U2 Live on SNL Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UKTan said:

Sorry you missed them Mish :( :hug:...maybe you'll get lucky at the secret gig tomorrow :)

Anyway, I just sent a link to AliEnvy to d/l the IWF video...I'll ask her to forward it on to you (or you can contact her and ask her :))

Still haven't seen in you chat lately ;)

Hey Tan! :wave: Thanks for the good vibes :) I'll give it all I've got tomorrow, hopefully the boss won't see me on TRL or for sure I'm fired, lol! I just popped into chat and you weren't there... but it's probably 1am for you so I forgive ya ;)

Miss you! No one to say "sod off!" anymore :wink:

mishkAA
OUT OF CONTROL

I don't mean to be a bother. So I'm sorry in advance. But I completely missed the SNL performances! I want to cry!

If anyone could please send me movies, and more importantly the three or four mp3s or wmvs of the show, I would be most appreciative.

My email address is Peace312@aol.com

Thank you in advance. I hope you all enjoyed it!

And I saw the stills of the episode. Bono is amazing, but I'm glad they gave Larry as much screen time as they did.

Last edited:
oceane said:

They were definately crying out of laughter, it seems like everyone was shocked at Bono's antic with that girl. I'm not sure if they thought it was silly, but they surely looked like they had never seen anything like that on their show, and just couldn't believe it.

One phrase : FCC

Vertigo = Some are dissing it because they are comparing it to the energetic Apple commercial. Plus, they are not in live shape yet. Wait till March after a few rehearsals.

STYCMIOYO= This has got to be the greatest SNL performance ever (okay exagerrate & biased) . This song live has the One feel from ZooTv & Zooropa. It's going to be a 1mm lumen tear jerking ballad live.

IWF= Great fun song that got the place jumping. Best version of it I've heard in quite a long time.

Overall, great first USA appearance for the Bomb!

This is from the SNL chat forum:

http://www.saturday-night-live.com/forum/

It answers the 6th song question and the cast members crying question:

jick said:

Did they still play a song after Vertigo?

Cheers,

J

Now as you all saw, the ending was the best I have ever seen. They had the crowd and the cameramen going crazy. To my surprise the whole cast remainded on the main stage and were all dancing like crazy to I Will Follow. The most intense was Amy. She couldn't stop bouncing around and singing out loud. And she was rewarded at the end of the song as Bono danced with her on stage and gave her a nice kiss on the forehead as she was wiping away tears. I am sure he made her night, as he did all of us.

As you may have seen just before the show ended, Bono said "One More!". Well he not only played a fourth song (sorry I didn't catch the title, I was too busy screaming) but he closed the night off singing Vertigo a second time. I am sure if he could have he would have played for another hour, he looked so genuinely excited to be there.

So needless to say I will be applying for tickets again next year but I can't see how it could get better. The lady that took us down in the elevator summed it up when she said "I have never seen anything like that the whole time I have been working here, you guys are really lucky!"

U2 scaled new heights with that studio performance. The showmanship was, as we've come to expect, superb - and their have been enough comments about that.

But the sound - yes- to hear Larry drumming on Vertigo gives the song extra vitality. The stripped down live sound is giving us a great taste of what to expect on the tour and increasing my appeciation of the album. The performance of Sometimes by the whole band was ultra-intense and Edge's guitar works during it point to it becoming an emotional live fixture in the style of One.

heard the mp3's this morning and loved them all. - especially Vertigo. Great to hear the lads out and about.

isabelle_guns said:

I really wish that Bono had lip synced.
OK...this is a statement I hope to never see or hear again.
Regardless of whether Bono was in top vocal form or not, he should never lip sync. Its not what rock and roll is about, and live rock and roll doesn't have to be perfect...its OK for Bono to be a bit off, its OK for Edge to flub a note, their needs to be some spontanaeity and rawness to the performance, its not prepackaged Ashlee Simpson/Avril Lavigne/Justin Timberlake pop crap and should never be performed the same way.

Anybody tape/Tivo it?

I was out of town and didn't tape the show! AAAAHHHH!!! Did anyone tape or Tivo it that would be willing to send me a copy? I'd pay for shipping...
Thank you! You can email me at valeriethatcher@yahoo.com

Valerie

Phi said:
I'm biased, but that performance of Vertigo was the most stunning presentation a band has ever done on SNL. Probably #2 to Sinead O'Connor's Pope ripping.

#2 to a cheap publicity stunt ? That's one low bar.

Hewson said:
OK...this is a statement I hope to never see or hear again.
Regardless of whether Bono was in top vocal form or not, he should never lip sync. Its not what rock and roll is about, and live rock and roll doesn't have to be perfect...its OK for Bono to be a bit off, its OK for Edge to flub a note, their needs to be some spontanaeity and rawness to the performance, its not prepackaged Ashlee Simpson/Avril Lavigne/Justin Timberlake pop crap and should never be performed the same way.

Imagine the Sarajevo show with a backing track instead of a lost-voice Bono, wouldn't be 1/100th as great.

Having said that, Bono's live voice IS shot, and taking on another massive tour withotu quitting smoking and continuing to give tons of interviews while on tour does not help. If you're going to a 3rd night of 3 consecutive shows, you will ge Bono at his worst vocally.

I MISSED IT!

I have been waited FOREVER to see this performance and I WENT AND FORGOT ABOUT IT!! Does anyone know where I can find a VIDEO of the show?! I'd really appreciate it!

I'm with you - I did the same thing.

Wrote it in my work calendar, assuming that if I saw it all week, I'd remember come Saturday. (Now, I fully understand that such things are NOT to be forgotten, but life's gotten away from me lately. Insanity all around - really hoping the new album will help me to get through.)

Anyway, I don't like to be a bother...but if any kind soul would consider emailing working links to nicolepinho@hotmail.com, I would be forever in your debt.

You could have....my firstborn child, or something...

Last edited:
Originally posted by cardosino If you're going to a 3rd night of 3 consecutive shows, you will ge Bono at his worst vocally. [/B]

I actually saw U2 9 times on the Elevation tour and the last show I saw was Sacramento.

It was the 3rd night in a row for them and I figured it was gonna be crap (but still worth driving 4 hours to) and it was AMAZING. Bono's voice was fine and they were on fire! I couldn't believe it!

Was a Beatles-reference in the finish of Vertigo in SNL?

"Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah... She loves you... Yeah Yeah Yeah!"

victor_f said:
Was a Beatles-reference in the finish of Vertigo in SNL?

"Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah... She loves you... Yeah Yeah Yeah!"
]

totally! If you recall last time they were on SNL Bono sang snippets of Instant Karma and All You Need is Love....

Back
Top Bottom