U2 iPod out of production!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ipodbroken210.gif

idontgiveadamn3mv.jpg

eyeprod.jpg

irish4oi.jpg

Last edited:
victor_f said:

Also, will U2 release OOTS as a single? :hmm:

I was wondering about this.

Did they pick OOTS because it's the next single, or because it's Steve Job's favorite track on HTDAAB.

(he mentioned that on 10-26-04 at the Apple Event when Bono & The Edge performed it if I remember it correctly, but I was to busy filming their performances and drooling at the Complete U2 that had just been mentioned)

inmyplace13 said:
Alright well I'm going to sell my ipod, it's a 3rd gen 20 gig, but it's pretty much brand new. I'm going to buy either the new ipod with the video or the U2 ipod with the color display...

but which one do i get...

When you decide which one you want, let me know how much you're selling the old one for!

Hmmmmm.....A discontinuation of the current U2 iPod.....to be replaced by a new version to commemorate the NEW album.....:hmm: :wink:

Actually, it is pretty strange that they put out a color U2 iPod for only a few months----if sales were slow (can't see why else they'd stop it, except for the above dream..), why invest in making a color one for only a few weeks? :scratch:

Utoo said:
Hmmmmm.....A discontinuation of the current U2 iPod.....to be replaced by a new version to commemorate the NEW album.....:hmm: :wink:

Actually, it is pretty strange that they put out a color U2 iPod for only a few months----if sales were slow (can't see why else they'd stop it, except for the above dream..), why invest in making a color one for only a few weeks? :scratch:

It won't be a new album! It will be the new DVD.

A new U2 iPod to fit the DVD cover colours...
Now it will be black and red!!!!

ok, ... and silver.

:wink:

victor_f said:

It won't be a new album! It will be the new DVD.

A new U2 iPod to fit the DVD cover colours...
Now it will be black and red!!!!

ok, ... and silver.

:wink:

hehe :laugh:

I can't believe the U2 iPod is fully discontinued. I know it's not on Apple's web site - but neither is the Harry Potter iPod - and that *just* came out a few weeks ago! Why release that for mere weeks and then cancel it? The new Potter movie is coming out in November - so it would seem logical that Apple would keep the Harry Potter iPod around until at least then (get the holiday push from the movie).

My guess is that right now Apple is pushing these new video iPods, so the other types are temporarily not available on the web site.

This, of course, begs the question: do people *really* want video on their iPods?

Portable music is great for so many reasons, which is why the iPod sold so well. This portability is also why CD's sold so well back in the late 80's through the 90's - people could easily carry them around and have great sound (with minimal damage to the disk). The iPod improves upon that by having thousands of songs literally at one's fingertips. Hence the success of the basic iPod is not shocking.

Having the iPod contain pictures is fun, but it's really more of a luxury item. Still, the color screen is a dramatic improvement, both aesthetically and pragmatically.

But who really wants to watch movies on an iPod? It has a small screen and has to be held. One can walk around outside listening to music. One can't walk around outside listening and watching a video.

If Apple really wants to upgrade their iPods, have some iPod games. Surely they can come up with something that would work with that great click wheel! Heck, my phone has a pseudo-click wheel and games use that!

Anyway, I just don't see these video iPods being huge sellers. But who knows? :shrug:

typhoon said:
The only reason most people bought it was because it was a black iPod, and now there's a much better looking all-black one that doesn't cost $50 more than the white one.
´

:slant: You're right, and it's thinner.

According to wikipedia, the U2 iPod is now discontinued, so that kind of puts a kabash on any hopes that they were taking it away and then reintroducing it later with video capabilities.

But just think.... the value of everyone's U2 iPod just went up now that they are a rare commodity.

Damn, compared to these new iPods my black and white U2 iPod looks like something ancient haha.

So if I wanted to buy one of these, which one do I want the most?I see some on Amazon with varying prices but not near what they were when they first came out.
Anyone who really knows about them, as I am sure there is an expert on here- can you PLEASE give me the background so I make an informed purchase?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Amazon are not listing the new ones yet. You can get one of the photo editions for about 50 dollares less of their list price (because they are just getting them out of stock, waiting for the video ones). You can buy the u2 ipod color on amazon for 279, down from 330. But I would wait and spend some extra buck in the black new ipod with video, either 30GB or 60, they are so cool.

Cask said:
Amazon are not listing the new ones yet. You can get one of the photo editions for about 50 dollares less of their list price (because they are just getting them out of stock, waiting for the video ones). You can buy the u2 ipod color on amazon for 279, down from 330. But I would wait and spend some extra buck in the black new ipod with video, either 30GB or 60, they are so cool.

Thanks for the info. So you think I should skip the Black U2 version with the signatures, etc. entirely? I sort of was attracted to the novelty of it, although obviously not that much since I never got off my ass to go buy one!

I duuno if video will matter to me that much. I have never even bothered to hook the camera service up to my cell phone, so you can see how much I am in to all that techie stuff.

Edge would be so disappointed in me!:lol:

Cask said:
Amazon are not listing the new ones yet. You can get one of the photo editions for about 50 dollares less of their list price (because they are just getting them out of stock, waiting for the video ones). You can buy the u2 ipod color on amazon for 279, down from 330.

amazon UK charged me full price :down:
That's a pretty good deal - works our about $130 less than what I paid, when you do the conversions.

Also, was anyone else a little surprised about U2.com's article on the new iPod?
Clearly they're not taking the sly approach to promoting Apple at the moment. It was so blatant :slant:

And it still surprises me that amongst all this promotion, they don't offer any info about the U2 iPod and it's removal (be it permanent or temporary).

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1753

Last edited:
I think what they should do ...is let anyone who wants too ge teh band signatures laser engraved on any ipod sold now.

They may do another product rollout they may reintroduce the u2 ipod with a color screen...but somehow I think it's gone for good. Apple in the 3rd quarter had a sale surge in ipods of 220 percent over quarter 3 last year I dont think that sales surge has much to do with the u2 ipod and i think they dropped it

Arun V said:
They may do another product rollout they may reintroduce the u2 ipod with a color screen...but somehow I think it's gone for good. Apple in the 3rd quarter had a sale surge in ipods of 220 percent over quarter 3 last year I dont think that sales surge has much to do with the u2 ipod and i think they dropped it

Actually I heard that the U2 iPod was a lot more successful than they initially thought it would be. Not only it attracted U2 fans, but it also attracted a lot of people that wanted an iPod with a diferent color, and many thought that the black of the U2 iPod looked awesome. That is why the U2 iPod went through a refresh, and probably why they made black iPod nanos and now also black full sized iPods.

We all know they didn't take the money, but even if they did, so what. Who cares. As long as they keep making great music and touring, they can pretty much do what they like tbh.

Honestly the new iPod is a lot better than the U2 iPod. Better technology plays videos and photos, its thinner, bigger screen, I go that route. the u2 ipod is just a different color. Thats the one i have but im druling over the new one.

Rushes out to Apple store to buy one...in my dreams...BUT, my husband's been using mine all the time in his office, so maybe ... 40th birthday present???

Oh yeah...my U2 tix were my birthday present...

I guess I have some major loving to do...I want my U2 iPod :wah:

Back
Top Bottom