U2 keeps rising on the charts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vox626

The Fly
Hitsdailydouble.com has them at #47 with over 27,000 in sales. Now we know that this isnt the most accurate source but it is consistant. It showed them having a 13% increase in sales. Also, only 6 thats right 6 out of 50 albums on their chart showed increases. U2 had the second biggest with 13% behind enya who had 17%. Last week hits had them at 50 and billboard had them at 53. this week hits has them at 47 and I THINK billboard will have them around 40-45. I think this because most albums around them, according to hits, decreased in sales and U2 rose. I need some opinions, especially Womanfish, I like it when Womenfish writes because unlike many other people in this forum, womenfish thinks long and hard about the theorys they(I say they because Im not sure if you are a man/woman, i think a women but please dont get mad) write. Womenfish please reply!!!!!!
smile.gif

Originally posted by vox626:
Hitsdailydouble.com has them at #47 with over 27,000 in sales. Now we know that this isnt the most accurate source but it is consistant. It showed them having a 13% increase in sales. Also, only 6 thats right 6 out of 50 albums on their chart showed increases. U2 had the second biggest with 13% behind enya who had 17%. Last week hits had them at 50 and billboard had them at 53. this week hits has them at 47 and I THINK billboard will have them around 40-45. I think this because most albums around them, according to hits, decreased in sales and U2 rose. I need some opinions, especially Womanfish, I like it when Womenfish writes because unlike many other people in this forum, womenfish thinks long and hard about the theorys they(I say they because Im not sure if you are a man/woman, i think a women but please dont get mad) write. Womenfish please reply!!!!!!
smile.gif

Hits has them at 48 with sales of 27,752.

aaron

Well here I am, and I am a transvestite! Just kidding, I'm 100% man baby. Womanfish is just a very cool, crazy, weird song that U2 played back in the late 70's on some TV or Radio show.

I love and hate hitsdailydouble. Well, I mostly love it. Although it can give some misleading information sometimes. As Vox626 noted, almost every album on the chart decreased in sales this week. U2 had the second highest increase with 13%. What is also very interesting is the fact that even though many albums decreased in sales, they moved up the chart. For example, nsync went down 7%, but went up 5 spots! Alien Ant Farm went down 13% and went up 5 spots! Gorillaz went down 24% and only went down 1 spot!

So it was a strange week, considering what I just said it is surprising that U2 didn't rise higher on the charts, but that's life.

One reason I don't like hits, is because it usually has a little bit higher sales numbers than billboard. So if they are saying 27,752 - I would guess Billboard will say 26,500 - 27,000.

My guess is that U2 will be around 49 or 50 this week on Billboard since they were 3 spots lower on Billboard than the hits chart last week.

What I am noticing on Amazon and CDnow is that U2 is starting to slide down the charts again, so I predict ATYCLB will be out of the top 50 probably out of the top 55 next week.

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 10-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 10-02-2001).]

Originally posted by womanfish:
What I am noticing on Amazon and CDnow is that U2 is starting to slide down the charts again, so I predict ATYCLB will be out of the top 50 probably out of the top 55 next week.

But are these reliable indicators? AFAIK Amazon sales do not count for the Internet Sales Chart of Billboard (Amazon does not want to give its sales figures), I don't know about CDNow. So those sales have no influence on the Billboard charts.
And I don't know about the trend either. I've noticed that even when ATYCLB was well out of the top 50 (100) on the Billboard chart the album still charted quite high (25-40) on the Amazon sales chart.

So Womanfish, do you have more information (or are you monitoring the Amazon sales chart more accurately as I do)?

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

hmmm.. I don't know why Amazon wouldn't be counted in online sales since they are probably the biggest online site there is. But as for being a good indicator, I believe that they are good. As I have stated before, they are no good at all to compare chart position, but they are good at looking at chart trends. I have noticed that even though U2 is always much higher on the Amazon chart than the Billboard chart, and usually higher on the Cdnow chart than the Billboard chart - when they move up on those charts, a week later, they will move up on the Billboard charts, same for moving down.

It is not an exact science by any means, and it doesn't always work, but I would say a majority of the time it shows the trend.

For another example. Lee Greenwood or whatever his name is got HUGE sales boosts for his patriotic album. It came into the top ten at amazon a couple weeks ago, and this week it appeared in the top 25 on Billboard.

So there ya have it. That's the method to my madness.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom