U2 in trendy stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 songs tend to stalk me

I remember hearing I Will Follow in a Gap Outlet, that was fun, i was walking around looking at pants singing along and i was getting all these weird looks. :eeklaugh:

And then i walked down to the other end and they started playing Beautiful day in claires. I also remember MW playing in CVS once :)scratch: Cheap nail polish moves in mysterious ways?) and i was in a Today's man store (think ties, stuff for dads) and Baby please come home came on.

My theory is that myself and all U2 fans have some kind of U2 song ESP, so that U2 songs follow them whereever they go. It happens on the radio too. I'll just have the random urge to turn on the radio and stuck will come on, or i'll hop in the car and in two seconds i'll here Lardences drooms from SBS. Does this happen to you guys too?:shrug: Ah well.

Re: U2 songs tend to stalk me

rockonedge said:

My theory is that myself and all U2 fans have some kind of U2 song ESP, so that U2 songs follow them whereever they go. It happens on the radio too. I'll just have the random urge to turn on the radio and stuck will come on, or i'll hop in the car and in two seconds i'll here Lardences drooms from SBS. Does this happen to you guys too?:shrug: Ah well.

I know what you mean!!!
I'll be listening to a song on a station, when all of a sudden, I get this U2-ey feeling that I need to change stations and BAM!!! U2 is on!!!

Yep that's happened to me. The other day I forgot my cd's and was flipping around the channels to avoid commercials when I finally settled on one and the urge hit me to switch stations and sure enough there it was I Still Haven't Found...just starting. Right before Christmas I had been listening to a cd and decided to switch to the radio and had been thinking about wanting to hear Baby Please Come Home and it was the next song.

Just about every time I went into the shops this Christmas I heard U2 ... mostly 'Electrical Storm' (which is really strange because I have only heard it ONCE on the radio here :( ... but I've heard a lot of others as well ... a lot from 'All that You Can't Leave Behind' ... I don't mind at all ;)

If I'll have a LUCKY DAY, I always get signs from the speakers of the stores. When I get my ticket to Dublin I got SIAM and right before I met Bono I listened In Dublin HMV the Amstrong mix of the Stay... And I knew something would happened.

Anyway, here in Hungary I often heard SIAM, Desire, Fly, Electrical Storm...

...em...to digress a bit back to the issue of sweat shops & the garment industry....the exploitation of child & women labor in non-western countries is indeed a very REAL and UGLY issue. Go to sweatshops.org or sweatshopwatch.org to educate yerself on this.

...we all choose our own battles, but this is issue is just another bit of unfairness that that powerful nations impose on smaller ones....kind of like DEBT....

If Bono got behind this issue, you'd all listen....you are all good of heart, I'm sure, so check this issue out on your own....

ok...I get down off soapbox now...
:wave:

Cow of the Seas said:
surely you know that you can find better clothes (and ten times cheaper without the big label!) almost anywhere else.

And would these clothes be sweatshop-free? If so, are there any stores you can recommend?

glad someone mentioned the sweatshop thing because thats one of the reasons i dont shop at Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic since they are the same company. My sisters think I'm odd because I refuse to wear the clothes from there. Bu last time that I went with my sister they were playing Disco so I didn't complain as much.

ThatGuy said:

And would these clothes be sweatshop-free? If so, are there any stores you can recommend?

well for starters, dont look for clothes with massive labels.

actually i cant recommend you any stores. rather, i say look at the tag on the article of clothing your interested in, and see where its made.

if its made in indonesia or some other far away (from america) country, theres a good chance it was made by very young hands.

but go to those websites that the other person mentioned.

seriously people, you should consider boycotting places like the gap.

Yes...Let me boycott every major clothing store...and then right after I'll get out my sewing kit .. :p

I think a better solution would be to straighten some of these governments out that ALLOW child labor in their country...

MaPhisto said:
Yes...Let me boycott every major clothing store...and then right after I'll get out my sewing kit .. :p

I think a better solution would be to straighten some of these governments out that ALLOW child labor in their country...

i completely disagree.

there is no way the government will listen to a few of you, when such company is making hoards of money from it.

you can take action, and you can do it immediately.

think about WHY you want to spend 70 dollars on a pair of jeans and sweater...think about WHY you cant wear the same clothes minus any logos for waaaaaaaay cheaper...think about why you WANT to wear clothes with logos.

whats so great about having a huge swoosh on your shirt anyway? people that do look like complete tools.

its all a status symbol, and a rediculous one at that.

elevation2u said:
glad someone mentioned the sweatshop thing because thats one of the reasons i dont shop at Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic since they are the same company

a few months ago I went and did a lot of research on sweatshops.org. Very recently there was a case that was filed on behalf of workers in Saipan Northern Mariana Islands ( where clothing is made and then purchased by the following manufacturers: gap, limited, targe, lane bryan, talbots, jc.penny, talbots and abercrombie). The clothing continues to be made there but the stores have settled and agreed to monitoring of conditions as well as making a one time contribution to a fund that will finance this monitoriing program as well as compensating more than 30,000 workers.

In other words, these companies are FAR from perfect but because of pressure they have been forced to make some changes.

There are , however, MANY companies that refuse to cooperate with the settlment but has since stopped doing business with Saipan. One of these companies is LEVI Strauss, which in my opinion does not care about HUMAN RIghts.
Another is Forever 21, which is a local store in Los Angeles and has made a lot of money manufacturing cheap trendy clothing and selling it in their stores in local malls while employing workes in unsanitary conditions with limited bathroom breaks.

It is right to educate yourself about what's going on out there. But it's also nearly impossible to find a place to go "shopping" for a shirt or a dress. Gap is no better than Calvin Klein, and POLO Ralph Lauren is no better than KMART. They all pay for cheap labour and much of the time it is made by children. Unless you're buying an Aran Sweater in Ireland, chances are it was made by a young kid making 30 cents a day.

oktobergirl said:

a few months ago I went and did a lot of research on sweatshops.org. Very recently there was a case that was filed on behalf of workers in Saipan Northern Mariana Islands ( where clothing is made and then purchased by the following manufacturers: gap, limited, targe, lane bryan, talbots, jc.penny, talbots and abercrombie). The clothing continues to be made there but the stores have settled and agreed to monitoring of conditions as well as making a one time contribution to a fund that will finance this monitoriing program as well as compensating more than 30,000 workers.

In other words, these companies are FAR from perfect but because of pressure they have been forced to make some changes.

There are , however, MANY companies that refuse to cooperate with the settlment but has since stopped doing business with Saipan. One of these companies is LEVI Strauss, which in my opinion does not care about HUMAN RIghts.
Another is Forever 21, which is a local store in Los Angeles and has made a lot of money manufacturing cheap trendy clothing and selling it in their stores in local malls while employing workes in unsanitary conditions with limited bathroom breaks.

It is right to educate yourself about what's going on out there. But it's also nearly impossible to find a place to go "shopping" for a shirt or a dress. Gap is no better than Calvin Klein, and POLO Ralph Lauren is no better than KMART. They all pay for cheap labour and much of the time it is made by children. Unless you're buying an Aran Sweater in Ireland, chances are it was made by a young kid making 30 cents a day.

i hope all those people who posted in the first two pages of this thread read what this intelligent person has to say.

please educate yourself.

Please style out in your hand knit sweaters and patch-work pants : ) as for me...I'll still be in Banana Republic and Abercrombie...and I doubt too many minds that already posted in this thread will exchange their style.

Child labor...once again...is up to the government to regulate. Thats by far the best way to get results. Otherwise your just wasting your time...(and looking bad while doing albeit). BEsides...if you regulate US clothing companies from using child labour...foreign manufactorers will take advantage of this and have their child made and far less expensive clothing enter the market...and then where are we? Less US companies...more foreign competitors...WIthout government regulation, child labour will continue to exist in third world countries where skills and education are lacking....

Last edited:
maphisto you are a COMPLETE CORPORATE TOOL.

how does it make you feel? you think those that dont shop at major outlets or buy clothes made by little hands are ugly? whats wrong with you, seriously?

in all honesty, i say this a lot, but your post was the most stupid and ignorant post ive read in a long time.

A corporate tool? Because 1) I believe in government regulation as opposed to boycotting 2) Because I favor more freedom for major companies (and in no way am I saying using children is right, because its not...I just favor a different method of abolishing it...and until these third world countries smarten up and reform their governments...its not going to happen. Until then, its useless to not buy something I want because child labour *MAY* have been used on it...

By the way, were all the parts in the computer you use made in the US by non child labor? or were they made in taiwain? how about your tv...do you know about that? or the carpets you have in your house...or how about the food you eat? do you think that all came from the US? or was some of it from south america where they have employed kids to work in their fields...mmh....Its not that easy to escape the cheap foreign labor.

and absolutely nothing is wrong with me by the way. Shopping at Gap doesn't mean you go to hell. Don't judge me or anyone else who does. Besides, the main topic of this thread was U2's music...not your political rally...you want to start a petition...go to free your mind.

Last edited:
the point is to use as little child labour as possible. it might be next to impossible to avoid it completely, but if you want to go shop at the gap so you can have a sweater that says GAP in big letters to let everyone know how "in" you are, you are by all acounts a corporate tool.

i don't think i heard anything when i went christmas shopping...being in the mall makes me feel really sick

So if I buy anything from a store thats a corporation...I'm their tool? mmh, I'm Gap's tool, Dell's tool, and even Mcdonald's tool...LOL.

maphisto, you cannot possibly be playing the ignorant corporate rat better than you are right now. i wont waste my time on you anymore, for you simply do not understand, and likely never will.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom