U2, Last of the supergroups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I define a supergroup as:

1. A group that sells albums, singles dont matter now or ever since the 60s, take Pink Floyd, The Who since then.

2. A group that are a constant live attraction.

And i cant see another Supergroup emerging at the moment.

Screwtape2 said:
I really liked number one. That is a great point! Damn, why didn't I think of that?
Minus the The Beatles your number two makes sense.
I can't see the bands of today selling material long after they are gone.

Yeh, The Beatles were a constant live attraction worldwide from 64-66, forgot that, unless people want to get into that "Well they didnt sell as many tickets at Shea in 66 as they did in 65"but thanks for reminding me Screwtape.

So, now that this thread has gone on for nine pages, I feel the need to point out that U2 is not a "supergroup."

A supergroup is usually defined as a band made up of previously famous artists.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and The Traveling Wilburys are among the biggest supergroups ever.

The modern equivalent would be something like Velvet Revolver or Audioslave.

Danny Boy said:
So, now that this thread has gone on for nine pages, I feel the need to point out that U2 is not a "supergroup."

A supergroup is usually defined as a band made up of previously famous artists.

That is one definition of supergroup but obviously the thread is about the level a group is at not the make-up.

xaviMF22 said:
Coldplay no matter how much people hate them will become a super group....

Muse...will hopefully become bigger
coldplay are already talking about splitting

KUEFC09U2 said:
coldplay are already talking about splitting

ha ha

coldplayquit.jpg

they already established that they will not quit...they just finished their tour and have another album planned:wink:

Screwtape2 said:
Wow. Nice info. I'm surprised by the numbers. ABBA over 250 million. :shocked:
These numbers are the reason you have to look at other things like musically influence, popularity and etc.
But wow. Abba 250 million, really? :scratch:

Some reported global sales figures are not accurate at all. In addition, some people combine the sale of singles with the sale of albums there by inflating figures.

Screwtape2 said:

But wow. Abba 250 million, really? :scratch:

I believe they actually turned down a $1 billion offer to tour again. Pretty amazing. They had an ABBA concert on TV here a few weeks ago...it was very good. I developed an instant crush on one of the lead singers :drool:

angelordevil said:

I believe they actually turned down a $1 billion offer to tour again. Pretty amazing. They had an ABBA concert on TV here a few weeks ago...it was very good. I developed an instant crush on one of the lead singers :drool:

More people need to like ABBA! They may be cheesy as hell, but they wrote some of the catchiest melodies known to popular music.

Screwtape2 said:

That is one definition of supergroup but obviously the thread is about the level a group is at not the make-up.

Essentially, it could be described as...

1. A group of super musicians who make a band.

or

2. A group of musicians who make a super band. :wink:

There is a difference.

GibsonGirl said:

More people need to like ABBA! They may be cheesy as hell, but they wrote some of the catchiest melodies known to popular music.

:yes:

I didn't realise just how many hit songs they had...I caught myself singing along, and especially watching Benny and Agnetha. They were so charismatic. I liked the show so much, I ended up looking up ABBA websites to see how they were all doing today. :wink:

I admit to liking ABBA they know how to put real melody in a song whether the lyrics are throw away or not doesnt really matter. The Beatles had lots of songs with throw away lyrics but great melodys and I bet they did better on average then the ones that had "great meaning". Writting good music isnt all about lyrics, if you want to write something deep write poetry it doesnt need the musical back drop :)

Screwtape2 said:
I'm kind of jealous of the U2 fans on the Popmart tour who saw U2 perform Dancing Queen. If I remember correctly, ABBA joined U2 onstage for one of the Pop shows.

Actually, you're thinking of ZooTV. A couple of members of Abba joined U2 on stage in Stockholm on 11 June 1992.

The song was played only once on Popmart - 30 September 1997, Tel Aviv as Edge's karaoke.

Yahweh said:
I admit to liking ABBA they know how to put real melody in a song whether the lyrics are throw away or not doesnt really matter. The Beatles had lots of songs with throw away lyrics but great melodys and I bet they did better on average then the ones that had "great meaning". Writting good music isnt all about lyrics, if you want to write something deep write poetry it doesnt need the musical back drop :)

I concur greatly :up:

Based on my limited ABBA research, they actually wrote most of the songs themselves. That's impressive--especially when you consider today's 'rent-a-songwriting team' approach to pop music. To me, if music is genuine, and comes from the heart, the ability to move someone is just as valid as meaning something to them.

Axver said:

Actually, you're thinking of ZooTV. A couple of members of Abba joined U2 on stage in Stockholm on 11 June 1992.

I would actually love to hear this :drool:

angelordevil said:

Based on my limited ABBA research, they actually wrote most of the songs themselves. That's impressive--especially when you consider today's 'rent-a-songwriting team' approach to pop music. To me, if music is genuine, and comes from the heart, the ability to move someone is just as valid as meaning something to them.

Well put!

My take on the original question, asked or implied, in this thread is this -- there will not ever be another global supergroup that maintains this status over 20 years like U2 has.

The music industry seems too fragmented these days to accomplish it -- radio seems way more carved up - top 40, classic, country, talk ... -- and you can download one or two of the "good songs" from every band without ever appreciating their full talent -- heck, it does not seem like anybody even wants to aspire for this status.

Remember when Bono talked generally about being the biggest band in the world, and sort of encouraging the competition to step up -- has anyone? Will anyone or any band?

I'm doubtful that another band / act will not do what U2 has done in my lifetime; and with luck I'll have 35 more years and hit my mid 70's.

Remember when Bono talked generally about being the biggest band in the world, and sort of encouraging the competition to step up -- has anyone? Will anyone or any band?

[/B]

I'm do remember those days, now Bono jokingly accepts it when asked about the band. What was that 2000 or 2001-ish? No one has taken up the challenge in all that time. Your whole post was exactly right. What happened to the arrogant frontmen of old?

lol, it's funny some of you mentioned Green Day.

About 2 posts into reviewing this topic, I was already thinking of this band.

Yes. they put out some fairly average music in their career already, but then they've also put out some mighty relevent and contemporary music too. Love them, or loathe them, Green Day borrowed the punk sensibility of the Sex Pistols and pop of early Go-Go's to rewrite the punk pop blueprint to tremendous success.

And, they've matured gracefully thus far. ;)

Coldplay doesn't get the nod in my books. The music is too greedy with emotion and not universal enough in subject matter. They will end up being about a quarter of what REM ever was.

ABBA is to dance what Maiden is to metal. But, both had/have too narrow a lens to capture the world for long.

Personally, I love both the RHCP and Pearl Jam, but neither have offered anything truly fresh in a long long time. RHCP seem stuck on the same beat they've had since they wore socks on their privates (Californication being an exception and the best of the last three) and Pearl Jam only recieve good reviews for showing a little more life than the last 10 years.

So, I cast my stones with Green Day.

Back
Top Bottom