U2 in 3-D Concert Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Mysterious ways: U2 in 3-D concert film

By Gregg Goldstein

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - U2's Vertigo world tour may soon create a real sense of vertigo among moviegoers as the Irish rockers are planning to release their first 3-D concert film next year.

The untitled feature, being readied for a summer or fall release, will draw from more than 700 hours of footage shot during the trek's South American leg in February and March. In conjunction with its release, U2 might take part in the first live 3-D performance projected in theaters nationwide.

The film was directed by Mark Pellington ("Arlington Road"), who began his career by shooting U2's seminal "One" video, and Catherine Owens, a creative director on several U2 world tours.

A representative for the band called it "the first-ever 3-D multicamera live shoot." Editing is underway in New York. Discussions are under way with several major studio distributors.

3ality Digital Entertainment, the project's producer, put together of the largest assemblages of 3-D camera technology ever used for a single project.

It is expected that the film will screen nationwide using the Real D technology put in place by theaters that showing the current digital 3-D release of "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas."

Real D unveiled the first theatrically projected live 3-D event last week at the ShowEast convention of movie theater owners in Orlando, Fla. It is planning a live 3-D concert presentation next fall, and sources said it might be a U2 concert.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

:hmm:

Ooo... Mark Pellington... I like him.

This sounds really interesting. I hope it plays somewhere around here.

I demand goofy fly shades as 3D glasses.

But if that thing someone said earlier this year was true that won't be happening. :(

I wonder how much it will feel like being at an actual concert? Anyone think the tickets will sell out fast? How funny/bizzare would that be if people qued for a few hours to see it!

"Real D unveiled the first theatrically projected live 3-D event last week at the ShowEast convention of movie theater owners in Orlando, Fla. It is planning a live 3-D concert presentation next fall, and sources said it might be a U2 concert."

Does this imply that u2 might be touring next fall? When they say a live 3D event, do they really mean that it's "live."

2morrow said:
I wonder how much it will feel like being at an actual concert? Anyone think the tickets will sell out fast? How funny/bizzare would that be if people qued for a few hours to see it!

that is exactly how it went when Rattle & Hum came out back in the late 80s. I went to see it in the theaters and the lines were literally around the block and then some on opening nite. Then it was like a concert inside too the whole audience got into as if they were there ... gave me goosebumps then and still does now when I think about it. People were singing along, clapping, screaming it was surreal!

U2Fanatic4ever said:

that is exactly how it went when Rattle & Hum came out back in the late 80s. I went to see it in the theaters and the lines were literally around the block and then some on opening nite. Then it was like a concert inside too the whole audience got into as if they were there ... gave me goosebumps then and still does now when I think about it. People were singing along, clapping, screaming it was surreal!

Yes it was, very cool atmosphere. If this is as good as that was (in terms of atmosphere/fan reception) I'll be very happy.

So... if they do use footage from every Latin America concert, that would be completely amazing. Some of the setlists seemed generic, but if the editors and the band would blend the songs from various concerts (Electric Co. and Bad from Monterrey for example, Fast Cars and Love is Blindness from Buenos Aires...), that would be beyond amazing.

I'm curious about this part:

Lila64 said:
In conjunction with its release, U2 might take part in the first live 3-D performance projected in theaters nationwide.

It's worded in a confusing way. Pretty much says: "In conjunction with the release of their 3D live movie, U2 might take part in the first 3D live performance in theaters"......makes it sound like there's something else in addition to the movie we already know about. Doubt it, though.

700 hours of footage?? :ohmy: What else did they film besides the Buenos Aires shows and what, two or three other Mexico/S.A. shows as practice?

It'll be cool & I'm glad to see that this is actually going to happen. Makes me not mind the 10-track Milan so much.....I'd get sick of Vertigo if I saw 3 performances....

When I saw this news on the front page I jumped up so fast I kicked my chair over and yelled "FUCK YEAH!"

Basically, this rocks. I'm seriously lining up for opoening night. I can't wait to see this film. AWESOME. Holy shit. The sooner the better. Hope if comes out this summer.

U2 are doing something new, creative, and pretty kick-ass. Money-grubbing sellouts. :tsk:

:lol:

2morrow said:

I'm going to sleep outside the theater in a tent, and stand right in front of the screen looking straight up at it. Bono will reach down off the screen and pull me into it to dance with him.

Re: Re: U2 in 3-D Concert Film

Utoo said:

700 hours of footage?? :ohmy: What else did they film besides the Buenos Aires shows and what, two or three other Mexico/S.A. shows as practice?

I was wondering the same thing. You think they might be counting each cameras film separately?

:up:
I thought they only filmed B. Aires for this Imax movie, but 700 hours makes it sound like it will be a mix of S. American shows.

Back
Top Bottom