U2 is back in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
norsehorse23 said:
now, what is this 'chronicles' thing that atu2 has on its main page? could that be the zooropa type album we are talking about?

I really doubt that barely one month was enough time for U2 to record even an EP. They're WAY too perfectionists to do so. Maybe a couple songs now, and some more between the 3th and 4th leg of the tour, but not by now. Not that I wouldn't like another release, and more new songs being played on tour, but it's unlikely to happen.

About the "Chronicles", according to what the Carpenters' Chronicles is, it's just a re-release of past albums, which comes in a 3 CD boxset. I'd bet on Boy or War, plus JT and AB.

Hallucination said:

Well in this thread inpaticular it was the context in which Coldplay were mentioned that seems to have bothered people. It was suggested that U2 head into the studio right away just to make sure they get an album out around the same time as Coldplay's new album as to not lose any momentum to them. Obviously I can only speak for myself, I have nothing against Coldplay but when people start talking about how U2 needs to "compete" with Coldplay and how they need to remain in the public eye as to not get pushed aside so to speak by Coldplay, it makes me shake my head because that's not what music is about. If that were the case maybe U2 should make sure their next album doesn't quite coinside with a new Greenday album. It sounds ridiculous I know, but that's why people here say who gives a rats ass what Coldplay do because it has no relevance and shouldn't have any relvance to what U2 does.

Exactly. I actually like Coldplay a lot, but what they do should not dictate what U2 does (if anything it's the other way around, but let's not get into that). In fact, Coldplay shouldn't even be in this thread. The reason threads turn into Coldplay bitching threads is because people randomly bring them up. Why don't we just give Coldplay their own sub-forum and be done with it? :p

As for this topic, I doubt U2 will record an entire album or even EP in a month's time. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they're working on one and we'll see an early/mid 2006 release...

it'd be nice if I got a new U2 album before I graduate from high school. come on U2, you can do it.

I don't think that a new album is impossible...
Remember that the band could have the some songs already recorded (many leftovers from HTDAAB already talked), and they could just compilate the songs in a new album. Perhaps what those songs need is just a bit more of production/polishment, but that's something the producers can make (or even The Edge) could make in the studio in a few weeks.
That's not impossible at all...
If those 10/12 songs that didn't make the final HTDAAB are made, recorded and have pre-production it's nearly possible that a new album dues in 2006.

Where there really that many leftover songs? And if they were all left out how could they be good enough for another album?

sniggirb said:
Where there really that many leftover songs? And if they were all left out how could they be good enough for another album?

There was one quote about having enough album-worthy songs for one more album, and the songs just didn't fit the theme of HTDAAB ...

Axver said:

There was one quote about having enough album-worthy songs for one more album, and the songs just didn't fit the theme of HTDAAB ...

Yes, wasn't it stated they recorded 24 songs for HTDAAB? And those are just the ones they did for that specific album, they might decide to not use them and explore other songs they've written.

Way too much talk about Coldplay, whatever happened to Led Zeppelin?
Nevermind.
One thing I can be sure of is the next U2 record is going to be another classic.
Whatever the style they choose to play it in, it will be OK by me.

By the way, I think on the last record they originaly had about 40 new songs, but slowly cut down to those that are now on the CD.

People, let's be serious - U2 is not in the same place they were 13 years ago. They can not and will not record an album in less than 2 years. They want another huge album - and I am completely okay with that. I would love a quick EP or something, but it is VERY unlikely. I say, give U2 2-4 more years and we will get another classic.

:)

Well we know there's already Mercy, and the song called "Star-Stuck" that wasn't "strong enough" for HTDAAB. Then someone (I think it was Lillywhite) talked about Northstar which was suposed to be one of U2's greatest songs. There's also the fact that U2 stopped by Jacknife Lee's before one of the gigs on the European leg.

With the new version of ABOY and the acoustic version of A Man and A Woman, we can at least say that they HAVE been in a studio, although we dunno about new songs.

IrishDawg said:
Well we know there's already Mercy, and the song called "Star-Stuck" that wasn't "strong enough" for HTDAAB. Then someone (I think it was Lillywhite) talked about Northstar which was suposed to be one of U2's greatest songs. There's also the fact that U2 stopped by Jacknife Lee's before one of the gigs on the European leg.

Northern star is a tribute song to Johnny Cash.

from the January 2005 issue of the Australian version of Rolling Stone Magazine...

How hard was it to write the lyrics this time?

Bono: “The lyrics were very easy. I have two critics in Larry and Adam, and an avenger with Edge. That’s how it works. But they were probably the easiest-ever lyrics for me - they were written in minutes. One thing about the album: It might have taken two years, but the songs themselves, they were done in three or four takes. Maybe ‘Yahweh’ was played 10 times; ‘Vertigo’ was probably played four times. I never did more than three or four takes on the vocals. So most of the time was spend mixing the ink, as the Chinese proverb suggests. you spend a year mixing the ink and a second making the mark. Songwriting, improvisation; we worked on 30 songs. Some songs are not on the album not because they are not great, but because they didn’t fit the feeling. There’s a song we did with Dr Dre called ‘Treason’. There’s a song about Johnny Cash called ‘North Star’. There are amazing songs that I’d like to get finished at some point. I don’t want to wait too long - we’d like another album soon.”

Ah thats where he mentioned it, thanks..

So, what are the songs mentioned prior to the album coming out that didn't make the cut? I seem to remember "lead me in the way I should go" was one of them..and "treason" "north star" are the most recently cited songs for the next album.

Dr Dre?!? That's either my greatest U2 fear realised, or my greatest U2 wish realised. Interesting to say the least.

As for that Bono quote, he says he wrote the lyrics "in minutes" - no shit Bono.

GAGV said:

I really doubt that barely one month was enough time for U2 to record even an EP. They're WAY too perfectionists to do so. Maybe a couple songs now, and some more between the 3th and 4th leg of the tour, but not by now. Not that I wouldn't like another release, and more new songs being played on tour, but it's unlikely to happen.

About the "Chronicles", according to what the Carpenters' Chronicles is, it's just a re-release of past albums, which comes in a 3 CD boxset. I'd bet on Boy or War, plus JT and AB.

It's a DVD set.

Earnie Shavers said:
Dr Dre?!? That's either my greatest U2 fear realised, or my greatest U2 wish realised. Interesting to say the least.
One of my greatest U2 fears was realised a couple of days ago. :|

Early Registration

Rapper Kanye West is set to play four dates with U2 in December.

The Grammy Winning producer and rapper from Chicago, whose most recent release is 'Late Registration', is set to perform with U2 in St Louis (December 14th), Omaha (December 15th), Salt Lake City (December 17th) and Portland (December 19th).

At the Grammy Awards in February, Kanye won Best Rap Album for his album 'The College Dropout' and Best Rap Song for his single 'Jesus Walks'.

Still, if they have to open with a rapper, I'd rather Kanye than Usher or someone. *shudder*

Meghan said:

One of my greatest U2 fears was realised a couple of days ago. :|

Early Registration

Rapper Kanye West is set to play four dates with U2 in December.

The Grammy Winning producer and rapper from Chicago, whose most recent release is 'Late Registration', is set to perform with U2 in St Louis (December 14th), Omaha (December 15th), Salt Lake City (December 17th) and Portland (December 19th).

At the Grammy Awards in February, Kanye won Best Rap Album for his album 'The College Dropout' and Best Rap Song for his single 'Jesus Walks'.

Still, if they have to open with a rapper, I'd rather Kanye than Usher or someone. *shudder*

I wish Kanye was opening for U2 when I see them next week.

Some people will always have a negative reaction to rap without even giving it a chance.

And Usher is not a rapper.

:huh: I know he is a producer, that's why I think they're interested in the hip hop teritorry.

Dr. Dre produced a Nine Inch Nails track that isn't hip-hop (Even Deeper). But it does have a kick ass trip-hop vibe.

I think they might have spent this time in the studio to do the Wim Wenders movie song in addition to all the rest. More reason not to get out hopes up for a quick one.

The interesting thing is that they haven't added any '06 dates yet. So the window is still open, although I think it's bleak.

bsp77 said:
Dr. Dre produced a Nine Inch Nails track that isn't hip-hop (Even Deeper). But it does have a kick ass trip-hop vibe.

That is a cool song.

But if U2 want some hip-hop vibe, just get Rick Rubin, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom