U2 Middle 8's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I often find the Middle 8 to be the most intriguing part of a song structure....in my mind, a good Middle 8 is one that takes the listener on a little side journey in the middle of a song that, when completed, makes you appreciate the song as a whole even more, and one whose transitions from and back into the rest of the song are smooth. There can be vocals or it can be instrumental, it doesn't matter. I think a Middle 8 can sometimes be a gauge as to the quality of the rest of the song. A great middle 8 probably makes its home in a great song.

So, what are favorite U2 Middle 8's? I think they've made some great ones?

Here are mine, in no particular oder:

1. Song: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Middle 8: From 'Ah, the deeper I spin' to 'Come on now love, don't you look back'

Comment: This is quite possibly my favorite middle 8 ever. I think it's just gorgeous. It's different from the rest of the song but it transitions very smoothly and makes the song 1000 times better than it would have been without it. This middle 8 alone would be a great, great song.

2. Song: Numb

Middle 8: The instrumental segment between 'Have another grape' and 'Don't plead' - the spot in the video where Edge is offscreen.

Comment: This is one of the most other-worldly moments in the entire U2 catalog. It literally makes me feel like I'm in another world sometimes. It really brings out the brilliance of the whole song.

3. Song: Beautiful Day

Middle 8: From 'See the world in green and blue' to 'after the flood all the colours came out'.

Comment: This is just fun to sing. It's unique, it's fresh. It's this kind of thing that separates a great song like this from a song like Miracle Drug.

4. Song: Walk On

Middle 8: The solo and the 'Home' verses.

Comment: I have always thought that the 'Home' verses were home(pun intended) to one of the prettiest melodies U2 have written, and they take the song to another level. It is the absence of these verses that, imo, makes the single mix inferior. One of the brightest moments on ATYCLB.

5. Song: Gone

Middle 8: From 'Cause I'm already gone' to 'I didn't want it that much anyway'(and really the verse following it even though it isn't technically part of the middle 8).

Comment: It's short, but this middle 8 makes up for what misses in length with it's depth. With many layers of instrumentation as well as haunting background vocals from Edge, this is one of the most chill-inducing moments on Pop.

6. Song: New Year's Day

Middle 8: The keyboard solo followed by the guitar solo, between the second chorus and the fade out chorus(on the best of and live versions).

Comments: Does this really need an explanation? It's legendary, one of Edge's finest moments EVER!

7. Song: Until The End Of The World

Middle 8: The guitar solo between the second and third verses, followed by Bono's 'no no no, no no, no no no no'.

Comment: The hight point of UTEOTW for me, and that's saying something since the whole song is amazing. Just sonic bliss.

8. Song: The Unforgettable Fire

Middle 8: The instrumentation between 'Come on take me home, home again' and 'And if the mountains should crumble'.

Comment: This is absolutely brilliant. Some of the most mature instrumental sections in all of U2's catalog. Totally un-pop, totally unconcerned about being on the radio. Going smoothly from rustic rhythmic POW to beautiful harmony and back again and back again. It's just pure art. It's a mindfuck. One of the best.

9. Song: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Middle 8: The instrumentation between the second and third verses.

Comment: This has a sort of subtle brilliance to it - it falls into that category Bono once described - it sounds normal to you but only because you've heard it so many times - it didn't sound normal in 1987. It's just a couple guitar parts playing together, but it's great.

10.Song: Gloria

Middle 8: Larry, Edge, and Adam taking turns playing short solos between the second chorus and the fade out chorus.

Comment: Second best Middle 8 of the first three records, second only to NYD. It builds up to the explosion of the final chorus very nicely and is especially effective live.

11. Song: When I Look At The World

Middle 8: The guitar solo after the second chorus, and Bono's 'I can't wait any longer/I can't wait 'till I'm stronger' lines.

Comment: Edge's best and most creative guitar solo of this decade so far mixed with this particlar Bono vocal create perhaps the most chill-inducing 50 seconds on ATYCLB, and perhaps of anything U2 have done this decade so far(ok I know many will disagree with that). I just love it. It's beautiful.

12. Song: Lemon

Middle 8: The 'Midnight is where the day begins' verse(s).

Comments: One of the coolest single lines of lyrics Bono has ever put to a record combined with one of the most other worldly musical tracks U2 have ever put to record makes one hell of a middle 8.

13. Song: The Fly

Middle 8: The awe-inducing, chill-inducing Edge solo between the second and third choruses.

Comment: Seriously, do I need to say anything? Anything at all? That's what I thought.

14. Song: Mysterious Ways

Middle 8: The solo of pure funk after the second chorus, and the 'One day you'll look back' to 'Follow this feeling' verse that follows it.

Comment: This just gets your heart racing, and is the highlight of any live performance of this song. Bono's vocal delivery is perfect and plays of Edge and Adam PERFECTLY. It just sounds effortless. The kind of innovative and fresh experimentation with 'sound' that the band should get back to.

15. Song: Discotheque

Middle 8: The instrumentation accompanied by Bono's trademark howls after the first and second choruses.

Comment: I just always thought this a really cool combination of sounds, and a classic example of U2 applying a totally fresh twist to a classic U2 sound.

16. Song: I Will Follow

Middle 8: The 'Your eyes make a circle' verse after the second chorus.

Comment: A highlight of the Boy album, and the third best Middle 8 of the first three albums, behind NYD and Gloria. Establishes a middle-of-song sound that they would use many times, most recently in Vertigo. Except that this is better than Vertigo imo.

That's all for now.

Your turn!

Last edited:
i love the bridge in 'trying to throw your arms around the world'...specifically when they played it live. larry and the edge landing heavily on the chord changes, like fireworks exploding and lighting up the song. they played it so well together, and it's so simple...i'll always love those chord changes!
that's the first one that sprung to mind...

OMG!! the BEST one is God Part II, during the verse "don't believe in goldman...." during the guitar "flange" part. From 1:59-2:21 (Flanger is the "metallic" guitar effect.)

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:
This is a great topic! The first song I thought of was WGRYWW and then I noticed that is number one on Ruckman's list. I am glad that someone agrees. I will have to think of some other ones now.

you hit most of them on the head... i must admit though, I don't find the middle 8s so much as the best part of the song, BUT they are vital in leading to a great climax in the song (like Gone, etc.)

When I Look At The World is a great middle 8 sound though. The Fly might be the best of them as well...

U2 does the best middle 8's!!! Honestly! It's always a diferent vocal and guitar melody. And they do a lot of them!! It adds so much to the songs, makes them richer and more interesting! I'll think about my top 10 favorites but I tell you that the alrights/hey baby on Zoo Station is number 1 for me. That's just too cool! I LOOOOOVE it! :drool:

Last edited:
When I Look At The World & Mysterious Ways for me........

Though Beautiful Day is amazing...check out the bootleg of one of the Paris Vertigo's for a good one of these!

namkcuR said:

1. Song: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
2. Song: Numb
8. Song: The Unforgettable Fire
11. Song: When I Look At The World
12. Song: Lemon
15. Song: Discotheque

These are my favourites! I love them to bits, especially numbers 2,8 and 11.

Numb's a really weird one, I always enjoyed it but it took me 2-3 years to fully appreciate it. The little lead bit is awesome but without the backing notes from the bass it would be nothing! Perfect stuff.

The Unforgettable Fire is just plain awesome, nothing else to say!

When I Look at the World has to be one of my favourites simply because it's one of the greatest parts of any U2 song. Vastly underrated track and a great echoey guitar solo!

Dischotheque - WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE FIRST MIDDLE 8 ON THE NEW MIX?! Complete WASTE. The way the guitar and bass went together was fantastic, the second one is nowhere near as good!

Great thread, namkcuR! :yes:

You've really hit it on the head & have listed so many of the great ones!

Thanks Namkcur ! Feel like my eyes are open a little wider now!

Totally agree with your list!!!! I have to say that I love WGRYWH!!!! and of the the unforgettable fire:drool:

it just came to me -
MIRACLE DRUG
it's tough to lift a song like that even higher after that chorus, but the edge's guitar solo is corking, and that whole lyric he sings, it just sets the whole song up or the big ending. one of my favorite songs, and that part is a large reason for it.

Awesome original post! :applaud:

Numb is my favorite of the lot! esp. with the blank screen in the video! so unique, so crazy, so cool!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

in terms of how it sets off the song, Horses is the best one.

The bridge/middle 8 in Native Son is killer as well.
Don't care that much for Vertigo's, drags the song down, should have kept the music the same at least.

Zootlesque said:
Awesome original post! :applaud:

Numb is my favorite of the lot! esp. with the blank screen in the video! so unique, so crazy, so cool!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

that would be my vote as well..
I love the blank screen... its so un-mtv etc...

geez... i don't know if i can contribute here... i think you covered all the good ones. i especially agree with WGRYWW, a song that is growing on me.

what about one? the part where he sings "love is a temple... "?

or... please? the part where he sings the lyrics "October, talk getting nowhere... "? musically, maybe not so dynamic, but i love those lyrics... something about the way he lists off the months really builds up the song.

No one has mentioned HMTMKMKM yet?

"You're turning tricks with your crucifix, you're a star..."

:drool:

Ok. I guess I'll be the idiot who comes out and says it...what the fuck is a middle 8!?:scratch:

salim117 said:
Ok. I guess I'll be the idiot who comes out and says it...what the fuck is a middle 8!?:scratch:

The best way to describe it (I think) is the part of the song about 2/3 to 3/4 the way through where the song changes and sounds quite different to the rest.

The best example is the "I see the world in green and blue......" part of Beautiful Day.

After this, the song comes back in (generally as it sounded before).

thelaj said:

The best way to describe it (I think) is the part of the song about 2/3 to 3/4 the way through where the song changes and sounds quite different to the rest.

The best example is the "I see the world in green and blue......" part of Beautiful Day.

After this, the song comes back in (generally as it sounded before).

Got ya! I know exactly what you're talking about!Yea, I love that in songs!

sue4u2 said:

Love you sig salim, and U2 is so good at this that I didn't know it was called a "middle 8". But no worries you are not an idiot, since you are now informed. :yes:

Cheers!

You're sig is prettty cool too! Guess we're both photoshop guys!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom