U2 invited to East Timor independence celebration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
I think this is good news. I hope they consider going and performing to that suffered people.

"East Timor invites U2 and Garth Brooks to independence party

11/21/2001
Associated Press Newswires

DILI, East Timor (AP) - Tiny East Timor has invited Irish rock group U2
and country music star Garth Brooks to perform at independence
celebrations next year.

Its acting foreign minister Jose Ramos-Horta said Wednesday he hoped
they would take up the offer to witness the creation of the world's
newest nation on May 20, 2002.

East Timor's people voted to split from Indonesia in 1999 and is now
being administered by the United Nations.

Under a Security Council mandate, the world body has restored civilian
government and has begun to rebuild the Southeast Asian country, which
was all but devastated by withdrawing Indonesian militias and troops.

Ramos-Horta, a Nobel peace laureate, said his homeland wanted to shed
its image as a troublespot.

"We want to use the 30 days to promote East Timor as an island of
peace," Ramos-Horta told journalists in the capital, Dili.

U.N. staff in East Timor said there was no confirmation so far about
whether U2 or Brooks would come."

I think I would feel like home, they speak portuguese in East Timor as well.

Btw, the place is pretty close to Australia and New Zealand, isn?t it?
smile.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Oh MY GOD

THIS IS PART OF ELEVATION 2002 tour to Australia!!!!!!!!!!!
I can feel it....
call me psychic

PLEASE

smile.gif

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

I don't care about Garth Brooks, but I do care about the people from East Timor. I think it would be a perfect way to start a whole new life, with U2 performing there.

Anyway, maybe they are huge fans of Mr. Brooks, who knows?
smile.gif

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
THIS IS PART OF ELEVATION 2002 tour to Australia!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL zoomerang, I thought of something like an Aussie invasion in East Timor
biggrin.gif

I just realised I have a friend there! He's a soldier, he joined the Brazilian peace troops that are in East Timor helping to rebuild things there. And guess what? The guy is a huge U2 fan, so I hope his mission there doens't end before next May. If they accept the invitation, for sure.
smile.gif

I just heard about this on the radio

I think it would be a nice thing for U2 to do

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by wireman:
I think I'd rather u2 break up than play that gig

ummmmmmm, why??????

I think that this would be so good if U2 played in East Timor, this is a country who have struggled for soo many years and U2 being very active supporters of Amnesty International, well it would be very fitting if they played there, and you know that if they did go to Timor, well they would have to come to Australia then, or maybe it would be the perfect opportunity for me to get my arse over to Indo and utilise the Indo that I learnt at university, 'Selamat datang, saya dari Timor'

Exactly my thoughts OzAurora, regardless Garth Brooks being invited also (and of course I have no idea why), I do think U2 could bring so much joy to a celebration like that.
As for your comment on the Indo language, here in Brasil was largely reported that people from East Timor were forbidden, by the Indonesian invaders, to speak Portuguese and the catholic churches were banned as well. I can?t even imagine such thing. Our government was asked to send Portuguese teachers to East Timor to help on restoring schools, along with the peace force. I would love to work on a mission like that.

------------------
Brasil is the country of the future. And it will always be...

I invited them to my birthday party, but I don't think they'll show. Maybe I should start my own republic!

Originally posted by OzAurora:
ummmmmmm, why??????

I think that this would be so good if U2 played in East Timor, this is a country who have struggled for soo many years and U2 being very active supporters of Amnesty International, well it would be very fitting if they played there, and you know that if they did go to Timor, well they would have to come to Australia then, or maybe it would be the perfect opportunity for me to get my arse over to Indo and utilise the Indo that I learnt at university, 'Selamat datang, saya dari Timor'

you aussies will do anything to get u2 even close to your continent won't you?

wireman, I still haven?t got your point. Would you mind telling me why do you think it would be so bad for U2 to accept East Timor?s invitation?

they didn't play a presidential inaguration for clinton...and this is a bit lower than that if you ask me.

That's really an honour to be asked to perform at such an occasion. (East Timor seems to know who's big in the world of pop music).

They ought to accept just to balance out the Superbowl appearance.

I grew up in Indonesia, so this subject is near and dear to my heart. I think it would be a lovely gesture for the boys to do and would fit in perfectly with the kind of band they are. The struggle for independence in that area has gone on for so long, and it's so exciting to see that they are finally getting there.

As far as the language goes, I'm pretty sure Timor was forced to use Bahasa Indonesia during the occupation, but I would hope that their native Portugese returns to being the main language. Indonesian has to be one of the easiest languages in the world to learn, tho. No verb conjugating! Semua orang bisa belagar bahasa Indonesia.
biggrin.gif

-sula

Lower is not an appropriate word to be used in the context of nations IMO wireman, unless you?re thinking about the southern hemisphere as a whole...or a hole. You have always had your free nation. They haven?t, until now.
I think you didn?t get it.

------------------
Brasil is the country of the future. And it will always be...

Wireman, assumming you are indicating that playing at a presidential gig is so tactless and testeless and you would rather see U2 split up, and that playing at the East Timor independence celebration is a "lower" cause, I think you have just deeply offended not only a nation, but a people who have suffered years of torment, amnesty international who have rallied for them for so long, and the catholic church who esposed non violent demonstrations for 25 years under the most horrific repression. All groups which have a strong affinity with U2, you may say.

Maybe U2 will not play there. they cant obviously play every gig they are requested. Maybe they would rather play the superbowl. But I think its an honour to both East Timor and U2 that this discussion is taking place.

Whether or not they tour Australia is irrelevent in terms of this discussion, however just cause Aussie fans desperately want Elevation doesn't mean playing east Timor would be a "low cause". Quite the opposite, in fact.

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

I can use whatever context i feel like...it's my opinion. But u2 is about issues..not politicians..or nations. though I admit....I may have overshot when I said i'd rather have them do the superbowl.

[This message has been edited by wireman (edited 11-24-2001).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

As far as the language goes, I'm pretty sure Timor was forced to use Bahasa Indonesia during the occupation, but I would hope that their native Portugese returns to being the main language. Indonesian has to be one of the easiest languages in the world to learn, tho. No verb conjugating! Semua orang bisa belagar bahasa Indonesia.
biggrin.gif

-sula[/B]

wow, i thought no one had posted this topic so i post the similar topic 5 minutes ago hehe. sorry
yeah, indonesian is 1 of the easiest language but i still failed on my bahasa indonesia exam though
smile.gif

btw, it's not 'belagar', but 'belajar'.
we love U2=kami cinta U2

Originally posted by candice star:
yeah, indonesian is 1 of the easiest language but i still failed on my bahasa indonesia exam though
smile.gif

btw, it's not 'belagar', but 'belajar'.
we love U2=kami cinta U2

hehe. oops. Since I learned the language as a kid chatting with my playmates, my spelling and grammar pretty much suck. Never had to write it..just speak it. lol. I also have to be careful about formal Indonesian because with playmates you use the most casual forms of the words...not the kind you should use in an adult situation. So I tend to use "kamu" instead of "anda" etc.
biggrin.gif

-sula

ps. the comment about the celebration being "lower" is so ludicrous and ignorant, I don't think I'm even going to go there.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Wireman to use a line from one of my U2 T-shirts you need to 'Wake up and smell the flowers'- if you cant see that what you have said is completely wrong then I think you really need to do some research on what the East Timoreese people have gone through, anyway I am not going to waste my time writing a big piece on what has happened, maybe you should just wake up!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom