U2 Multitracks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:

There is literally one of the dumbest things I've heard of and can't see anyone except the one off contest or something like said above. [/B]
Except it's not a one off contest... it's thriving fan community.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
You just don't get it.

I don't understand you and I don't have to.

It's clear (outside your world) that the multitrack fever is spreading to all music forums and music fans.

Whether are you in or not, it's your problem. But don't tell me what is dumb and what not. I'm not alone with this.

Why on earth 15,000 + Queen fans have right now the "dumb" Bo Rhap multitracks.

Why on earth thousands are trying to get them ASAP?.

What if U2 decided to release multitracks?. Will still be "dumb"?

Of course fans want them. Fans want everything(and usually for free). They want DVDs from every show, signed by the band, and shrink wrapped in the lead singers underwear. It doesn't mean that's what artist should be doing.

I understand that tons of fans want this, what's dumb is that they EXPECT it to be released by the artist.

You still haven't answered the question, why would the artist do this? You are only concerned about the fans perspective.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by pacemaker

Except it's not a one off contest... it's thriving fan community.
Reread my post. I'm obviously talking about the artist. You won't find many artist in their right mind that would release their multitracks with the exception of a one off contest or so.

So, no it's not a thriving community of artist that will be this dumb.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #19
War Child

I find it really hard to believe that you can take this "dumb" stance and be so serious about it. I understand not getting why fans think bands should cater to them in releasing these things. But to be honest, you're just being a downright stubborn dick about this all.

Who pissed in your cereal? People want multi tracks because they're passionate about the music and want to delve deeper into the process of creation. Isolating the harmonica track(s) on RTSS so you can hear Bono's breaths might really fascinate people.

I suppose releasing the Classic Albums Joshua Tree DVD, and others like it, is all for naught because its dumb of a band to give fans a glimpse of the way they work in the studio?

I'm surprised a musician as talented as you are, in the utter-fucking-crumbling industry that you're a part of, is opposed to new ideas when it comes to releasing music. I hope one day if you have fans as passionate about your music as U2, Queen, Peter Gabriel and Nine Inch Nails do, that you'll consider giving them something special from time to time, even if its as "dumb" as releasing multi track sessions of your songs.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I find it really hard to believe that you can take this "dumb" stance and be so serious about it. I understand not getting why fans think bands should cater to them in releasing these things. But to be honest, you're just being a downright stubborn dick about this all.
I'm sorry that you keep ignoring my point, but it's no reason to get personal.

Quote:

Who pissed in your cereal? People want multi tracks because they're passionate about the music and want to delve deeper into the process of creation. Isolating the harmonica track(s) on RTSS so you can hear Bono's breaths might really fascinate people.
Reread my post again, because honestly you keep ignoring my point. I understand WHY fans would like them. But I have an even greater understanding of WHY this is a nightmare to most artists.

Quote:

I suppose releasing the Classic Albums Joshua Tree DVD, and others like it, is all for naught because its dumb of a band to give fans a glimpse of the way they work in the studio?
I'm all for giving fans a glimpse into the studio, hell give them 24 hour webcam access, that's cool with me.

I'm not going to even touch the last part of your post for it's obvious to everyone that you don't get the point.

You don't release your multitracks, because you mixed and mastered for hours and hours in order for the public to hear it a certain way. Once you release your multitracks all that work is useless. You've open the door for anyone with a computer to remix your work, to remaster your work, so the internet and radiowaves are full with shit versions of your songs, but the majority of them will be out there with your name on it. If you access to the multitracks you could slightly remix and remaster any song of your choice, now what to stop radio from playing what the band thinks is a crap version?

The legal issues alone are an entirely different ballpark.

Believe me, most want multitracks so they can remix their fave songs not to hear a harmonica singled out.

Plus there will be hundreds of artists that would never want their music heard in it's rawest form, they don't want their mistakes amplified.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand, this has nothing to do with not understanding fans wants, this has to do with the artist and the last few things they actually own.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #21
War Child

Ok, ok. I get it now. I was just kind of flabbergasted that you were reacting so strongly in previous posts, which caused me to react strongly. I apologize.

Quote:
this has to do with the artist and the last few things they actually own.
BUT, you are mistaken if you think most artists actually own their masters. I would love to live in a world, as a musician, where I was comfortable in knowing that I owned and had the rights to everything I released. Although, with the industry as it is, maybe this will be the case in the coming years.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:

you are mistaken if you think most artists actually own their masters.
Most don't. U2 does.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

BUT, you are mistaken if you think most artists actually own their masters. I would love to live in a world, as a musician, where I was comfortable in knowing that I owned and had the rights to everything I released. Although, with the industry as it is, maybe this will be the case in the coming years.
Which would make such a move as releasing multitracks even worse.

Hopefully now you understand a little bit as to why I react so strongly. No fan would ever expect movie makers to release their footage unedited so you can remake the movie, no one would ever expect for Nestle to release their recipes... Yet now fans are expecting, even in some cases degrading the artists for not releasing their art this way?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #24
War Child

I do see it possibly "thriving" as a niche kind of thing... if niche sorts of things can "thrive".

Like I said, along the lines of people isolating certain tracks to see if they can pick out room ambiance, breathing noises, what have you. Most likely audiophiles who have high end systems, or for schools for educational purposes. I went to Northeastern and majored in Music Industry, and I KNOW some of my Professors would kill to have access to these.

As a business move, it would make no sense to market it to the casual listener. But I do think that people who are really passionate about the process might be willing to pay a premium to get their hands on multi-tracks.

What would REALLY interest me is multi-tracks of Hum or My Bloody Valentine albums to... erm... study, I suppose, all of the different tracks of guitar and pick out performance nuances and the like.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Well of course, it would be incredible to hear these things, it would just be a legal and artistic nightmare for so many bands. I guess the only way I could see it being done is if there was someway to make the tracks unable to reproduce, which to my knowledge is impossible, unless they placed a click track of some sort and that would just be annoying.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I guess the only way I could see it being done is if there was someway to make the tracks unable to reproduce
SACD?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine

SACD?
Isn't there a way to compress SACD down to mp3? I didn't get into SACD because it was so limited I wouldn't be able to play it in my car or iPod, and then someone recently told me there is a way to compress it down to mp3...
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 12:41 AM
I was thinking on Hybrid SACD. The "red book" layer an be played on any CD player, has more capacity than a standard CD and apparently it's impossible to copy.

Surely some signals of the SACD can be copied, but people can't make SACDs at home. At most, they can copy the "CD" portion only, not the multichannel or the 5.1

Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You don't release your multitracks, because you mixed and mastered for hours and hours in order for the public to hear it a certain way. Once you release your multitracks all that work is useless. You've open the door for anyone with a computer to remix your work, to remaster your work, so the internet and radiowaves are full with shit versions of your songs, but the majority of them will be out there with your name on it. If you access to the multitracks you could slightly remix and remaster any song of your choice, now what to stop radio from playing what the band thinks is a crap version?
Even though I would love to have this multitracks and edit them my own way I agree with what you say. They spend far too much time writing, arranging and then mixing the songs the way they think they should be heard. After all they wrote it, they own it and also they are trusted upon their capacities as artists (by each band's fans) to give us the best version of the songs they have written themselves so why would they want something that they might hate out there with their own name on. Undoubtly some people would at some point start downloading someone else’s mix thinking it's the band's version. And that would suck. I wouldn't like that either.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #30
War Child

I was thinking that Flash applications for each song's multi track would be cool. But obviously, it's easy as pie to rip audio from such.