U2 is back in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rick rubin :drool:

rubin wouldn't be such a stretch... besides run-dmc, jay-z and the beasties, he's also produced, among others, johnny cash and audioslave. so i wouldn't say he's a producer of any specific genre... there's certainly no "hip hop vibe" on any of the johnny cash records he produced, or the audioslave ones, for that matter.

he's just a great producer. period.

Not that it realy matters, but I said "trip-hop vibe".

Anyway, Rick Rubin would be cool as well.

Here is my list now:
Brendan O'Brien
Nigel Gogrich
Jack White
Rick Rubin

bsp77 said:
Not that it realy matters, but I said "trip-hop vibe".

Anyway, Rick Rubin would be cool as well.

that comment was directed at the whole thread the last several posts talking about Dr. Dre and hip-hop. I only quoted you because I dig that NIN song.

I didn't even notice the trip-hop comment until just now, it is a trip hop vibe but I don't think Dre really had much to do with the song in general. .

I think Reznor is responsible for most of that track's production anyways. Dre is credited with "mixing assistance".
Which basically means he was doing something almost anyone could do. Twistin' knobs.

Last edited:
this would be a dream, another u2 album next year.........why not?!?!? oh, i hope so.....................i want to see them again back in europe as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
rick rubin :drool:

he was my pick for the last record when the rumors were going around that lanois and eno weren't on board.

Would be great, and I would be excited to see the material that comes out of that session.

Rubin has produced virtually EVERY genre of music, so I dont see how he doesnt belong with anything.

Would be interesting at least, plus he is friends with the band.

U2 don't need rubin. remember the so high claimed chris thomas, the producer of inxs, pink floyd and beatles? he was a flop. not because he doesn't understand nothing of music, but because U2 are themselves producers, and they went in disagreement with him. how many songs did thomas produce? 1 or 2 i think, it's the same end rubin would do. U2 have a style of their own. it's not that simple to do music with U2.
you must live with them to work with them.
the only good names i know are:
steve lillywhite
brian eno
dan lanois
i don't think it's silly

Last edited:
babyman said:

the only good names i know are:
steve lillywhite
brian eno
dan lanois
i don't think it's silly

And Flood.

Just because Chris Thomas didn't work, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't.

bsp77 said:

And Flood.

Just because Chris Thomas didn't work, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't.

and Flood, exactly. I don't mean that Rubin isn't good, he's a well producer, personnaly i like most of the music he produces. But the fact is that U2 is probably the most difficult band to work with, we all know how much exacting, perfectionist, and actually jealous of their own way of making music are. U2 worked with the same people since they were a baby band, they have their own dimension, it's very hard for someone who stays outside of them to understand what they really want. otherwise they would have changed producers everytime. that's why someone like chris thomas failed (I mean, this man worked with the beatles and pink floyd!!!!) and that's why maybe even howie b failed, U2 were actually never happy with the result of pop, although in the end it is a good record. Everytime when U2 tried to work with someone different, punctually someone of the usual people (like lanois or lillywhite) were called after a while to make "the sun shine". U2 have their own world, they have their own way of creating music. Rick Rubin would have been good if U2 was a new born band, but after 25 years of continuous work with the same crew, i don't think that amongst them everything would run in a right way. In U2, it's not the band who follows the producer, but it's the producer who must follow them, and that's what the same Flood said. it's U2 who are pushing in their own direction. Rick Rubin and U2 would be like 2 roosters in a hen house. U2 isn't a club you can simply enjoy, U2 is a team

babyman said:
U2 don't need rubin. remember the so high claimed chris thomas, the producer of inxs, pink floyd and beatles?

I think Chris Thomas had them going in a good direction. You are right in a sense. U2 seem to know exactly what they want, and the producers are there more to make it happen. I would like to think that U2 would reject a producers ideas based on something more real than simply a blinkered approach to their work. If they are blinkered and aren't going to be interested in a producers view if it differs from theirs, then I don't really care who they get in. But I'd hope thats not the case and if it's not, Rick Rubin would be a good choice. He'd stay true to U2 while probably 'hearing' them from a different location. If that makes sense. He would/could take exactly what U2 is and want to be, but keep it fresh and new and moving forward, unlike a certain other producer....

Last edited:
How about U2 produce their own albums? I'm sure Edge knows how. Actually, though, I think it would be fun if Noel Gallagher produced at least one track.

the tourist said:
How about U2 produce their own albums? I'm sure Edge knows how. Actually, though, I think it would be fun if Noel Gallagher produced at least one track.

that's what i'm involving, too. :up: but in the end, talking about U2, you don't talk just about bono, edge, adam and larry, these are just the ones who go on stage. actually U2 are more than 4 persons, there are the other members who stay behind the scenes, but are well belonging to the band. Dan, Brian, Steve and Flood are the other 4 members of the band, anyone different to them would be like losing a piece of the perfect puzzle, like losing a brother, a tight friend.......
How did we get addicted to U2 in the end? Thanx to those great geniuses, who have never missed a shot.........
they don't need anyone else, these 8 men together are an invincible FAMILY...............the scientists in music

Back
Top Bottom