u2 is too much American directed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cardosino said:

Tell us, where do you live and how well do you know America and it's people that you can conclude America needs a "culture revolution" ?

Had there been anything remotely intelligent or good in the previous post, I would have seen it.

Still, if you see "America sucks" or "FAT AMERICANS AREN'T ALL U2 FANS!!!!!!!!" as the height of an intellectual intelligent discussion........

Oh, and I'm not American BTW....

Is this a reply to my post or a need to explain yourself?

I wasn't defending Pero, was I?
I was just describing very common mood/opinions toward americans... and my personal comment to that (music, movies, political choices, elections...etc)

Pero said:
America sucks, just because u2 loves them.
They aren't near home in summer just because they play in Europe then, they have concert every 3-4 days.

What matters is that u2 plays 3 days in the row in Chicago/Boston/NY... but won't come to Croatia, or Slovenia or Hungary...or even Australia.

DID YOU FORGET ABOUT US????
FAT AMERICANS AREN'T ALL U2 FANS!!!!!!!!

That's just a tad bit harsh... :shame:

bathiu said:

Is this a reply to my post or a need to explain yourself?

I wasn't defending Pero, was I?
I was just describing very common mood/opinions toward americans... and my personal comment to that (music, movies, political choices, elections...etc)

Common where specifically ? I see you haven't said where it is you live that you can make such comments ?

Tell us about where you live, your music, movies, political choices, elections. Tell us about your Utopian society which apparently is so much superior to American society, so much so that you feel qualified to be so judgemental about Americans and America's supposed need for a "culture revolution"

Rock and Roll IS American: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Leo Fender, Woody Gutherie, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash. It all started in America. It should be no surprise that U2, a rock band, have success in America.

Its a shame that this thread has degenerated into a slanging match as there is nothing wrong with the topic itself, Some of the comments unneccesary though!

No one is doubting U2 's success in America but when you think about it after the amoun of gigs etc and the time they spend there is there any wonder??

not sure what brought this on, but it sure is disturbing and offensive. who knows the reasons u2 do what they do. i think america has been good to them, they like it here (doesn't bono have a home in new york?). it's the birthplace of rock music, and it's a safe and stable place to visit and tour. and yes, there's a lot of money here.
but u2 isn't all love and kisses where america is concerned - see 'bullet the blue sky' and any number of bono rants from overseas shows. i get the sense u2 sees my home similarly to how i do - a mix of contradictions - the best and worst rolled up.
all that being said, some of the previous comments border on racist. americans aren't all fantastic - but we're not all bad. i suspect there's good folk and assholes everywhere you look in the world (this much is clear).
i'm sorry it bothers some of you that u2 seem to like america.
i just feel lucky, myself.:tongue:

Last edited:
cardosino said:

Tell us, where do you live and how well do you know America and it's people that you can conclude America needs a "culture revolution" ?

Oh, c'mon. What are you, blind?
There just too many to point out. In America everything went too far away. I'm not going to go into details. It could take me a while...

("freedom looks like too many chioces...")
:|

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

There just too many to point out. In America everything went too far away. I'm not going to go into details. It could take me a while...

("freedom looks like too many chioces...")
:|

Thanks to America, you have Rock and Roll music.

dudeman said:
i'm sorry it bothers some of you that u2 seem to like america.
i just feel lucky, myself.:tongue:

I don't think the thread starter had a problem that U2 likes America, but more that it seems a disproportionate amount of attention is given to the USA. Why? And because of this, the original poster has the feeling that U2 is neglecting the rest of the world.
Yes, the USA is a big market, but so is the rest of the world. Or if you want to constrain it a bit, Europe. Yet, as the original post said, North-America gets 2 tour legs, whereas the rest of the world is lucky if U2 tours their country even once. It can't only be due to the population, as the EU is bigger (in population) than the USA. The bulk of promotion is also in the USA, like the free concert in Brooklyn. Why no free concert in Europe too? Or Australia? Or somewhere in South-America?

So it is not a question of liking or not liking America, but maybe a case of giving too much attention to one area and neglecting the rest a bit...

:shrug:

Marty

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Thanks to the rest of the world, there is America. (if we're going out of the off-topic subject ...)

Funny how all those people who came here, stayed here. And this "great cultural wasteland" gave the world Rock and Roll music.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Thanks to the rest of the world, there is America. (if we're going out of the off-topic subject ...)

Thanks to america, you're not speaking german, don't forget that.
Plain and simple, there's a helluva lot of money in america, regardless of the dollars strength or lack there of. I don't know how this was turned into an america bashing thread, but i think everyone needs to look at the fact that in music, you're not truly popular till u've made it in america. How many americans know who robbie williams is? Americans buying power in music has the most sway in the world. If they're popular in america, chances are they'll be popular anywhwere. Why do artists like ricky martin, marc anthony or utada crossover to america? I'll tell you why, its the market that means the most. Its the market that spends the most. Its the market that says the most. Its the market that'll forget you the fastest... so you've constantly got to prove why you belong there, and why their money goes towards seeing you live or buying your cd.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Funny how all those people who came here, stayed here. And this "great cultural wasteland" gave the world Rock and Roll music.

You're right. Sorry for not seing this, how you folks stayed at that wildland, made a civilization, just for to give birth one day to a thing called Rock & Roll music. :bow:
And yeah, sorry for sending you crap music before (you know, Beethowen, Haydn, Mozart... they never got to R&R :( )

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

No. But every country has it's good and bad. Just curious where is SO much better that they fell we need a "culture revolution". And really, if we DID need one here in the US, there would be one. Maybe most people are actually (tough concept comign up) HAPPY with the way things are in the US. Obvoiusly more people wan tot come here than want to leave after all.

Still, I'll hope against expectations that we will blessed with the knowledge of where is so much superior to here.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

There just too many to point out.

OK, so point out 20. Shouldn't take too too long.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

In America everything went too far away. I'm not going to go into details.

Cop out.

Typical.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Thanks to America, the rest of the World isn't speaking German or Japanese.

(if we're going out of the off-topic subject ...)

Oh yeah, that's right, the "rest of the world" was a spontaneous co-incidental development, only America was "created" by travelers and/or migratioon.

Popmartijn said:

I don't think the thread starter had a problem that U2 likes America, but more that it seems a disproportionate amount of attention is given to the USA. Why? And because of this, the original poster has the feeling that U2 is neglecting the rest of the world.
Yes, the USA is a big market, but so is the rest of the world. Or if you want to constrain it a bit, Europe. Yet, as the original post said, North-America gets 2 tour legs, whereas the rest of the world is lucky if U2 tours their country even once. It can't only be due to the population, as the EU is bigger (in population) than the USA. The bulk of promotion is also in the USA, like the free concert in Brooklyn. Why no free concert in Europe too? Or Australia? Or somewhere in South-America?

So it is not a question of liking or not liking America, but maybe a case of giving too much attention to one area and neglecting the rest a bit...

:shrug:

Marty

Agreed. But it's not the average Americans' fault they do this, there is no need to slam Americans for U2's touring plans, the anger might be more productively directed towards Paul McGuinness maybe ?

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

You're right. Sorry for not seing this, how you folks stayed at that wildland, made a civilization, just for to give birth one day to a thing called Rock & Roll music. :bow:
And yeah, sorry for sending you crap music before (you know, Beethowen, Haydn, Mozart... they never got to R&R :( )

Hey, thanks for Nena, Pastic Bertrand, Falco..............

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

What's you point? I never said America invented music, only RnR music. Damn, you hate America.

cardosino said:
Agreed. But it's not the average Americans' fault they do this, there is no need to slam Americans for U2's touring plans, the anger might be more productively directed towards Paul McGuinness maybe ?

Well, the thread was going alright until one (now banned?) person made some posts slamming the USA. Then hell broke loose. And it seems that whenever someone tries to start ignoring those comments, newcomers jump in on the bashing/defending and so it starts again.

:sigh:

Marty

cardosino said:

Maybe most people are actually (tough concept comign up) HAPPY with the way things are in the US.

And that is the sadest part.
I can maybe point put 20 things but American is not my mother language, so I'll just point out the way of life (it is known that Americans are the most overweightes people), the mentality of people, , (i.e. there is no school violence like in America), ignorance about the rest of the world (i know many of you don't even know where my country is without looking up in the atlas, but the rest of the world learns /in schools/ about every single country in the world, the small ones too) the media, the moral, the crimes,(Michael Moore can tell you a lot), the commercialization of everything, (including Christmas...), going away from the nature (cows aren't purple, you know)...
I could go further, wtih more political and historical, but some might be offensive...

I'm not criticizing anyone, but that's just some facts. Europe (Zooropa) ain't perfect either...

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

In this case, my response would be the one you were responding to.

You exist because my ancestors sacrificed themselves in the name of right against wrong. We had the balls and abilities to help the world and we did. The "rest of the world" became america because of what it stood and still stands for, "righting the wrongs"... freedom. We may be a melting pot, but when we were fighting for you we weren't doing it for power, but for the good of the world and to save people who couldn't save themselves.

cardosino said:

Hey, thanks for Nena, Pastic Bertrand, Falco..............

I'm not from Germany. I'm from Croatia. We gave you transformators, parachutes, propellers, torpedos, light-bulbs...

The_One1932 said:

You exist because my ancestors sacrificed themselves in the name of right against wrong. We had the balls and abilities to help the world and we did. The "rest of the world" became america because of what it stood and still stands for, "righting the wrongs"... freedom. We may be a melting pot, but when we were fighting for you we weren't doing it for power, but for the good of the world and to save people who couldn't save themselves.

Silly goose. America has never done anything good. America's only concern is $. And we have no culture. All Americans are fat, racist, dumb, and greedy. :wink:

The_One1932 said:

I'm not saying you didn't. But we weren't having fun 'til then, either. There were more wars than just WWII, you know.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
American is not my mother language

American isn't anyone's mother tongue as it's not a language.

I thought at least a foreigner would know that.

(I personally hate being asked by clueless Americans if I speak Australian.)

MrBrau1 said:

Silly goose. America has never done anything good. America's only concern is $. And we have no culture. All Americans are fat, racist, dumb, and greedy. :wink:

That reminds me, my big mac is getting cold, i need to gas up my chevy, check my stocks and watch reruns of home improvement for the next 6 hours. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom