U2: longest running act w/o any alterations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seankirkland

The Fly
I was reading over on U2's listing on Wikipedia, and as I've been wondering for awhile: aren't U2 unique in that they have been a band for nearly 30 years and have NEVER ADDED OR LOST A MEMBER? No other band has done that, to my knowledge. Rolling Stones ("Strolling Bones" no doubt), although they're the longest surviving band today, have had numerous personnel changes in their history.

U2 are THE BEST. Hands down. They play together like a ROCK.

U2girl said:
Do the Eagles have the same line-up all the time or not?

No, they've fired Don Felder, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon. Joe Walsh and Timothy Schmit are new(er) additions. It has always been basically Don and Glenn with a backup band.

What about Aerosmith? Do they still have the original line-up (with the exception of the guitarist leaving for a spell in the 80's and then returning)?

I think REM did until Bill retired.

Hmmm... KISS, ZZTop.... are these guys still "active" in the sense that they are making records, touring, etc.? That's what I mean: U2 are still "going." No breakups, interruptions.......no reunion tours or that bullcrap.

ZZ Top has had the same three members the whole way, continuously making records, touring, etc., so they actually outlast U2 in that sense.

Joe Perry left Aerosmith for a time, and so did Brad Whitford, so for this specific exercise, they don't make it.

R.E.M. indeed was the same throughout until Bill Berry left.

So, ZZ Top are the longest intact performing rock band alive?? Amazing. Not so sure how many people (young) nowadays even know who they are. However, technically, they would qualify as the "winner" of this exercise.

True, REM was in the running until Mr. Berry left.

What about Rush?

mmm... to answer my own question, looks like they had a different drummer for their first album, but that was in 1974(?). So they've had the same line up for 30 years.

Last edited:
However, due to them having a different member for the first album (and it NOT being the acrobatic Neil Peart), they are eliminated from this competition :)

On another note, though, out of all these bands mentioned, U2 blows all of them away, in terms of how they can sell out massive arenas worldwide, sometimes for multiple shows in a row. No other band, be it Rush, ZZTop, or whoever does that. Rolling Stones still bring in big crowds, but they're probably the only ones who are close to U2-sized ticket sales for tours. By the way, how much do they sell, overall, for their current tours (Rolling Stones)? I'd be interested to see, in comparison to our young heroes, U2.

seankirkland said:
Rolling Stones still bring in big crowds, but they're probably the only ones who are close to U2-sized ticket sales for tours. By the way, how much do they sell, overall, for their current tours (Rolling Stones)? I'd be interested to see, in comparison to our young heroes, U2.

STING2, if he happens to read this, can give you the specifics regarding the tours of the Stones vs. U2. Or feel free to visit the Peeling Off The Dollar Bills forum and search.

Bob Dylan's a long running act with only a few weird alterations over time.

I was gonna ask about him, but it looks like osmeone beat me to it :wink:

I'm pretty sure Kiss has had a replacement, and do ZZTop still tour?

I would think that the running between ZZtop and U2 would be pretty close, if ZZtop no longer really exists as a band, BUT, I don't follow their career so I don't relaly know.

I just checked ZZ Top on Wikipedia and it states the band has comprised of the same three members for a little over 35 years and are working on a new album to be released in 2006.

Crazy!! Who's bought a ZZTop album in the last 20 years? Anyone here? Have they released any singles, videos, etc. to radio/TV? I haven't seen or heard from/about them until this forum today, since probably around the late 80's.

Lemonfix said:
So ZZTop has the longevity, eh.

One could make the argument that They've Got Legs.

Oh God I didn't just post that :reject:

:lmao:

I love corny jokes like that hehhehe

Ok I'm done....really should lay off the caffine.

Utoo said:

Nice one. :wink: Was he gone by the time they became The Hype? I think so, but I forget. :scratch:
Nah, he was in the Hype. And if I remember correctly, in the last concert he did with Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry, they started the set as The Hype, and then there was a break in the show, and they came back on as U2, with no Dik. ( :giggle: No dick )
So U2 has always been Edge, Larry Bono and Adam.

Meghan said:

There's a really bad joke in there just dying to get out..... :eeklaugh:

seankirkland said:
Crazy!! Who's bought a ZZTop album in the last 20 years? Anyone here? Have they released any singles, videos, etc. to radio/TV? I haven't seen or heard from/about them until this forum today, since probably around the late 80's.

In the Bang And Clatter forum there is a thread about the best non-U2 concerts this year. Someone mentioned ZZ Top (before this thread even started). So apparently they're still going strong... :up:

Meghan said:

Nah, he was in the Hype. And if I remember correctly, in the last concert he did with Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry, they started the set as The Hype, and then there was a break in the show, and they came back on as U2, with no Dik. ( :giggle: No dick )

Really? I did not know that. How interesting. :hmm:

Don't Oasis deserve some notice here? They've been making exactly the same music repeatedly for 11 years...

well, Oasis has only had the Gallaghers in their band since the beginning... the longtime drummer finally left like last year or so.

that being said, yes, they are repeptitive, though Lyla was killer...

Back
Top Bottom