U2 in Rock N Roll Hall of Fame... What songs should they play?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Alright... IMO it is inevitable that U2 will be voted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame since their eligibility will start next year, they've contributed tons to past HOFs, and they at least have a VH1 Legends documentary ;)

I don't whole heartedly like the concept of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame but IMO the positives outweigh the negatives. With that said- ever since they've been broadcasting the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, the one thing I've been looking forward to, are the performances and the end of the night jam.

U2 is probably going to get to perform songs. Probably three songs IMO. What three songs do you think they will perform for the audience.

I think (prefer as well) they will perform One, Where the Streets Have No Name, and With or Without You... classics all the way...

Pride might actually replace one of the Joshua Tree songs IMO, but I defintely think its between those four. I really doubt they will play songs from their new album (IMO).

Sunday, Bloody Sunday should be in their b/c it would be nice to have a song that defined early 80s U2 in the mix but for some reason I can't see the band doing it.

Actually, symbolically, it would be nice if they did SBS, Streets, and One, but I doubt it will happen like that.

I'm really looking foward to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame with Prince being inducted...

I have to agree with the both of you...its really between the songs you have mentioned.

The thing that bothers me is how stale the crowd is at the HOF ceremony and that all of those songs, minus "One" don't really work with a bunch of people sitting on their hands in their seats.

To really enjoy the life in their songs, I feel like I need to see them perform in a crowd filled with THEIR fans, unlike the Oscars or even the fake fans who rushed in at the Super Bowl.

Hopefully at least one song from each of their periods... I hope for SBS, ISHFWILF, One or MW, and then BD.

And maybe something off the newest album by then. ;)

I think 'One' has its stamp on the ceremony seeing that so many publications have given it so much praise (Q magazine ranking it their best song)
...as well as the band itself has credited that song for really bringing them back together in recording AB. The power of that song must've been something to see and feel in the sessions at that time.

I think we need to hear the new album before we can discuss which songs they will play....my choices for right now would be:

1. New Year's Day
2. One
3. Beautiful Day

Classics, each and everyone of them.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. One --> Unchained Melody (or any of the other songs they've used with One)
3. I'd like this to be New Year's Day, but that's just dreaming. I'd think it'd be Beautiful Day.

Maybe swap two and three.

It would probably be:
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride
One

But I wish it was:
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Until The End Of The World

Or maybe:
The Electric Co.
New Year's Day
Gone

I think they should do One, SBS, and BD. Three classics--especially since they won't be particularly playing to their fans because it won't be one of their shows.

Not that these would necessarily be the songs i would want to hear, but i think they would perfrom the following:

Streets
Pride
One

Streets and One are almost definitely getting played, and I think something from the new album.

My personal 'this would be REALLY cool!' list;

1. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
2. The Electric Co.
3. Gloria

Beautiful Day.... I really can't see it being in there... U2 classic? I don't know... give it couple of years IMO.

Bad and New Years Day made sense to me but I would think songs like Pride or SBS would get the nod over them just b/c those songs had a huger impact on the masses IMO.

If U2 plays something from the new album, no matter how well received that album is, it would IMO sort of just make their Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction offensive to some people, I think. I think the precedent is usually the inducted band/ artist/ etc. playing their accepted classics.

However, I could be wrong. Did Aerosmith go against the grain? I wasn't sure. That was the impression I got, but not sure. I also wonder if U2 might put a spin on their songs just as the Police did...

I think "I Will Follow" might get a look though....

Can't wait to see the jam....See, the reason why the new album is taking so long is b/c the Edge is practicing for his future Rock HOF jam... gotta look closing the show, y'know...

Last edited:
Song from new album, a really heavy rock piece that gets ANYONE in the mood, (possibly the album opener, which I'm hoping will be excellent, because it would make for a great concert opener as well...)
One
Acrobat

great comment from Flying FuManchu about making the Hall of Fame induction seem offensive to some people by not playing the accepted classics, maybe throwing in something new or unexpected ...

i dont think any band in my distorted memory has gone into the HOF with so much 'momentum' (insert laughs here) or continued popularity...they dont seem aged enough to be hung with all those black and white photos and sealed behind air tight cases

ill go with many here and say
one
streets
new song

in this order...finish set with something new to go out and buy, give a listen to...make a statement that they havent rolled over and died with the dinosaurs of R&R past

It would have to depend on what kind of audience.
I'll have to list 2 setlists depending on what kind of crowd they expect.

Out Of Control
Bullet
UTEOTW

AIWIY
WTSHNN
ONE

Of course SBS and Bad would be a good chance too.

well they have several they could play..not neccessasrily what i want them to play, but still-U2 live is always something I have to see. They are going to play 3 of these songs:
-with or without you (#1 hit? seems like a good choice to me..)
-Beautiful day
-One
-Pride
-Streets

I dont think they'd play something new..but thats just me. I am interested on who will do their induction speech. Tom Morello? Chris Martin? there's lots of posibilities

What are people's reasons for putting in Beautiful Day? Its probably my favorite songs on ATYCLB outside of In A Little While but it just doesn't resonate as a "classic" to me yet.

Is it because its a "Beautiful Day" for U2 being inducted or is it just to represent every decade of U2?

Flying FuManchu said:
What are people's reasons for putting in Beautiful Day? Its probably my favorite songs on ATYCLB outside of In A Little While but it just doesn't resonate as a "classic" to me yet.

Is it because its a "Beautiful Day" for U2 being inducted or is it just to represent every decade of U2?

I think many people would be putting it in just because it's currently the most popular and well-known U2 song. But that's speculation on my behalf.

I posted a less-than-serious set of three before ... seriously, One and Streets might as well be guaranteed due to their legendary status. I'd like to say New Year's Day would be the other one, but I can't see it happening. Pride, perhaps?

Or they decide to have fun and play this;

Heartland
Boomerangs I and II
Zooropa
Comfortably Numb, even though it's not by them
The Three Sunrises
Spanish Eyes
The Fool!

Yep, I can so see that happening!

Back
Top Bottom