U2 Makes Memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tranquilfire

The Fly
I started with The Joshua Tree in 1997, which I had ordered off of one of those random "10 CDs for a dollar" mails. Unbeknownst to me, I had already had a slight addiction for the band. When I was little, around '88-'93, I had heard a song called Sunday Bloody Sunday on the classic rock station my dad always listened to. I had always wondered who this U2 was. Well, in '97, when I was capable enough to buy my own CDs, and got The Joshua Tree.

I was blown away! With or Without You became my first favorite, then Where the Streets Have No Name, and then I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for became my all-time favorite, to this day. That song came at a point where I was totally in love with this girl in high school, and it was one of the only things that got me through.

For Christmas I got Pop from my sister. To this day, it's probably my 3rd favorite album, after The Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby. Discotheque, Gone, Miami, and If You Wear That Velvet Dress still drive me today, even though I must be the only one in the world who thinks Miami rocks the Kasbah!

I got War on a Christmas return (not Pop, of course!). It reminds me, more than anything, than the times I went fishing with my grandpa. Drowning Man gave me nothing but hope for more U2 albums.

And Achtung Baby came at time when my high school basketball career was at its peak. Until the End of the World, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, and Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World (another very underrated song) got me through some long bus rides.

The Unforgettable Fire, my undeniable favorite, still blows my mind. Edge's guitar work is impeccable, filling all corners of the room with his echo-delay that is probably the number one reason I love U2.

So what's the point of this little jaunt down memory lane? I've been a huge U2 fan based on The Joshua Tree and propelled by Pop. At no time did I ever dislike Pop or think it was a weak album. The point is, any age can enjoy U2 at any time of their career. I'm as excited for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb as I was for All That You Can't Leave Behind, because each album has a memory associated with each one, and that's the power of music, especially U2's music. There are two things I've always had since that fateful day in 1997 when I got The Joshua Tree: a wad of chewing gum in my mouth and a U2 song in my head.

Nice :up:

Although your Miami fandom may make make a few cringe (I dont know why, I like Miami going with GTA Vice City, oh well).

Its great to have all these people come in and inject the forum with life again. Its all dynamic and cool, I like it a lot.

U2 has helped to give me a lifetime of BEAUTIFUL memories - for more than 23 years (almost half my life) I have been SURROUNDED BY THEIR EXTRAORDINARY MUSIC and magical lives!:wink:

U2 has gotten me through the down times and given me hope to walk on to the good times. They have inspired me to be a better person - more patient, tolerant and forgiving with others and myself.

U2 has given me MANY GLORIOUS MEMORIES - and for that, I will always be grateful. :hug:

Thanks for sharing your memories, Tranquilfire. It would be noce to hear others' memories of U2 and of their importance in their lives.

I WILL FOLLOW....:larry: :adam: :edge: :bono: :love:

YAY! after a few too many negative and bashign threads, i'm so glad someone has come in and reminded me about the good stuff again.
i mean, thats what its all about isnt it? the music the memories and all the thigns we love about U2.

I'm loaded with memories that are triggered by U2 songs, some happy, some not, but important none the less. U2 havent released an album since i left south africa (i emigrated to london 3 years ago) so all the songs are related to things back there, friends or moments in time - screaming down the highway with Streets blaring in my car with my mates on my way to my only U2 concert and waving and yelling at fans as we went past or sitting in the same bar a few nights after i met bono listening to WOWY. in fact when i think of south africa theres a single moment that comes into my head - sitting in traffic on the hottest most unbelievably gorgeous day in my favourite part of town, on my way to the beach, i got the windows open and a cold coke (i'm a junkie for the stuff!) and just perfectly content and happy when Beautiful Day comes on the radio - it just made it for me, it was the single most perfect moment and a perfect memory of a place i love and miss.

so thats what its all about for me, its the way the music makes me feel, the way it, and the band itself, inspire me pretty much on a daily basis.

if that isn't good enough for some people than i dotn know what, but its more than good enough for me, and i'm eternally grateful.

Their music will always be a part of me.

I started listening to U2 after being introduced to them by my brother and his love of "College radio" as it was called at the time.

I have now been an avid fan for about 15 years. Their music can suit any mood i'm in. If I'm sad, happy, angry, or just want to groove.

It has helped me deal with probably the worst time in my life, loosing a friend in the WTC. I remember that day Walk On was the first song I listened to in the car b/c I couldn't bear to listen to the news anymore.. It truly spoke to me. I will never forget that about their music. I think back on the last leg of the Elevation tour. I remember standing there first in tears and then laughing and smiling... A band that can envoke that kind of emotion is so rare.

I just think its a very special thing to find music or art or whatever it might be in your life that can speak to you so much.

A_Wanderer said:
Nice :up:

Although your Miami fandom may make make a few cringe (I dont know why, I like Miami going with GTA Vice City, oh well).

Its great to have all these people come in and inject the forum with life again. Its all dynamic and cool, I like it a lot.

only problem with miami is the dolphins

*waits for rafmed to post*

Im with you, tranquilfire. Its like its more than music, Ive grown up on u2 and its a part of my life. Reading this thread made my reminisce of how I got all the u2 albums and how I felt after getting into them. :up:

Back
Top Bottom