends, also good ones, that really don't like U2 or seem to have some troubles with Bono...
I am keeping the friendships -- simply not talking about U2 ;)
I like them sooo much; they've been sort of company and counsellor all the time I felt in need. And I am so happy because I consider them my key to the world -- for instance: they were the one to introduce me to Amnesty -- and now I volunteer regularly for that organisation.

Others may like them or not -- but they'll always be special artists for me.

Great piece, Mickey. Full of emotions and feelings.
I'm a huge U2 fan, I am grown up with their music. In the 80's ,when I was a little baby boy, my older brother and my cousins used to listen to U2 the whole time. So, I'm grown up really with them, Sunday Bloody Sunday was the hit I was listening to when I was just 4 years old. It's about 20 years that I'm in love with U2's music. In spite of this, I don't consider U2 my life, definitely not. There are so much important things in the everyday life (spiritual life, too), that just don't allow me to consider U2 my life. God is my life, my father, my mother, my brother, the rest of my family, my girlfriend, my best friend...........................my own life is my life.............................................U2 are surely part of my life, I have almost a parallell growth with their career, when Boy came out I came out from my mother, too, but they're just a music band (although the most important), they have their lives, too, they have their families, they have their job as great artists that allows them to be big communicators. But claiming them as my life, would mean to put them in the same place with my father, for example, and this would be a bit exaggerate. I consider them as good friends, truly friends, but not my life.

Back
Top Bottom