U2 hitting new lows...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
I have just watched the Mary J Bilge collaboration video and I am totally bemused as to what I was watching. This was a live recording if I understand right and yet U2 and Bilge have gone to the trouble of actually recording a special mimed video. Are U2 this desperate to have chart success that they are now duetting with anybody they can find on 15 year old songs. It is laughable and an embarresment at this once great band of the 80's and 90's have to hoare themselves and their classic songs around to any 2-bit singer just so they can get the attention that they are so desperate for. Not only that, it actually says when this video is played on the hits channel, that it is Bilge featuring Bono. So what about the other members? I am sure I can hear the Edge, Mullen & Clayton somewhere in there or did Bilge and Bono do the instruments as well. And before anyone points to the fact they have done duets before eg Pavarotti, Johnny Cash et all, these were far different in the fact that these songs were specially recorded new songs for these artists. Unbelievable the depths this band is going to now, absolutley unbelievable. Still there achieving there aims cos its on Radio 1's A playlist, so the kids I'm sure will love it.

First of all this has been beaten to death in more than one thread.

Most channels have it as MJB & U2.

And no it's not a live recording.

And I think they did it especially for closed minded fans such as yourself.

U2 and R&B :up:

I think U2 admires Mary J. who is really good on her own. It was probable something nice they did for her....I certainly wouldn't call it a low.

The horse is dead, dead, dead, lets not beat it anymore...:|

Whether the horse is dead or not, I agree with everything that rjhbonovox states. I fear that U2 could be headed down the same road as Aerosmith.

Well look at it this way.

Nowhere to go but up, right?

East Bay Fan said:
Whether the horse is dead or not, I agree with everything that rjhbonovox states. I fear that U2 could be headed down the same road as Aerosmith.

Even all the facts he got wrong?:huh:

Wrong facts? Aerosmith doing cheesy collaborations with other artists is a fact. Did you see that awful film Be Cool? I'd hate to see U2 recording with mediocre artists.

East Bay Fan said:
Wrong facts? Aerosmith doing cheesy collaborations with other artists is a fact. Did you see that awful film Be Cool? I'd hate to see U2 recording with mediocre artists.

WTF? He didn't mention Aerosmith, that was you.

Let me ask do you like R&B?

I realize that I'm the one that mentioned Aerosmith. It's a comparison that I'm reluctant to make in regards to U2.

R&B? I'd say I like about 5-10% of R&B. I do consider R&B to be inferior to rock. Thus I consider U2 collaborating with an R&B artist to be sad statement. Talk about ruining your reputation.

East Bay Fan said:
I realize that I'm the one that mentioned Aerosmith. It's a comparison that I'm reluctant to make in regards to U2.

R&B? I'd say I like about 5-10% of R&B. I do consider R&B to be inferior to rock. Thus I consider U2 collaborating with an R&B artist to be sad statement. Talk about ruining your reputation.

.....in your eyes maybe.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Let me ask do you like R&B?
MJ Blige is not R&B.
R&B stands for Rhythm&Blues, a music style evolved out of classic blues music.

Some years ago radio dj's who obviously didn't know much about music genres decided that the music of MJ Blige and her likes is Rhythm&Blues. Clearly this is nonsense: there's not a trace of blues in what ignorant people call R&B.
It isn't soul either: that's a jazz-derived style, like what Solomon Burke does. There's not a hint of jazz in MJ's music.

Calling the "funky pop music with soul-like singing" R&B is just a plain dishonor to real R&B.

Yours faithfully,
A music purist

(there are enough other threads if you want a serious discussion about this U2&MJBlige duet :wink:)

East Bay Fan said:

Well this pretty much negates your argument...

U2's version of One w/ MJB is superior to the band's version of One w/o MJB.

That's why they did it.

And realise this, RJ is ignorant when it comes to black music. He doesn't know who Smokey Robinson is. :rolleyes:

MrBrau1 said:
U2's version of One w/ MJB is superior to the band's version of One w/o MJB.

That's why they did it.

And realise this, RJ is ignorant when it comes to black music. He doesn't know who Smokey Robinson is. :rolleyes:

While I vehemently disagree with Brau - MJB ruins 'One'(and don't tell me that I just don't want to hear anyone other than U2 singing it or that I don't 'get' soul singing, because if the rendition was halfway good I wouldn't mind it, and MJB is not soul singing) - I have to say I'm trying not to care what U2's concerns are with regard to charts and the radio and whatnot. I'm enjoying their newer stuff enough, and that's all that matters.

WalkOn21 said:

MJ Blige is not R&B.
R&B stands for Rhythm&Blues, a music style evolved out of classic blues music.

Incorrect. While R&B stands for Rhythm & Blues, its original meaning was not meant to describe the style of music. The term was made up by Atlantic mogul Jerry Wexler and it meant black pop music - music made by and for the black community. And that's what it still is today. R&B is predominantly made by black people and aimed at a black audience.

Later, people started to use it to describe Chicago-styled blues (i.e. electric and with some sort of rhythm), rockabilly and the early soul. But that is a later meaning given to that phrase.
:)

MrBrau1 said:

:tsk:

This should disqualify anyone talking about (black) music.

:)

rhythm and blues
pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Abbr. R & B
A style of music developed by African Americans that combines blues and jazz, characterized by a strong backbeat and repeated variations on syncopated instrumental phrases.

MJB is more R&B pop and I did not like the One Version Duet. Awful.

Popmartijn said:

Incorrect. While R&B stands for Rhythm & Blues, its original meaning was not meant to describe the style of music. The term was made up by Atlantic mogul Jerry Wexler and it meant black pop music - music made by and for the black community.
That's not entirely correct. R&B was indeed coined as a replacement for "race music", but didn't become a replacement of that term in the exact sense of the word.

"Race music" was a term to summarise all music made by black people.
"Rhythm and blues" is a descriptive term of the music style that race music was at that time.

So although "black music" has evolved to MJ Blige-alike music, R&B is still a term for the style black music was back then.

Compare "indie": it used to be a summarising term for independent music, but nowadays it describes a new wave-like style instead of a trend.

Corrections:

- Mary re-recorded her vocal, from what I understand U2's music and Bono's vocals are from the Shelter from the storm TV special. Not a live performance.

- yes, a single is usually accompanied by a video. Most U2-involved videos are mimed performances.

- How is U2 desperate to have chart success? They had two No. 1s in the UK, and the album sold well. This is her single, not U2's.

- Mary J Blige (not Bilge) isn't just "anybody" and a "2-bit singer". She's been around awhile now and is one of the more respected female singers in her genre.

- Well, since Mary sings most of the song and the song is on her album, exactly why should it say U2 feat. Mary J Blige?

- one of their better duets/collaborations. Mary helped get new life into a (let's face it) tired (live) song. That said, I still prefer the original and Cash's cover and I think it beats Automatic Baby version. And that said, I like this version as well. If you want to hear One ruined, try the Joe Cocker version.

Last edited:
Look, rjhbonovox, I don't like this version of One either. But couldn't you have posted this in one of the existing threads / brought something new to the discussion?

I can't believe that several of you actually like the MJB-U2 version of One. It was so bad that I left the room and walked into the kitchen. U2 should be recording with peers, others who have had amazing careers, not some "diva" that has no right to be on a stage with U2. I can understand U2 dueting with Pavorotti, Cash or REM--these are artists that have contributed to music. But Mary J Blige? She's a joke! Her genre is a musical wasteland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom