U2, Last of the supergroups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
During a spare moment I had, i came up with this question. Do you think there will be another u2 in the times of throw away music. Am not so sure there will be another U2/Stones type band that are around forever. By supergroup, I mean a band that will be at the top of the tree for 20+years.

I have my doubts that another band will ever become a supergroup. Coldplay hasn't got 'it' to really become a superact. Radiohead could become a supergroup if they would make more mainstream music. Don't see that happen though.

Are there any other candidates?

Aardvark747 said:
Muse could be contenders, on the basis of their last couple of albums. Tho I dunno how big they are in the US...:eyebrow:

Not very big in the US at all (unfortunately).

Muse is an incredible band and most in the US have no clue who they are. Although I am sure that people on this forum know a lot more about them than most.

Aardvark747 said:
Muse could be contenders, on the basis of their last couple of albums. Tho I dunno how big they are in the US...:eyebrow:

Who?

(Just kidding :wink: - I actually am very impressed with some of their stuff)

I think there will be another supergroup. There is certainly enough people who can actually get it and do it correctly. Eventually it sort of has to fall in place. I think it can happen.

Does anyone have a list of all the "super-groups?" U2, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen...

Salome said:
ah well, i guess never say never

I agree.

Though the way modern technology is evolving, is definitely affecting the music industry. - internet access particularly.

Sites like myspace allows access to bands you quite simply would never have heard in the past. Downloading of music is already shaking the industry to it's roots.

I think you'll still get songs that capture the public attention, but band longevity is going to be a real rarity in years to come.

I could see Chili Peppers stepping in to take U2's place, depending on how long it is until Bono and crew give up the rock star lifestyle. For all we know, the Who's upcoming tour of the US may make the Palladino-Starkey lineup Who a supergroup, though that seems unlikely. If nothing else, my future band will fill the void...

Coldplay no matter how much people hate them will become a super group....

Muse...will hopefully become bigger

Sorchia said:
Yay!
Muse fans! I dig them and I am tired as hell of the radiohead clone digs I hear from most people I know.

<------BIG radiohead fan

I bought their latest album and was very impressed:wink:

Last edited:
See I love Radiohead too, and while I can concede influences I was not sure I got the whole "clone" thing. But then again, the people chattering at me are total snobs ala Cake's Rock and Roll Life Style :wink:

I think some of the newer bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Muse, Keane, and Snow Patrol have a bit of a chance. That doesn't mean I'd want them to be.

I think Radiohead missed the boat in 2000.

and Coldplay is starting to bore me.

xaviMF22 said:

no, they chose not to get on the boat:wink:

That too. :D

As much as I prefer their Bends/OK Computer-era stuff, I really respected their decision to do their own thing.

It reminds me of a line in Wayne's World:

Wayne: Good call. It's like he wants us to be liked by everyone. I mean Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees.

Except here, the Bee Gees = Coldplay.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That too. :D

As much as I prefer their Bends/OK Computer-era stuff, I really respected their decision to do their own thing.

It reminds me of a line in Wayne's World:

Wayne: Good call. It's like he wants us to be liked by everyone. I mean Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees.

Except here, the Bee Gees = Coldplay.

wayne's world:drool:

I actually got angry today when I heard Fix You playing at the end of You, Me, and Dupree

songs usually do not make me angry unless they reach an unfathomable level of suck. Coldplay has about 3 of these.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I actually got angry today when I heard Fix You playing at the end of You, Me, and Dupree

songs usually do not make me angry unless they reach an unfathomable level of suck. Coldplay has about 3 of these.

Completely agree...I will fix you...and they say Bono has a messianic complex!

LemonMacPhisto said:

fix you sucks......sounds like Bono wrote it:rolleyes:

lights will guide you home....... :yuck:

though I do think there will be a new supergroup I am about 99% sure it isn't any group we already know about

Sorchia said:

Completely agree...I will fix you...and they say Bono has a messianic complex!

Bono atleast doesn't make it sound like a person is an object.

The thing about Bono is even if the lyrics are cheesefests, he puts enough emotion into his vocals that you actually believe what he says.

If he recorded Fix You, it might be listenable and not a puke fest.

martinkong2ae7.jpg

^^^
I just felt like posting that :wink:

Back
Top Bottom