U2 in the Super Bowl...how low can they go?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't care if they do or do not play the halftime show. regradless, my message for U2 is this:

GET YOUR ASSES BACK TO IRELAND AND MAKE A NEW ALBUM!

i'm sick of them americaninzing. i like the irish/Unforgettable Fire/slane castle/sunday bloody sunday vibe in them. by january, ATYCLB will be a very old album and the elevation tour will have been beaten to the ground.

unless... they have a new album that they'll be promoting at the superbowl... *gasp!*

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

All you "so-called" fans .... Fuck off.

Bunch of whiney cunts the lot of ya.

Don't like it, go buy a Creed album or something and get fucked.

Fuckheads.

Fuck I'm pissed. Wanna smash your whiney faces.

doctorwho pretty much said it all, and quite succinctly.
But a couple of points:
1. Regards to the tour being extended a couple of times, they are a rock band, and touring is part of what they do. I'm sure there are some people in St Louis, Tampa and a few other place quite happy that they extended the run a bit.

2. Superbowl: A year ago when I heard Aerosmith was gonna perform I was happy, it seemed better than most halftime shows of the past, of course after seeing what they did, bit of a different story.
If (big If) U2 plays halftime, I imagine it to be done in a pure U2 manner, not what Aerosmith did and it will be great and the largest TV audience of the year will see them. Good for them.

OF COURSE IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

IT'S THEIR JOB, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

Everybody will be crying and complaining once the tour is done...they'll wish U2 were still going strong.

The Super Bowl performance will only help keep them popular, sell more records, and be more appreciated.

That's what they're trying to do as a band: sell records!

Is being invited to perform at the single most popular television event in the world a bad thing? Obviously, the producers want to keep people watching during halftime so they can sell more advertising at a higher rate. U2 would definitely keep more eyes on the show instead of changing to another channel or leaving the room. I think the producers and the NFL know this is a given.

Also, even if this would be a ploy to sell more records, so what? They are making music to make money. Radio stations are preprogrammed and play the same old crap day after day.
This is a great opportunity for the world to see what U2 fans have known for years, U2 rock. I do agree if they do end up performing with Destiny's Child or another group then the performance will be weakened. Bono has shown an appreciation for other forms of music such as hiphop so they may perform with another artist(s).

------------------
You give it all but I want more

confused.gif

I'd like to give u2 the benefit of the doubt.
A lot of their decisions as of late--i'll be the first to admit--have raised a number of questions in my head. But at the same time, i can't criticize them, as i am not in their shoes. as long as they are making these decisions with a pure heart, that's all that matters. And more importantly, as long as I still feel that energy, vibe, and sense of vitality when they're performing, i'm satisfied with them continuing on with this tour and any other performances they choose to do...and so far, so good.

It just depresses me because I KNOW they'll play "Stuck" and maybe "New York" or "Elevation" AGAIN. No older material. Hey, they're promoting an album, I understand, but throw us a suprise!!! How 'bout "Stuck" and "The Fly" or "WTSHNN?"

10 minutes... that's, what, two full length songs?

didn't U2 perform at an NBA game or something earlier this year.

so what if they got a gig at the superbowl, like it's the end of the world or something.
we don't control their lives. why let it bother you.

and anyways isn't this thing a rumor anyways?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I love U2 "fans" who think the band owes them something.

God forbid your favorite band play at the Superbowl.

God forbid your favorite band promote their latest album and play songs that many people enjoy hearing.

God forbid you go to a U2 show and they don't play (insert your favorite obscure song here), thus short-changing you in some way.

God forbid U2's last few shows don't immediately sell out and tarnish their reputation, which in turn somehow reflects badly upon you.

If you're that upset about it, find a new favorite band. Better yet, find something to be positive about, U2-related or not.

If the Super Bowl features my Packers in the game and U2 at halftime (BY THEMSELVES), I'll be one happy PopFly.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

"Actually I think you're right about that one. I've always thought they made music because they loved it. But I'm not so sure anymore."

Why can't you have both ways? I absolutely adore my chosen occupation in life, but I'm also doing it to make money for myself, and I'd like to get as much money as possible from my job.

"I can't see why you, or the members of the band, wants U2 to be the biggest band in the world at any cost. You seem obsessed."

Bono's always fond of saying how they were megalomaniacs from the early age,
smile.gif

Originally posted by trevster2k:
They are making music to make money.

Actually I think you're right about that one. I've always thought they made music because they loved it. But I'm not so sure anymore.
I can't see why you, or the members of the band, wants U2 to be the biggest band in the world at any cost. You seem obsessed.

Originally posted by gherman:
No.1 Areosmith are idiots

No.2 U2 are not

Thus performance will not suck

So fuck all of you who are so quick to critisise. It was the same shit when ATYCLB came out. "It's not what they promised" Blah, blah "Its not inovative" Blah, blah "It sounds too much(LOL) like U2"

Jesus FUCKING Christ, Shut up!
What the fuck have U2 done so wrong that they need this kind of bull shit from thier own fans.

I hate to say it but this person said what I was REALLY thinking....

I will say that I wish U2 would have not added any more dates. Would be great for them to take a little time to rest, regroup and get back into recording new stuff. I also wish they still were playing the Fly, Gone, Even Better, etc... But hey I got Please!!!! They can play what they want, and I can wish for what I want, God knows they will never match.

As for the Superbowl -
What I find interesting is that the complainers here seem to think that U2 asked to be in the Superbowl. U2 were the ones who were approached people, not the other way around. The NFL obviously needs U2 more than U2 need them. This is why they got nsync and Britney last year. they were the biggest performers around. Now U2 is the biggest performer around. They want them BAD!

And if you were in a band, incredibly successful or otherwise, would you turn down the invitation???

Originally posted by trevster2k:
They are making music to make money.

Originally posted by U2FReAk:
Actually I think you're right about that one. I've always thought they made music because they loved it. But I'm not so sure anymore.

I don't understand why U2 can't enjoy making money and making music at the same time.

I enjoy my job, while at the same time enjoy the money it provides.

And I thought this was about Adam doing the limbo
frown.gif

------------------
made of pen and ink, she will win you with a wink

[This message has been edited by Betty Boop (edited 11-20-2001).]

Maybe they should start doing everything for free. And before they do anything, they should run it by their fans for approval via an internet survey. That'll keep 'em from SCREWIN' UP again.

Maybe they should focus on re-applying for the BEST band in the world and not the BIGGEST band in the world. The latter title is uncontested, the first title is subject to debate.

If they keep this safe, paint-by-numbers-U2 up of ATYCLB and the accompanying degrading promotions (you WILL buy this album), they run the risk of turning into the Corpororate Lite Rock mosters they've always stood in stark contrast to. They're walking a thin line at this point.

I'm somewhat taken aback at some of the cheap shot replies this thread has garnered. If you don't agree with my opinion(s), fine, I'm happy to hear yours. But lets keep the debate scholarly and impersonal!

Back in their early years, U2 made bold statements that weren't always popular. Now it seems that they are finally being joined by the majority and it seems like more people are agreeing with U2's stances...not the other way around. I consider it a huge success that U2 would be asked to perform at the Super Bowl, if they choose to do it.

People think that being popular is ALWAYS a bad thing...a selling out for the sake of a few extra dollars. Well, I agree that U2 are probably more concerned with finances than they were in the eighties and nineties, but I also think that more Americans are opening up to their music and relishing their talents.

Let's all look at their recent actions from a different perspective.

I'd love to see them play the Super Bowl. U2 can basically do whatever the hell they want....They're U2.

i don't see what people are fussing about.

come on this is the band that made a movie about themselves, this is the band that traveled the world with a 100 foot screen and put themselves in a lemon everynight.

as if playing a few songs at the super bowl would hurt anything.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
They ought to haul out the lemon for this one
wink.gif

bwah-ha-ha!
biggrin.gif

i just hope it's not tacky. last year's performance was actually decent (despite the artists involved) because it was minimalilistic. i hope U2 doesn't let anyone bully them into a fiasco.

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

U2 has always through out their career engaged in some effective marketing. U2 used to tour the radio stations in the early days. Read Carter Alans book to see how they got New Years Day on the playlist of several radio stations. There is nothing wrong with this and I think its great. I'll take a great live performance at anytime anywhere.
Another part of U2 history is the history of fans at ALL different phases of the bands career claiming that U2 "had sold out" What a big no no no it was when U2 played the Silver Dome in Detroit instead of the Joe Louis Arena. Crazy, there is nothing wrong with that and it allowed 40,000 extra U2 fans to see the band. U2 fans complaining in 1985 about shows going from the Theaters to the Arena's. The list could go on.
I think its awesome that U2 are playing the Superbowl and will give millions of people who may not have seen the band play live before do so. Why deny all those people that opportunity?

U2's fans are glad to see them anywhere, any time. Sounds like you are probably not too much of a fan anymore. What Bono said at the Vegas show about it being a privilege for U2 to be playing in America right now at this time, and he thanked us. U2 belongs in the Superbowl, and U2 can play anywhere they want.

Back
Top Bottom