U2 hitting new lows...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cover versions are always a contentious issue, no matter what song. Because the fans of the original will probably not like what someone else does with a song they love, and people brought to the new version sometimes don't appreciate the original. I think it's often true that the firs version of a song you hear is the one you're likely to prefer - I guess I'd be sad if that happened in this case and some people who might not have heard One decided this was better than the original studio version. Fair enough if they did, I know it's allowed, lol, but it would be a shame, in my opinion.

I freely admit I am a hypocrite on this issue, because I'm fine with U2 covering songs but I hate people covering U2's. Lol! I don't mind admitting that.

You may think this version of One sucks, but it's safe to say, no matter how you feel about it, it doesn't suck as much as this thread.

ElectricalVoice said:
But here U2 is participating in a new version of One. :shrug:

Here's the way I look at it. If MJB wanted to cover 'One', and I was U2 I'd be honored that she actually asked me to take part rather than just sampling it or getting studio musicians to do it.

I don't care for MJB or her music, I don't care for her doing a cover of U2's One, I don't enjoy seeing or hearing it, and I am not thrilled that U2 is in any way involved with this venture, however that doesn't mean I don't respect the artists and what they are doing, and in no means am I planning to disassociate myself with U2 or with music altogether simply due to my disappointment in MJB and U2 collaborating on this song.

I do realize the broader audience that this song will reach due to MJB's rendition of the song and believe that is a beautiful thing. After all, it is a powerful message in a powerful song no matter who sings it. I just choose to change the channel or turn away when I hear or see it. It's that simple really.

:corn:

chickadee said:

I freely admit I am a hypocrite on this issue, because I'm fine with U2 covering songs but I hate people covering U2's. Lol! I don't mind admitting that.

I admire that you at least admit it.

I think many in here feel this same way, but don't want to admit it.

inmyplace13 said:
You may think this version of One sucks, but it's safe to say, no matter how you feel about it, it doesn't suck as much as this thread.

Why? In the last two pages, I think we have been quite civilized.

I think many U2 covers are great. And I really dislike some covers that U2 did. I dislike the U2 cover of the fantastic Kraftwerks Neon Lights among others. But it's cool that you admit that. ;)

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I admire that you at least admit it.

I think many in here feel this same way, but don't want to admit it.

That's more than likely. I think many people probably feel similarly about whoever their favourite band is. Maybe it's just because in my eyes U2 can do little wrong, and there aren't many other bands/artists I really do love. So perhaps that's why.

ElectricalVoice said:

Why? In the last two pages, I think we have been quite civilized.

Then the last two pages are an exception.

I think there's plenty you can criticize U2 for these days, but why is this duet with Mary J. Blige among them? She happens to be a very respected artist in the R&B genre. Maybe her singing style isn't your cup of tea, but she's hardly a "two-bit artist" or whatever term was used earlier. It's not like Bono doing the once-rumored duet with J-Lo.

MrBrau1 said:
This thread was destined to be crap.

Look who started it.

Another intelligent and informative post. Excellent, keep up the good work.......:wink:

East Bay Fan said:
U2 recording One with Mary J Blige is no better than had they recorded Sunday Bloody Sunday with Celine Dion.
:rolleyes:

One's a respected artist in their genre, singing a song she respects and could relate with, the other's a overrated Vegas act singing a song she could in no way relate with...

Yeah great anaolgy :|

BVS are you saying that Celine isn't a respected artist in her genre? Celine is one of the top selling female artists in the world!

A quick question...Does MJB write her own music, lyrics, etc or does she have people that do all of that for her?

East Bay Fan said:
BVS are you saying that Celine isn't a respected artist in her genre? Celine is one of the top selling female artists in the world!

A quick question...Does MJB write her own music, lyrics, etc or does she have people that do all of that for her?

Celine is a top selling performer. There's a difference between top selling performer and respected artist. Big difference.

And yes she has written and co-written many of her songs.

BVS,

pretend you've just walked into a public restroom, and 2 men are sitting in the corner, giggling, and playing with their own feces.

You have several options:

1: Join in. It's fun to play with feces.

2: Try and convince them it's bad to play with feces.

3: Turn and run.

Let's run.

Last edited:
Mary J. Blige has been around for almost 15 years now since her first album. Pretty good, I would say. 7 Albums, nice. Her latest sold over 2 million and debuted at #1. Cool. 3-time Grammy winner. Congrats.

at 15 years U2 had done covers of plenty of songs, but I guess that's ok because they are U2, and Rock muzic is teh awesome, while Hip-Hop/R&B is shitty, right? :|

Basically what this all comes down to is musical tastes. Mary J., like her or not, has had a great career and has proven she has just as much a chance to give a rendition of a "classic" song as any other artist who has been as successful. U2's music or not. When all is said and done, it's just one more cover to add to the pile of countless one's done ON and BY U2, nothing earthshattering, and nothing to get worked up about. I personally find the different version interesting and fun to listen to because Bono doesn't sing it with much emotion anymore. It's nice to see what other styles of music, and the artists that fall under them, can do with a familiar song. :up:

oh and this thread needs
Seriousbusiness2.jpg

Last edited:
catlhere said:
Mary J. Blige has been around for almost 15 years now since her first album. Pretty good, I would say. 7 Albums, nice. Her latest sold over 2 million and debuted at #1. Cool. 3-time Grammy winner. Congrats.

at 15 years U2 had done covers of plenty of songs, but I guess that's ok because they are U2, and Rock muzic is teh awesome, while Hip-Hop/R&B is shitty, right? :|

Basically what this all comes down to is musical tastes. Mary J., like her or not, has had a great career and has proven she has just as much a chance to give a rendition of a "classic" song as any other artist who has been as successful. U2's music or not. When all is said and done, it's just one more cover to add to the pile of countless one's done ON and BY U2, nothing earthshattering. and nothing to get worked up about. I persoanlly find the different version interesting and fun to listen to because Bono doesn't sing it with much emotion anymore. It's nice to see what other styles of music, and the artists that fall under them, can do with a familiar song. :up:

oh and this thread needs
Seriousbusiness2.jpg

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

It's a cover song. Nothing more, nothing less. U2 is probably honored that the song gets covered by so many different artists. People here just love to knock others down. You don't have to like Mary J. Blige, but what's the point in trashing her? What does that accomplish?

East Bay Fan said:
U2 recording One with Mary J Blige is no better than had they recorded Sunday Bloody Sunday with Celine Dion.

:huh: U2 recorded Sunday with Celine Dion ???? Is this a joke ?

MrBrau1 said:
BVS,

pretend you've just walked into a public restroom, and 2 men are sitting in the corner, giggling, and playing with their own feces.

You have several options:

1: Join in. It's fun to play with feces.

2: Try and convince them it's bad to play with feces.

3: Turn and run.

Let's run.

Your posts show great intelligence. I was convinced that the picture in your avatar was not you but on re-reading your posts then it must be you. Also if this thread is so crap then why keep reading it and more importantly why keep posting in it. I honestly believe that you love these threads cos the threads you start which go something like...."U2 they can do no wrong and are the best thing since sliced bread etc...." fizzle out after a couple of replies!:wink:

i think this thread has long since run its course. how many threads do we have to have about how much some people hate this song before it doesn't have to turn into some big, nasty flame-fest? :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom