U2 heavily featured on Q mag, summer 2001

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snippets:

...And now? Maybe the biggest band in the world again, if they fancy it.
"Ah, forget the biggest," scoffs Bono, high above New York. "Disneyland is big. On one level I feel that if you're shy and want to make private work for your friends, be a fucking potter! But what I mean by the band is The One. It's something to do with the moment that music breaks out of its box and suddenly is relevant to a wider world." His hands soar and sweep. "It's the embrace of it. That's what turns us on."

What's the most important belief you've left behind over the years?
"That innocence is more powerful than experience. Anton Corbijn did a museum retrospective in Holland, with a room full of Bonos, which was a little disturbing. There was one photo where I saw a face that I don't see any more when I look in the mirror. It's nothing to do with youth - it was a look in the eye and I think it probably got beaten out of me by the journey. It's the power of innocence."

Who intimidates you"
"When I meet my maker. The rest are easy."

Over coffee, talk turns to the recent birth of his fourth child, John Abraham Hewson. "JA," he elaborates in a cos Jamaican accent. "Jah. Jubilashun!" The baby was due just before the start of the tour, so he and Mrs Hewson decided to ensure there was no delay. "My wife Ali has an aversion to violent films, so she thought if she put on Chopper, which is made by a friend of ours, it might do the trick," he beams with husbandly pride. "And indeed it did! We got to the hospital 20 minutes before the baby was born. Twenty minutes! She's an exraordinary girl."

Is it tough being on tour immediately afterwards?
"Yeah it is. Cyberdad doesn't sit well with me. You know, I'm watching his progress on e-mail. There's something very sad about that."

foray

I think I have that, Oh yes, I got ripped, paid double the amount for some awesome pics.

------------------
THNIK

Best snippets from the interviews:

The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree. "Some people would say I'm lucky" he smiles. "I'd say...[pondering, then brightening] I'm lucky!"

We stroll into Central Park, sidestepping the joggers, rollerbladers and cyclists, until Clayton decides we've found the perfect spot. "Today we're going to do something healthy," [Adam] announces in his curiously posh drawl, unfolding his deckchair and removing his T-shirt. "We're going to watch other people exercise."

On the subject of fame [Adam] chortles, "Oh, I'm famous cos I know Bono. That's pretty much it."

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

I finally got this magazine a couple weeks ago.

I went to Barnes & Noble...and some dude was standing there reading the LAST copy!!!! I tried to play it cool and wait until he put it down...figured he was just reading and wouldn't buy...but he kept reading. I was going nuts! Our dialog went something like this:

Me: Ummm...are you gonna buy that?

Him: Uhhh...I don't know...

Me: Cuz, if you aren't, I really want to buy that.

Him: Uhhh...

Me: If you are, you can let me buy it, and I'll just rip the U2 stuff out and let you have the rest. Even if I could just have the cover from you or something...

Him: Uhhh...you can have it...*walks away, probably thinking that that chick is psycho*
biggrin.gif

Who cares? I got my magazine!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

LOL @ Bonochick
biggrin.gif

Sometime you gotta do anything to get some U2...
tongue.gif
In fact, I tried that once, to a 9 year old boy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom