U2 has made me a snob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
...well, when it comes to music, at least! Anyone else find this happening to them? I can't even stand to listen to most of today's mainstream rock. For me, it's just BLAH...And bands that keep putting out the same type of album over and over again just bore me.

Do you think there are any new bands out there right now that have the potential for longevity? What do you think is the key to longevity?

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

1. they are good
2. they are friends
3. they did not fall into the pitfalls most rock stars have, because they are good people
4. it's their destiny

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
1. they are good
2. they are friends
3. they did not fall into the pitfalls most rock stars have, because they are good people
4. it's their destiny

All VERY good points. I also think that creativity and innovation are important...Not being afraid to try something new. But maybe that goes along with just staying together. I think that if any band is together long enough, they're going to want to experiment.

------------------

U2 hasn't made me hate the mainstream music scene, the music itself has. That's why I enjoy indy artists.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
That's why I enjoy indy artists.

What's the best way to find the really good ones?

Does anybody think mainstream music will get better anytime in the near future? God, I hope so...

------------------

I was a snob before I found U2.

They only gave meaning to my life :-D

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Originally posted by wertsie:
What's the best way to find the really good ones?

Does anybody think mainstream music will get better anytime in the near future? God, I hope so...

It doesn't look good for mainstream music unfortunately. I can't wait for the crap music to go out so it will be made fun of.

My son, age 15, is into indy rock. He is always searching for new bands online. One of the places he goes is audiogalaxy.com. He bugs me to take him to rare music stores- we went to one tonight. He has bought a lot of weird stuff the last few months, but I'm glad he likes that and hates System of a Down and that junk! Oh, he is a U2 fan too. He went to six shows with me. He really likes Brian Eno and all his previous work.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 04-27-2002).]

For me U2 is the best band in the world. They are very creative with their music in which every album is totally different.
Their live concerts are far more interesting than other bands.Their music is not at all borring like todays music.They have been around for 20 years and still have bigger fan following than anybody else.

Originally posted by SoulNation:
For me U2 is the best band in the world. They are very creative with their music in which every album is totally different.
Their live concerts are far more interesting than other bands.Their music is not at all borring like todays music.They have been around for 20 years and still have bigger fan following than anybody else.

Exactly.

I am sort of a snob myself, I can't stand to listen to hardly anything that is mainstream -- that, and money issues, is why I own so few CDs other than U2. I don't mean that I hate everything that isn't U2, by the way -- I just mean that I hate most stuff because it just can't compare. It has to grip me, impress me, and make me want more -- a tall order, and not that easy to do.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

I totally know what you mean, wertsie! People hate riding in the car with me because I'm so picky about the radio stations. I can't stand the whiny, formulaic rock that permeates the radio waves these days!

I've also been told that I'm "stuck in a time-warp because I don't appreciate the music that artists of my generation have to offer." Ummm...ex-CUSE me?? I'm sorry, but what the hell do bands like Fuel, Puddle of Mudd, and Three Doors Down contribute to music anyway?!
mad.gif
DAMN! I could go on and on and on about bad bands of "my generation", but I'll just stop right now.

What's the best way to find the really good indie bands?

MP3s.. read what people are saying about them on the internet, download them, listen to them, if you like them, buy the cd. That's how I operate. The record companies are so agains mp3s, not only because people download NSync instead of buying the CD, but because people can so easily be exposed to non-mainstream music, which they will discover is often far superior.

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
Good indy bands recommded:
Pavement
Guided by Voices
Built to Spill

Pavement broke up

the last couple of Guided by Voices albums have by no means been as good as the stuff they did mid 90's

Built to Spill ?

what the heck is supposed to be indy music anyway?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

...well, when it comes to music, at least! Anyone else find this happening to them? I can't even stand to listen to most of today's mainstream rock. For me, it's just BLAH...And bands that keep putting out the same type of album over and over again just bore me.
I agree completely! U2 and ASIA both make me feel that way. However, there is a new band called Tribe Of Judah, that I absolutely love. It is fronted by Gary Cherone, ex singer of Extreme and Van Halen.

Originally posted by Salome:

what the heck is supposed to be indy music anyway?

Stereophonics are supposed to be indie music despite the fact that they're on Richard Branson's Virgin label. Heh.

indy or indie music = bands on independent labels, not signed to majors.

some bands you might enjoy:
the promise ring, boy sets fire(probably signed to dreamworks now) elliot (not elliot smith), cursive, sunny day real estate(broken up but have one legendary album called "diary", still you should buy their albums, shudder to think(broken up after signing to a major, still worth checking out), avail, bouncing souls, bright eyes, modest mouse, FUGAZI, planes mistaken for stars, jump little children, saves the day, the killingtons, heavy vegetable, hum, brad/shawn smith.

it's also kind of fun to get into bands that are long gone, defunct. like the smiths, vaselines, the recplacements etc. sometimes when current things suck, it's cool to remember how great things used to be.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

U2 is really one of the only "mainstream" bands I actually listen to.

Other than that it's artists that are known but not heard on the radio, like Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, etc.

Little darling, I feel the ice slowly melting
smile.gif

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

i agree.

however creed is really good at playing the instruments and playing the good music and are the good band.

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Whatever you do, be sure to check out a band called "Elbow". They have 1 CD out called "Asleep in the Back" and they are fantastic.

Hmmmm...I saw that in the bookstore weeks ago, but wasn't able to listen to it. Well, with your recommendation, I shall!
wink.gif

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
i agree.

however creed is really good at playing the instruments and playing the good music and are the good band.

*SMACK

And now you will be sentenced to a punishment of being tickled for the duration of one hour while listening to Scott Stapp pass a kidney stone, which was captured on the latest Creed album.

Originally posted by kariatari:

*SMACK

And now you will be sentenced to a punishment of being tickled for the duration of one hour while listening to Scott Stapp pass a kidney stone, which was captured on the latest Creed album.

Ah, so THAT's what he's doing! Suddenly everything has become clear!

------------------

Elbow is fantastic!
biggrin.gif
Also listen to Doves.

------------------
"Look for oceans walls/ to gaze upon/ these distance stars/ yeah, these distance suns/ are all the reasons/ are all the reasons/ the only season in my life" -- Neil Halstead
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Wow, I always seem to be able to get discussions going, don't I? Cool! haha

I think my brother has some MP3s of Boy Sets Fire. I'll have to check on that. As well as some of the other bands people mentioned.

Oh, man, the other day, it was so hard for me not to laugh (or scream or cry...whatever!). One of my roommates at school was leaving and she was complaining about how she's bored with all the CDs she has. Well, hmmmm...Could that be because she buys any CD of the latest snore-a-thon "rock" band??? Yeah, I'm DEFINITELY a snob. So most of the time I keep my mouth shut because I KNOW I'm a snob. So I just come here to gripe. Ha!

------------------

Love for U2 has actually made me a snob to pop...and rock music with shallow lyrics. I've always been open-minded about all sorts of music...well, except country and hip hop.
biggrin.gif
Anyway, I love lounge, electronica, trance, etc., when it came to rock, I found myself a little bit more discriminating, since I became addicted to U2. I know what you mean, wertsie. U2 has so much depth that it makes you say "puh-leez" to other bands. Don't wanna sound arrogant, but I'm sure other U2 fans understand what I'm getting at.
wink.gif

Whatever you do, be sure to check out a band called "Elbow". They have 1 CD out called "Asleep in the Back" and they are fantastic.

Originally posted by dizzy:
Love for U2 has actually made me a snob to pop...and rock music with shallow lyrics. I've always been open-minded about all sorts of music...well, except country and hip hop.
biggrin.gif
Anyway, I love lounge, electronica, trance, etc., when it came to rock, I found myself a little bit more discriminating, since I became addicted to U2. I know what you mean, wertsie. U2 has so much depth that it makes you say "puh-leez" to other bands. Don't wanna sound arrogant, but I'm sure other U2 fans understand what I'm getting at.
wink.gif

soooooo glad it's not just me!

------------------

Back
Top Bottom