U2 has two albums in top 10 Zagat survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkramer

War Child
These guys have 1000 times the credibility of Vh-1 or Rolling Stone Magazine. It should come as no shock that their list is a good one. It's comprehensive and well researched. Only blemish is no Stones album in the top ten, but hey, they tend to be loved by their songs and not the albums. Not fair, but true is true...

????
????
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZAGAT'S TOP TEN

1. "Born To Run," Bruce Springsteen
2. "Abbey Road," the Beatles
3. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," the Beatles
4. "The Joshua Tree," U2
5. "The White Album," The Beatles
6. "Kind of Blue," Miles Davis
7. "Darkness on the Edge of Town," Bruce Springsteen
8. "Revolver," the Beatles
9. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd
10. "Achtung Baby," U2

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Bruce Springsteen's 1975 breakthrough album "Born To Run" (Columbia) ranks No. 1 on the most popular albums list in Zagat Survey's first Music Guide.

Best known for its surveys of restaurants, hotels and other leisure pursuits in major cities, Zagat queried more than 10,000 listeners to create a list of the 1,000 top albums of all time, as well as dozens of other tallies across more than 20 genres and eight decades of music.

Four albums by the Beatles, two by U2, another by Springsteen and releases by Miles Davis and Pink Floyd round out Zagat's top 10 most popular albums.

"Born To Run," which peaked at No. 3 and spent 110 weeks on Billboard's album chart, is also on top of the rock and classic rock lists and No. 5 on Zagat's overall quality tally. Springsteen & the E Street Band rank eighth on the list of most influential artists, which is led by the Beatles.

Davis' 1959 release "Kind of Blue" (Columbia/Legacy), No. 6 on the most popular list, is the No. 1 album for overall quality and the top jazz album.

The top hip-hop album is Public Enemy's 1988 classic "It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back" (Def Jam). The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's 1972 set "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" leads country albums, Massive Attack's "Protection" ranks as the favorite electronica set and Howlin' Wolf's "Moanin' in the Moonlight" is at the front of the blues class.

"We knew this survey would be especially challenging since musical taste is so personal and top picks of all time stir passionate arguments," publishers Tim and Nina Zagat said in a statement. "To our delight, participants showcased their tastes with a depth of knowledge that stands up to the most critical musical ear -- these are people who know chapter and verse on their preferred genres and they avidly shared memories and associations that their favorite recordings evoke."

The Zagat survey found that fans listen to music 24 hours each week, more than five of which is conducted on computers and MP3 players. Participants spend an average $343 per year on music to stock an average collection of 516 titles; 53 percent download music from the Internet and 55 percent burn their own CDs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sorry, but there are albums obviously missing from that top 10. And as much as I love Bruce, #1 of all time? Riiiight.

Interesting list! I think there are some rather obvious albums missing though - what about Nirvana's "Nevermind" or Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" Or "London Calling" by the Clash? It's hard to find an album to leave out of that top 10 though - the only one I can think of that really doesn't belong is "Darkness on the Edge of Town." I love Bruce and I think "Born to Run" definitely belongs on the list, but I'm not even sure "Darkness" is his second-best album, let alone among the Top 10 of all time.

What the hell? It's a top ten list with five unique artists.

Is that really what people out there think or have you overrated their gathering process?

I guess this goes to show that even the best Top Whatevers of All Time lists suck.

At least Kurt Cobain wasn't on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom