u2 is not the most important rock band today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
according to spin magazine. though they are number 4 as the most important artist/band in the world today.

1. jaz
2. emununamn
3. radiohead
4. u2

19. creed

------

i put creed up there only cause i needed to make a stab at them again. i find it rediculously funny that spin put them on this list.

as for 1 and 2... i have to disagree. i mean really even if a rap artist would be number 1, dr. dre would have to be the most influential and important of em all. everything he touches turns to gold whether you like the song or not.

as for radiohead and u2.... i think it is incredibly fascinating that u2 could be at number 4 on a list such as this after 20 years. this speaks unspeakbly high of this band, something that i dont think any other group has ever done before by remaining as relevant for so long as they have. and theres no signs of them slowing down anytime soon.

but if i were to leave rap out of this, and just look at rock groups, id have to say that radiohead are indeed "more important" today than u2 are.

it stems down to age, the very thing i just said before that is so fascinating about them, working against them in this case. radiohead are in their very early 30's and could quite so possibly continue on with greatness for another decade or so, as u2 has.

radiohead are also number 1 on this list for a variety of other reasons, but heres a rather interesting one i'll point out...

radiohead has three guitarists. one lead guitarist, and two others who either do rythem or whatever else. the very fact that they went from structured verse chorus verse guitar based songs and chose to dive straight into prog-anti-rock shows me they will do whatever pleases them.

u2 on the other hand even in their zooropa days, never put down the guitar physically. not that its important too, but every song returned to a chorus, correct me if im wrong. they never really went off the wall and just turned a song upside down, except maybe on the song please and passengers.

does the ability to drop guitars and make incredible music really matter that much to a list like this? no, i dont think so, but the ability to throw everything out the window and start a whole new sound is something very important in keeping a band fresh, vital, and yes "important."

if you asked me in 97 who was the most important band, id have said u2.

but really, i do now believe they take a backseat to the band known as radiohead.

and ofcourse one should remember the most important thing out of all of this: its only perspective. art is not made to be judged, ranked or ordered. thus, this is only a list for conversational purposes and nothing more.

thoughts?

------------------
-deathbear

[This message has been edited by Zoomerang96 (edited 03-11-2002).]

this topis has already been done.

what's the relevance of a list anyways, especially when there is a list made every month.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
and ofcourse one should remember the most important thing out of all of this: its only perspective. art is not made to be judged, ranked or ordered. thus, this is only a list for conversational purposes and nothing more.

thoughts?

now if you had payed any attention anything i wrote youd have chosen your time more wisely by simply agreeing, disagreeing, ignoring this post or adding something relevant to this thread.

instead you chose to say this thread has been done already. NO IT HASNT. would i know? YES I WOULD.

this topic has not been done already, and trust me, repeated subjects are certainly nothing i enjoy anyway so be clear that i would not waste my time "repeating" my own or someone elses work.

------------------
-deathbear

since its too late to edit my post bashing you, i will apologize for coming off rediculously ignorant, and arrogant.

forgive me, for i do get the best of myself at times.

thanks for taking the high road.

however, to my defence, i do believe this thread is quite a bit different. i did read that thread earlier, but i didnt think this thread was all that similiar.

ah well, ive been wrong before. the more often im wrong, the better my chances are of getting something right by accident in the future.

thanks again for not taking my lame abuse to seriously.
------------------
-deathbear

[This message has been edited by Zoomerang96 (edited 03-11-2002).]

....so if U2 arent the most important rock band today, are u saying the fleas around ur ass are Zoomer????????

tongue.gif

Oh, you mean Kid A and Amnesiac don't return to a chorus?

I disagree. Pretty much all the songs, besides for Pulk/pull, Hunting Bears and a couple others, have a verse-chorus arrangement. I challenge you to disprove this.

Even Everything In It's Right Place has a verse and chorus, I believe. I play along on guitar and there are only 2 different progressions. One for the "Yesterday I woke up..." part...and one for the "Chorus"..."Everything...Everything...In its right place"

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Not that I'm defending SPIN's silly list, but I believe they are listing the vital artists to the 14-19 yr-old age group. I don't know anyone my age (24) who listens to Jay-Z or Eminem....

Awww fuck it, I dunno
wink.gif

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
art is not made to be judged, ranked or ordered.

I agree. A little competition keeps things exciting, but I find it hard to agree with awards like the Grammy's. How can some people decide for all of the interested public what is best and what isn't? You can't... So how does this relate to your post? Well simply in the fact that I don't agree with you regarding Radiohead. lol Sorry bear. I agree that Radiohead is a great band and has really brought some innovative music to the forefront, but it's like you said, it's personal opinion and my personal opinion is that I prefer the Radiohead of old. I like chorus's! lol
biggrin.gif
What's wrong with a little melody? Anyway... Radiohead is great, but over rated and I think U2 should be ranked before them
eek.gif

I disagree with the rationale of what makes a band "important" whatever that means. It seems that you equate age / band life cycle and experimentation as the two most important parts.

To me, being experimental doesn't necessarily make one band more important or relevant than the next. I suppose it is part of the equation, but I think a relatively minor part.

As far as age / band life cycle, I agree that Radiohead has been more surprising than U2 as of late and I think there is maybe more anticipation as to what the next sound of Radiohead is going to be than for U2. In this context, Radiohead may be more important at the moment to the evolution of what exactly rock music is and can be than U2.

Ultimately, the idea of importance and relevance is very hard to pin down. To me, I would say that importance is about capturing the attention of the world at any given moment and being thought of by the music buying public and the industry as the band you are most interested in hearing about, listening to new material, and seeing live.

Radiohead is certainly way up there. But, U2 far transcends Radiohead in terms of reach to a diverse audience. So, if I had to vote, U2 qualifies as more "important" than Radiohead.

Interesting topic.

I like Radiohead. I love U2.

I can't make an unbiased call. U2 is the most important band to me personally. That is all.
smile.gif

If U2 didn't rely on verse- chorus- verse chorus patterns, I think Bono would forget the words to many songs much more often....

does the ability to drop guitars and make incredible music really matter that much to a list like this? no, i dont think so, but the ability to throw everything out the window and start a whole new sound is something very important in keeping a band fresh, vital, and yes "important."

I think U2 has done the above with The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa/ POP, and Passengers.

IMO Radiohead has only really done this big switch or something close to it once and that is the post OK Computer output.

Great band and defintely influential.

I think U2 has done more so far. But if we're talking about the present influence... Radiohead might have an edge. You hear it in Coldplay, in Travis, Blur, in a lot of Britpop it seems... And people always seem to be name dropping Radiohead.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 03-12-2002).]

I bought Amnesiac and I hated it. YUK. Boring!

I bought ATYCLB and I loved it.

To me, that means u2 is the greater band for me.

I don't care what SPIN says.

They are just trying to be cool.

Back
Top Bottom