U2 Instrumentals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
As soemone who is becoming increasingly interested in u2's instrumentals ( particularly endless deep ). i was just wondering if anyone has a complete list of every u2 instrumental recorded, and it would be great if u could rank them from favourite to least favourite.

Just curious about the overall opinion of fans reagrding u2's instrumentals, which seem to be rarely discussed or related to by fans critics and the band alike.....

I've said it before, but I think Grace from ATYCLB would have been a great instrumental closer to the album. Great music, horrible lyrics.

ThatGuy said:
I've said it before, but I think Grace from ATYCLB would have been a great instrumental closer to the album. Great music, horrible lyrics.

Love the lyrics to Grace.

My fave instrumental(although it has the choir) is Alex Descends into Hell

I like two of them... Endless Deep, Race Against Time
Most however, are not so good... I've never been a fan of 60 Seconds in Kingdom Come for example, it's not very memorable.

It seems that U2 never puts much effort into instrumentals...

I enjoy Things To Make And Do, but I only have live versions of it. Never heard much in the way of instrumentals. I do like 4th Of July, though.

ThatGuy said:

Grace having horrible lyrics? Perhaps you are not so well-versed with the Christian faith - hence your inability to comprehend the message and beauty of the song's lyrics.

Cheers,

J

intedomine said:
As soemone who is becoming increasingly interested in u2's instrumentals ( particularly endless deep ). i was just wondering if anyone has a complete list of every u2 instrumental recorded, and it would be great if u could rank them from favourite to least favourite.

Just curious about the overall opinion of fans reagrding u2's instrumentals, which seem to be rarely discussed or related to by fans critics and the band alike.....

Off the top of my head:

Things To Make And Do
Boomerang (Instrumental)
4th Of July
Endless Deep
Bass Trap
Race Against Time -- I'm not sure if this is an instrumental
Bottoms
Novelty Act -- alleged unreleased instrumental b-side from the ATYCLB era

...and perhaps most of the tracks in the Passengers album although I'm not quite sure that would qualify as instrumentals. There's also Mullen and Clayton doing Mission Impossible. Things To Make And Do is the only instrumental they have played live to this day.

Cheers,

J

here's a comprehensive list, i think:

- 4th of july
- things to make and do
- boomerang one
- bass trap
- 60 seconds in the kingdom come

and off the passengers album:
- united colours of plutonium
- plot 180
- theme from the swan
- theme from let's go native
- bottoms (b-side)
- viva davidoff (b-side)

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:

I definitely agree with you there. I like the whole idea of Grace's lyrics, but they just don't seem to work in my mind. In fact some of them make me cringe ... especially the first line, "Grace, it's a name for a girl." Really, Bono, that could have been better!

I like 4th of July as an instrumental.

jick said:

Grace having horrible lyrics? Perhaps you are not so well-versed with the Christian faith - hence your inability to comprehend the message and beauty of the song's lyrics.

Cheers,

J

Sure, jick. :rolleyes:

I never said I didn't like the message of the song, but the lyrics just aren't very good. I defer to ~*Buffalo*~:

In fact some of them make me cringe ... especially the first line, "Grace, it's a name for a girl." Really, Bono, that could have been better!

the instrumental of please from the VMA 1997 rehersals blows my mind every time i hear it. amazing

U2 instrumentals rule. End of story.

First time I head Boomerang I, I loved it. I always hold it dearer over Boomerang II. First instrumental I heard of there's was Things to Make and Do which I've got from a show live in Boston in 1981. (You can get it at U2rome.com) [whoever said they've only got live versions of this, I can email the original (B-side of A Day Without Me) studio track if you like. Just gimme your address...?

One thing I'd like to hear is the full Bass Trap, I'm yet to hear anything longer than the edited version on the Best of 1980-1990's B-Side disc.

Also, 4th of July...now there's an Instrumental...

"the instrumental of please from the VMA 1997 rehersals blows my mind every time i hear it. amazing"

Where can I find a copy of this??

Love all those instrumentals.....

But on the subject of "Grace", isn't it written about the woman in the Bono/ Chris Tucker AIDS special we saw on MTV? Lyrics took more of an impact on me after seeing that show.....

Back
Top Bottom