U2 musical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theFly51

New Yorker
I was thinking about this the other day and I was wondering, U2 is the most famous band on earth since the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and I got to thinking, do you think they'll make a musical about them and will it be as good as Across the Universe? What will it be about? What part of their career will they focus on? Do you think they should even make one?

Ah, you're assuming Across the Universe was good. :wink:

I'm only half-kidding. I didn't think it was terrible, but it struck me more as an excuse to throw a bunch of Beatles song into a movie and try to be all arty about it.

In general, I don't think musicals (movie or stage) based on a rock band are a good idea. Something that lends itself to being less serious, like "Mamma Mia" with Abba's music, works well.

It all would depend on the approach the director or creator took, but I think it would be hard to do well, to do something that wouldn't lead to cringe-worthiness and unintentional laughter.

damn, I think you're thinking a little too far ahead of time haha...

I have a feeling one will eventually be made, although I hope not...U2's music just doesn't fit for that kind of production

oh my.... i think that it would be mortifying if they did. i might forever have nightmares. plus, do you really think that Larry would agree to something like that!:)

im not saying right now that there should be one but eventually there will probably be one towards the end of their career or long afterwards but who knows :|

They should do a U2/ Wizard of Oz musical...

Bono would be the Tinman looking for his heart - because of the irony:wink:
Larry would be the Lion looking for courage - he's the least adventerous.
Edge would be the scarecrow - well because he could still wear a hat.
Adam would be Dorthy - he looks the best in drag.

Paul would be the man behind the curtain.

The Wizard of Zooropa - it would have song and themes that spanned their whole career.

The yellow brick road would be paved with lemons. The red ruby slippers would be MacPhisto's gold platform shoes. The lollipop kids would be replaced by the dwarf from the AIWIY video and he'll be singing 'Elvis ate America'. Their destination the City of Blinding Lights. On their journey there they would get lost Where the Streets Have No Name, stumble upon a fallen Joshua Tree, and heards of falling buffalos, and so many other adventures.

They could swing around a flying saucer by a string, and Edge could emerge from it to teach the earth about his native Venusian Rock N' Roll™. :drool:

i wouldn't mind if Bono is assassinated and Edge dies of lung cancer, Brian Eno and his son decided to remix highlights of U2's entire discography for use in a Cirque de Soleil show.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this because I had an epiphany while cleaning my kitchen.

A U2 music-based musical could definitely work. But you'd have to think about how best to do it. Across the Universe created a love story spanning music from The Beatles' entire career. But you could almost create an equally entertaining story from a single U2 album... because Achtung Baby already tells a story :wink:

Picture it: Berlin 1990, the world has just changed, and our main character is changing with it. He wants to go out and see this new world, spend the night partying, and is so intent on this new freedom, that he doesn't care if he leaves his wife at home.
So we open with a train pulling out of a Berlin station and headed toward... you guessed it, Zoo Station, with the guy on board singing about everything what a good time he's gonna have tonight.

Yeah, you get the picture.

I think I'll go write it (anyone wanna be my co-writer? :tongue: ) and then I can go find Wim Wenders and make him direct it :)

corianderstem said:
Ah, you're assuming Across the Universe was good. :wink:

I'm only half-kidding. I didn't think it was terrible, but it struck me more as an excuse to throw a bunch of Beatles song into a movie and try to be all arty about it.

"Where'd she come from?"

"Oh, she came in through the bathroom window."

You hit it right on the head.

Dear Prudence was completely murdered, too. Part of me died inside.

A U2 musical would be even worse methinks. A lame biopic... maybe, but not a full-on musical.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
They should do a U2/ Wizard of Oz musical...

Bono would be the Tinman looking for his heart - because of the irony:wink:
Larry would be the Lion looking for courage - he's the least adventerous.
Edge would be the scarecrow - well because he could still wear a hat.
Adam would be Dorthy - he looks the best in drag.

Paul would be the man behind the curtain.

The Wizard of Zooropa - it would have song and themes that spanned their whole career.

The yellow brick road would be paved with lemons. The red ruby slippers would be MacPhisto's gold platform shoes. The lollipop kids would be replaced by the dwarf from the AIWIY video and he'll be singing 'Elvis ate America'. Their destination the City of Blinding Lights. On their journey there they would get lost Where the Streets Have No Name, stumble upon a fallen Joshua Tree, and heards of falling buffalos, and so many other adventures.

The Wizard would arrive by Mirror Lemon rather than a hot air balloon.

As much as I'd argue that The Beatles music was taken too literally oftentimes in Across the Universe, U2's music is much more interpretable, and visually mysterious to lend itself to direct translations, with some exceptions obviously. But for me the beauty of U2 music is its evocative yet mysterious poetry, so as bad as some of the ideas in ATU were (although I did enjoy it as a giant music video), a U2 one would work even worse.

Back
Top Bottom