U2, Madonna, Led Zeppelin in talks for World Peace gigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
OK, this is interesting.. Is this for real or what? World Peace One... Is that a new supporter/ organization, with the ONE campaign? :shrug:

U2, Madonna, Led Zeppelin in talks for World Peace gigs
Justin Timberlake, Aerosmith, ZZ Top also on the cards

Feb 22, 2008

World Peace One is in talks with many of the world’s top acts to stage a series of international concerts to bring peace to the world.

The shows, which are scheduled to kick off May 17 could feature performances from U2, Madonna, Led Zeppelin and Justin Timberlake, among others.

The not-for-profit group is attempting to bring peace through a 10-year campaign via concerts, education and government initiatives, reports , ZZ Top, Lionel Richie, Celine Dion, INXS, Velvet Revolver, , and Timbaland, are among the acts in talks with the organisation, according to the group’s founder Doug Ivanovich.

The concerts will kick off May 17 with shows in Beijing, Istanbul, Turkey, London, Johannesburg; and Miami, as well as the United Arab Emirates, Portugal, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Colombia and India, the report says.

Concert organisers at World Peace One include former executives from Woodstock and Live Earth and the group are currently building relationships with the world’s top promoters to make the shows happen.

--By our New York staff.

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/34616

Last edited:
Did a quick google search of Doug Ivanovich, this is what I found:

http://www.worldpeaceone.com/WP12007/doug.html

parts of his article:

The Prospect of World Peace

The prospect of World Peace is exciting and its promise, inescapable. What greater cause is there than all of us working together for peace, for the sake of the children of the world and for all the world's citizenry? What greater cause is there than to serve that which is grand and noble, and innocent, in the hearts of all people... a cause that in some way finally redeems all of the tragic wars of history, bequeathing a "Legacy of Peace," to present and future generations? We need no apology to justify a declaration of World Peace One. In so doing, we set the stage for the ultimate victory... the lasting peace that has so long eluded humanity. The time has come to put our hearts and souls into our cause. We do not ask that people lay down lives for peace... we are asking people, instead, to live and let live, for peace. Together, there is nothing that we cannot achieve.

Today We Plant Historic Seeds

Today we plant historic seeds, whose harvest will not be denied. Let us rally to this beautiful necessity as we build our engines of peace. It is a heavenly mission we embark upon, bearing the stamp of heaven in our hearts. We find strength in the virtue of our cause and grow stronger each day as we unite. We can bring an end to war. The entire world is waiting. Let us rise up together as if one spirit, to bring about a lasting peace and let us rise up together as if one voice, in our call for an end to war.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
It seems like any time there's a big charity gig/group concert, U2 are rumoured to appear... even if there's no evidence that they have any interest at all :shrug:

Just like almost every other Bono and The Edge/Bono/U2 rumour. How many of those are ever actually accurate?

My cousins brothers former room mate works for these guys and they say U2 (meaning Bono) might be making an appearance.

It's a rehash of an old rumor that first appeared about a year ago.
I don't see this happening. U2 weren't at Live Earth or at the last Mandela concert, I don't think they'll be at this peace show.

I don't think the whole band will perform, they wait with that till the new single is released. Just look in 2004, there werent any full band performence untill Vertigo was released. Doing it that way make it more "look that band is back"...

Peterrrrr said:
I don't think the whole band will perform, they wait with that till the new single is released. Just look in 2004, there werent any full band performence untill Vertigo was released. Doing it that way make it more "look that band is back"...

Let's hope this is not true. Seriously, how is a rock concert supposed to bring peace to the world? How naive... hopefully U2 figured this out, at the latest, at the last Live 8 concerts... what a pile of stinkin' crap.

The reason why Live Earth and the impending World Peace concerts don't work is that there isn't an acutal result afterwards. What are they actually going to achieve afterwards, what is the tangible result i.e. if this was to protest against a war in order to end it, there is a specified focus and an outcome.

Live Aid was aimed towards raising money for Africa, we had a good idea where the funds were going and what kind og things it would pay for.

These concepts for world peace and the envrionment are too big to make a real difference with a bunch of one off concerts, there needs to be a particular aim/objective or desire outcome that can be seen as achievable by people i.e. raising a certain amount of money for a particualr cause in Burma or somewhere.

Everyone cares about the environment to some extent, but the Live Earth concerts were toothless and had no real backbone. People didn't care enough to believe in the cause and there so no quantified outcome to see the benefits of those concerts i.e. were we fully aware of what projects were being funded

Also, the plethora of huge international concerts is starting to water down their importance and as a spectacle for people all over the world.

Well said, England.

However, Live Earth's stated goal was simply to raise "awareness" about global warming, pollution, etc, which it did, at least for a day (until all the reports came out about how large the carbon footprints were for each performer that day).

Meanwhile, these "World Peace" concerts are exactly the type of flowerchild rubbish that U2 despise. I'm sure Madonna and Sheryl Crow and everyone else with a new record will perform. Please, no Zeppelin, ferchrissakes.

Notice how Bruce never participates in these things? He gets his message across through his own concerts, while donating tons of cash to local food banks at every stop in North America. It doesn't stop any wars, but it does feed thousands of families everytime he tours.

U2 are too canny to play along with this softheaded idea.

coolian2 said:

Just like almost every other Bono and The Edge/Bono/U2 rumour. How many of those are ever actually accurate?

My cousins brothers former room mate works for these guys and they say U2 (meaning Bono) might be making an appearance.
I am Bono. I haven't decided yet, Survivor's on that night.

It would be amazing if this was truth but I can't see it happening as we have so many false reports of stuff like that. But it would be a great tour for sure!

Back
Top Bottom